“Delightful location, wonderful ambiance and pretty amazing food!”
Review of Lavault - CLOSED

Lavault
Price range: US$19 - US$44
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I booked this restaurant based on other great Tripadvisor reviews and I wasn't disappointed. The restaurant is a little tricky to find, so we did a 'dry run' earlier in the day to see where it was, rather than be roaming around aimlessly later. We had a table outside, which was great, because it was a beautiful, balmy, Mediterranean evening and we got a chance to people watch as well. Our server was a very, very pleasant lady (she may have been Dutch) who spoke perfect English, so I was glad to leave my pigeon French on the shelf for the night. I chose foie gras in brioche for my starter and it was magnificent. My fellow diners opted for the scallops, which they found to be equally delicious. For the main course I ordered hake, but unfortunately the chef had not been able to find any that day, so they substituted it for another fish (can't remember which) and it was still delicious. But I have to say that my all time favorite part of the meal was my dessert - white chocolate cheesecake - oh my! - it was literally the best cheesecake I have ever eaten in my life! Totally stupendous. My mother ordered lemon posset with shortbread and I had a chance to taste that as well - heaven! I make shortbread myself, but this one was much superior. I guess you have to go to France to get the good stuff!

All in all it was a tremendous evening with delicious food. I would've given the restaurant five stars, except we sauntered by on another occasion, hoping to get in without a booking, which we did (and on the same table!), but we had very slow service on that occasion and I ordered duck which was extremely tough. In fact, we spent so long waiting for the meal, that we skipped the dessert, which was a shame, as the desserts are truly fantastic.

However, despite this, I would still try Lavault again.

1  Thank Leopard_Lil

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We enjoyed our dinner very much. No reservation, came from walking around the old city. The waitress was very attentive with good English. Courses were beautifully presented and served, and very delicious. To be honest everything on the menu looked promising. The atmosphere was very nice, quiet but no museum, with a mix of tourists and locals. The meal was not cheap, but if you like to spend a little more from time to time, this place will not disappoint.

1  Thank Xj0hnnyX
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Their menu is posted and gives you choices as to the number of courses you want. The dishes are creative and tasty. I enjoyed a started of open ravioli of duck & apricot with foie gras & mushroom sauce. Then sea bass with crab & pea risotto & shellfish bisque. My husband had filet of beef with fried potato, foie gras & truffle infused jus. We shared his desert of frozen chocolate mousse with coffee ice cream & caramel sauce. In my opinion, while a little pricey, the quality of the food was well worth it. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Given the high prices at this restaurant, I can't see what all the excitement is about. The foie gras "club sandwich" was good but not an out of body experience (and I love foie gras). The steak was fine, but nothing really special given the price. I was dining solo and felt the service was rather slow and inattentive. (It took a long time to get my second glass of wine and even longer to find the waitress when I wanted my check.).

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Small restaurant, limited menu, outstanding food. Irish owner prepares gastronomical delights. Appetizer foie gras "club sandwich" is a one-in-a-million treat. Eat outside or in.