“Not as great as I expected”

and 1 more site!
Hotel des Quatre Dauphins
Ranked #35 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
A TripAdvisor Member
“Not as great as I expected”
Reviewed 14 September 2004

I use trip advisor extensively, and am usually very happy with the reviews of hotels and find them to be spot on but in this specific case regarding quatre dauphin, I feel that the rating was too high. Most of the other hotels I stayed at were 3 stars and one other 2 star so admittedly this hotel was on the lower end of my budget. However, it was dark, and not inviting at all. after asking to see the room (which I never do usually)I landed up leaving the hotel and staying somewhere else even though they charged me for the night (which I agreed to). I will say however, that the desk clerk was extremely helpful and got me a room at a hotel down the street which was a four star for a special rate of 111Euro which was half the price of the rack rate at that hotel. I say unless you are really on a budget, maybe you could find somewhere else. One positive is that the location is excellent.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
NORWAY
Reviewed 24 July 2004

After reading the exellent reviews for this hotel I was only too happy to book two nights at this place. I have travelled extensively in France and have never been so disappointed as I was on this occasion. The hotel was shabby in the extreme and our room(in an attic) had clearly not been cleaned when we arrived and was full of dust and dustmites!There was a hole in the ceiling outside the room.The room itself was only big enough for the small 3/4 size bed.No air conditioning in June and no fire exit. My wife and I had no choice but to look for another hotel immediately. We were charged for the first night.DO NOT STAY HERE!

5 Thank Justino

Travellers are raving about these Aix-en-Provence hotels

Reviewed 3 June 2004

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of May. We asked for a room with a large bed and got the 4th floor room with 2 double beds pushed together (room 35). It was small, especially with the large bed, and the cracked tile floor and small window made it seem kind of depressing. There was a lot of noise from the streets below, better if you closed the window but then no air flow at all. Bathroom was small but room and bathroom were always very clean.

I peaked in the room next door which has a smaller bed and thus more space to walk, and also looked sunnier. I have stayed here before with 2 other people in a downstairs room with carpeted floors and found those rooms to be more charming.

Location was absolutely perfect and I thought the desk people were fine - not chatty, but tried to help when they could.

Overall, good hotel for the value and location, and since you won't be in your room too much, space not too much of an issue.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 May 2004

Extremely charming and quaint fourth-floor room with nice bathroom. Friendly front desk staff. No elevator, but that is part of the charm. Location was excellent for exploring the old city. Restoration scaffolding blocked our window and covered most of the building's exterior. Breakfast was a little pricey - it would have been a better value with breakfast included. Overall a good hotel choice.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
california
Reviewed 17 January 2004

we stayed here 2 nights in late sepember 2003. sorry for the late entry, but feel i should write a review since i've found the ones on trip advisor so helpful.

fabulous location and very friendly and helpful people at the front desk who will gladly make phone calls/dinner reservations, etc for you.
nothing special about the hotel, but it had a good feel and reasonable rates.

during our stay in Provence we found we were quite satisfied with the 60-90 euro/night hotels, since we weren't in our room much. if you require a clean room with bathroom in a great location, this is for you. if you want amenities, services, look elsewhere and spend more.of note, the hotel has no elevator, which may be of consideration to some folks.

if you have a car, park in one of the resonable garages recommended by the hotel; street parking is difficult and more expensive.

we would go back again. it was perfect for our needs.

• Stayed September 2003
7 Thank especiallyyou
Reviewed 13 February 2003

This petite hotel is very small, sweet and elegant. It is situated perfectly for walking the historical part of town. Just outside the doors is the fountain with daulphins, a romantic place to stop and rest! If you are coming for a short time as a tourist, this is the best place in town to be! The rooms are small and unpretentous, but so tastefully done! We stayed on the second floor in a very clean and quiet room. Parking is tricky, as one will have to park half on the sidewalk and half in the street (adds to the fun!). The guys behind the desk are not all that personable, not sure why, but that really did not matter to me (it's always fun to try and get the French to smile a little!). This is without a doubt the best hotel experience for the money we had in France.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 October 2002

This little hotel is a definate winner. Located just two blocks from Aix's main boulevard, the Cours Mirabeau, it's location is perfect. The staff at the front desk is very kind and helpful and they all speak english. There is no elevator in this building hence the 2 Star rating. My room was small but very nicely decorated and impeccably clean. The bathroom is small as well, but very functionable and again - very clean. A wonderful continental breakfast with croissants, baguette, butter, jams and coffee or tea is served in the breakfast room accross from the reception desk. Again, this breakfast-room is very tastefully decorated; the tables have linen tableclothes, which are changed after each breakfast guest. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Hotel des Quatre Daupins.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member