“Relaxing and romantic relays and chateau villa in Aix en Provence”
Review of Villa Gallici

Villa Gallici
Ranked #3 of 68 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Relaxing and romantic relays and chateau villa in Aix en Provence”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for several days over the May Day holiday in 2014. We stayed in a deluxe room which was beautifully finished with a door to an outside courtyard and garden. The home is gorgeous and is situated in a quiet neighborhood about a ten or fifteen minute walk to the center of Aix. Villa Gallici has an excellent reputation for its food and we were not disappointed. The food and, particularly, the staff were just outstanding (your slightest wish is our command) and we had a lot of fun here with the staff as well. Nice room, nice food, and close to Aix where there is a lot to do. I would consider Villa Gallici as a good place to be the center of an exploratory trip around Provence. If you are looking for a romantic , quiet and comfortable getaway in Provence, with good food and great service, this is the place. The rooms are a little pricey but we felt that our three day, two night experience was well worth what we paid for it.

Room Tip: I believe that any of the rooms in Villa Gallici are comfortable and interesting. The hotel staff c...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. Firstly its location is on the outskirts of Aix up quite a steep hill so be prepared for a 10-15 min walk into town. It has lovely well maintained gardens and the interior decor of the hotel is very elegant. There is a relaxing ambience to the place which is good. The staff are friendly and helpful although they should have a bellboy on hand at all occasions to help with luggage - each time on arrival and departure we had to manage ourselves. Now for the quirks. In our room no.12 the air conditioning didn't work - it seems a common problem in some of the other reviews. Also the wifi didn't reach our room - maybe the walls are too thick. Breakfast selection was fairly poor for the price and you have to sit on very ornate chairs and tables designed for people 3 feet tall. It reminded me of sitting on Thameslink trains in London.

4 Thank Bullfinch6
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Arriving at the wrought iron gate, which sometimes is slow to be answered, with the sharp slope into the tree lined property I felt I was entering a private aerie and it was.
Villa Gallici is a beautiful property that was lovingly laid out and is well maintained.
It reminds me somewhat of the Bel-Aire Hotel.
But as ingenious and caring the owners were when they built the property some decades ago, they could not overcome the physical limitation imposed on them and the rooms, though well done are SMALL. Unless you have a room with a terrace off it they can be claustrophobic. Some have their huge baths on the second floor. We were offered one but declined. Ours with a deck off it was well appointed and comfortable as long as the doors were open.
As caring as the designers were in the décor they were not into 21st Century life and the need for electric outlets and the Baglioni management, which currently runs the property, has done nothing to improve this.
I had the choice of the espresso maker of my computer at my desk and had to plug my I-phones across the narrow space at the foot of the bed. Plug in the night tables or lamps on the night tables on either side of the bed are really not an expensive solution.
The internet was week and did not work in some rooms. It is not costly to put router-extenders throughout the building, but just needs management to think of it.
The weather was not good during our stay so dining on the terrace was not possible. I found the chairs in the dining area not so low and too small, and the menu too heavy. I realize food is a personal choice but something smaller than the big dishes offered would have been appreciated.
It would also be nice if the property had a bar or library that guests could meet after dinner as opposed to talking between table or adjourning to ones small rooms.
The staff was friendly and we found efficient, though the light in one of our closets did not work and was not repaired despite being reported twice..
Town is at the foot of the property but while one can walk there, walking back is uphill. Cabs are easy to get but do not stay they thinking it is in town; it closely overlooks it.
I found Villa Gallici to be on balance a comfortable place and a perfect base from which to visit Aix.

Room Tip: 23 has a second floor huge bath but if you do not like climbing stairs at night avoid.
sao paulo, brazil
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This hotel is situated 10-15 minutes on foot from the old city. The property is gorgeous, and the rooms well appointed. Breakfast was ok, nothing special; its service was very slow and highly contrasted to the service we got at dinner time at their restaurant (which was fantastic). In the first morning I was unable to get a boiled egg, even after asking for it twice...

The other issue was with the wifi connection. Our room has no wifi connection, although it was present in the rest of the hotel. They did change us to another room on the second night, but they were able to do that because they had avaibility; I imagine if that happened in high season. What I think it is worst is not the fact that the wifi did not work at this specific room, but the fact that they certainly know that this room has no signal and did not spend 40 dollars to install a router there...Some people do not care about a functioning wifi connection, but if you, as we do, think it is relevant from a confort and security point of view, check with reservations if the room you are booking has an adequate connection.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Haifa
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Very elegant decor, outstandingly nice lobby, room was quite small, with no air conditioning (they have it but it was still tuned for heating so we could not cool down the room in a hot afternoon), staff was very welcoming and helpful

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank David Y
Florianopolis, SC
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I write this review as I lay in my bed for the last night in Villa Gallici. I'm sad, because I know I will miss this experience forever. From the gate in, it was perfect. Without a clue the best Hotel I have ever been. And when it comes to hotels I can call myself a big spender. The redhair lady that checked us in on March 15th was cute, attentive and kind. When she showed us our room it felt better than Home. Then romenian boy that kindly carried our bags and later waited us with some wine is also an explendid person. Very polite, corteous and lovable.

Not to write too much. I would recommend everyone I know to stay at Villa Gallici, all year long, for longer they could.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FernandoDaquino
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We recently spent 2 nights at the Villa Gallici and had a lovely stay. The front desk employees were extremely pleasant to deal with during our visit. The one thing I would fault them on however was their overly enthusiastic recommendations to restaurants advertising on their complimentary map, which immediately made us question their motives. Hence we found our own way to Restaurant L'Epicurien which I would highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends