“Beautiful hotel, impeccable service and good value”
Review of Villa Gallici

Villa Gallici
Ranked #2 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

We booked a night at the hotel with their "Le songe d'une nuit" package for a romantic weekend in Aix.
We arrived early (about 10am) and instantly a room was prepared, and we were offered champagne. The hotel is beautiful, it's decorated in Empire style and the attention to detail is sublime.
We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a junior suite and the room was fantastic. The bath is set on a marble plinth above the bathroom and feels fantastically luxurious.
The level of service is exceptional without being over attentive; every time we left the room it would be tidied and candles and roses left in the bathroom and the bedroom.
Afternoon tea and breakfast were included in the deal and were delicious.
The hotel itself is about a 5/10minute walk from the center of Aix and about a 20 minute walk from the train station. It's close enough to allow you to wander into town but far enough out to be free of the bustling tourist crowds.
In terms of value for money we found the hotel excelled and I'd recommend investigating their website deals.
I'd recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a romantic getaway in luxurious surrounding. We had a perfect weekend.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Caspar D

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We were travelling around Provence and staying at nice but different levels of accommodation. We stayed here for a relaxing Relais experience and villa Gallici gave us that perfectly.

They were good enough to upgrade us to a junior suite as a surprise and we very much appreciated that. It was spacious and very comfortable with a terrace. The staff was unfailingly friendly and helpful including giving some suggestions for Aix. The main part of the town is a ten minutes or so pleasant walk which we enjoyed but it is easy to get a taxi if that is a problem for weather or other reasons.

We chose this based in part on tripadvisor reviews and it delivered perfectly what we were looking for in a very relaxing overnight stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vague travellers
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel and it was extremely nice. I highly recommend it. Location, food, service, rooms, all awesome. Good to go with spouse or for the whole family. It is a good place to stay when you are visiting the little towns in Provence, you can rent a car and come back and forth from the hotel everyday.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FlaviaPacheco
Reviewed 28 October 2013

ok, i'm spoiled.. having done business travel that my husband's company paid for, we've been to some superb hotels. This was lovely but frankly, the staff at our small hotel in Arles was better. a longish walk to town, would have expected more food options at dinner (price at 95E had NOTHING on the menu I ate except an appetizer.. they did try but there was just nothing for me)the grounds and gardens are lovely as was the outside patio from our room. We had two good weather days to enjoy that.. one of the best values was the cheese plate for room service.. for 15E, it was more than a meal for two. bathroom was great and the room charming too. it just over all didn't "do it for me" for $500+ per night.

Room Tip: we were in room 15 and 16.. mind there is no elevator so you go up and down stairs multiple times da...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank catsandroses
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This boutique hotel is absolutely adorable! the staff and the attention to detail is extraordinary. The facility is priceless with a gorgeous entry, pool area, gardens and interior. The staff is truly lovely and so accommodating. They obviously love their jobs and the environment is a true slice of heaven. The room was beautifully decorated and well appointed with all the amenities you could think of. We had a beautiful terrace overlooking the pool with a comfortable bed and plenty of storage for clothes and luggage. The bathroom was spacious and well lit with all the amenities. We did not have a shower which was a little bit of a surprise. WiFi was spotty. We were a 15 minute walk to the downtown area. We usually walked to the downtown area and took a cab back. Not a problem. If weather is an issue or heels- a cab is easy! This is a true gem in Aix. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone wanting a lovely, gracious and delightful experience!

Room Tip: We had a fantastic room but the bathroom did not have a shower! i hate to complain because it was a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We were so excited to try this hotel as we know several people who have been. I must say, the grounds and room were extremely lovely. The garden is beautiful, and the room charming and immaculate. The problem was in the restaurant and with the check-out woman at the desk. When you are spending three to four hundred dollars for dinner, you would expect some respect. The head waiter was rude twice to my husband. Once when we asked why the butter was wrapped in paper, and the other when he asked for there to be an abundance of chocolate sauce on his dessert.

But the icing on the cake came at the end. While we were checking out, the woman handed me a copy of the bill. I looked it over, it was correct. Then she ran my credit card. She never bothered to ask me if I wanted to be charged in dollars or euros..she just rang it up in dollars (about a $20 difference). In the eleven days we were in Europe this is the ONLY place this happened. A few minutes later, it dawned on me and I looked at my credit card receipt. I noticed the dollar charge not euros. And on the bottom of the credit card receipt, it clearly states: You are agreeing to pay in dollars and this is non-reversible. When I went back to her, more snottiness. She says " you didn't look at what you were signing?" I said I only looked at the bill print out carefully, not the credit card printout. Let me just say, any Four Seasons in the universe would tell you they would correct it. She was completely rude, and said there was nothing she could do. I find it HIGHLY interesting that this is the ONLY time this happened on our entire trip. Am sure there are other gorgeous hotels in the region you can stay at where you won't encounter this attitude (we stayed at another Relais Chataeux in Eze, and they could NOT HAVE BEEN NICER!). A few of the staff people were lovely (check in woman, waitress in restaurant) but beyond that my memory of this place will be stuck with what I am writing about...and oh, did I mention I saw a guy spraying air freshener trying to mask the smell of must in several parts of the common area! We would never return, and would strongly discourage people from eating in their restaurant, where the service was rude and the food completely bland.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Hungrymungry22
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Our room, a duplex, was very pretty, however, bathroom fixtures were leaking and beautiful tub faucet did not work! A long walk to town and not a very pleasant one at night. Very disappointing and would not recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple