Hotel des Quatre Dauphins
La Maison d'Aix(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Cardinal(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Pool
Negrecoste Hotel & Spa(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Spa
Hotel Saint Christophe(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Restaurant
Boutique Hotel Cezanne(Aix-en-Provence)
  • Room Service
All reviewsno elevatornice small hoteltop floorgreat locationcours mirabeaubaguetteside streetbreakfast roomquartomarket
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 November 2008

This small, family-run hotel is a gem in Aix-En-Provence. The proprietors are very helpful and gracious in helping even the most timid traveler feel at home, and the rooms are very comfortable, with lovely Provençal color schemes, comfortable beds, and modern, en-suite bathrooms. The price is right, too, and the location is convenient, yet quiet.

If traveling in Aix, it's worth a stay: great place, great value.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I feel that I need to stick up for Aix-en-Provence as it seems to have been suffering a few attacks. I have studied and lived in Aix-en-Provence and it is a bourgeois/student town. However, it has so much to offer if you venture away from the generalised/under-researched guide books. The problem is that many guides describe Aix as if they have passed through on a whirlwind checklist tour. Therefore the 'grands cafés' of the Cour Mirabeau and pretentious restaurants and boutiques are always mentioned. What isn't mentioned is the beautiful architecture and amazing café culture as well as some lovely parks. Maybe I'm biased, and maybe if you are a tourist wanting to tick off the big sites then this isn't for you. But Aix is the Paris chic of Provence (but with a warmer welcome) and you have to enjoy it for that. The Quatre Dauphins is a classic French hotel, and perfectly located- just a few minutes from the Cours Mirabeau, and if you keep walking in a straight direction you will reach Parc Jourdan which is a lovely little park next to the university. I get upset when tourists shrug off places before they have even discovered the hidden gems of these beautiful towns. Go and visit the amazing food market in Place Richelme then, at about 1pm, watch as it gets miraculously transformed into an extended outside café area. Have a few apéritifs, watch the world go by and find a little restaurant down the rue de la Verrerie followed by a night cap on the cours Mirabeau. There, it wasn't so bad after all!!

• Stayed: September 2008
4  Thank Fairy2410
Reviewed 16 October 2007

Been staying here for several years & although the staf are great, the quality of the rooms is dropping. Desperately needs some painting & fixing.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LarieM
Reviewed 1 July 2007

My wife and I stayed in the Quatre Dauphins for three nights in June 2007. We also had the chance to compare it to another hotel - The Cardinal just a few streets around the corner.
I think, some the American reviews are a bit unfair. Of course, the rooms are small and there's no elevator. Hey, it's a 18th century building! The location is great, the staff is friendly and very helpful and one is based absolutely in downtown Aix.
Breakfast is little value for money, but at the end of the street, in the carrefour bar, breakfast was available for just 5,20 € per person.
Apparently, one has to either love or hate the quatre dauphins, we loved it.
We also loved Aix for it's beautiful old streets, the nice cafes and the overwhelming choice of good food. We thaught that there's much to see and had six great days in Aix, including some hiking in the Ste. Victoire Mountains and a trip to the beach at Carry-le-Rouet.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Provence2007
Reviewed 8 June 2007

Asked for a quote for a room with a bidet and shower. They came back with a quote for 79.60 euros all taxes and service, no breakfast. I confirmed with a credit card. They came back with a message saying it replaced the previous email and that they were confirming a room for 9 days at 86.60 euros and that 30% of my stay would be charged to my credit card if I cancelled. Well, that should have been a clue but I didn't change anything.

When I arrived, they did not have a room with a bidet which we needed for medical reasons. We stayed one night and I told management we would have to find another hotel since they did not provide a room with a bidet as requested. I was immediately told I would have to pay the 30% cancellation fee. I argued with the manager but to no avail. And this 30% was not a minimum, it was on top of any services used. For example when I setteled they charged my 18 euros for coffee and croissonts.
I upheld my end of the agreement but they did not deliver the room with a bidet. I saw no way to avoid them charging my credit card which was about 250 euros.

I would advise you select a different hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RonMorroBay_Ca