“Charming Hotel - a bit special”

Hotel des Quatre Dauphins
Ranked #39 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Reviewed 1 July 2007

My wife and I stayed in the Quatre Dauphins for three nights in June 2007. We also had the chance to compare it to another hotel - The Cardinal just a few streets around the corner.
I think, some the American reviews are a bit unfair. Of course, the rooms are small and there's no elevator. Hey, it's a 18th century building! The location is great, the staff is friendly and very helpful and one is based absolutely in downtown Aix.
Breakfast is little value for money, but at the end of the street, in the carrefour bar, breakfast was available for just 5,20 € per person.
Apparently, one has to either love or hate the quatre dauphins, we loved it.
We also loved Aix for it's beautiful old streets, the nice cafes and the overwhelming choice of good food. We thaught that there's much to see and had six great days in Aix, including some hiking in the Ste. Victoire Mountains and a trip to the beach at Carry-le-Rouet.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Provence2007
There are newer reviews for Hotel des Quatre Dauphins

Reviewed 8 June 2007

Asked for a quote for a room with a bidet and shower. They came back with a quote for 79.60 euros all taxes and service, no breakfast. I confirmed with a credit card. They came back with a message saying it replaced the previous email and that they were confirming a room for 9 days at 86.60 euros and that 30% of my stay would be charged to my credit card if I cancelled. Well, that should have been a clue but I didn't change anything.

When I arrived, they did not have a room with a bidet which we needed for medical reasons. We stayed one night and I told management we would have to find another hotel since they did not provide a room with a bidet as requested. I was immediately told I would have to pay the 30% cancellation fee. I argued with the manager but to no avail. And this 30% was not a minimum, it was on top of any services used. For example when I setteled they charged my 18 euros for coffee and croissonts.
I upheld my end of the agreement but they did not deliver the room with a bidet. I saw no way to avoid them charging my credit card which was about 250 euros.

I would advise you select a different hotel.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RonMorroBay_Ca
Reviewed 6 June 2007

My husband and I are in full agreement with the Calgary and Baltimore reviews, below.
Regarding the hotel, there really wasn't anything wrong with it but there was nothing special about it, either. True, the provence bedspread and curtains were very nice, but overall the room was tired and worn. There were no common areas (i.e. in the reception area) that added any charm to the hotel.
We selected the hotel based on its recommendation in Michelin and several other guidebooks----fodor's gave it a "star" as a very special location.
We should have listened to the reviews on trip advisor---they are far more accurate: location is great but nothing else great. I certainly don't know what is so quaint about this hotel---it just came off as a very basic two star accomodation. Essentially, we got what we paid for.
Aix is also not a necessity as a stop in Provence. We were very surprised by the "outdoor mall" feel of the streets. Yes, the Cours Mirabeau is pretty and the cafe scene nice-- --but Arles is far more charming.
If we returned to Aix (which we won't) we would look for a different hotel----

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bcqajbk
Reviewed 26 March 2007

Our family (young couple with one-year-old) stayed at this narrow, centrally-located hotel for two nights, March 3-4, 2007. Despite the very pleasant and helpful staff, we found both Aix and the hotel a little disappointing, and not suited to our needs. We might recommend it, but only to singles or couples travelling on a budget who are willing to sacrifice some comfort for a little eccentric charm.

The location, just off the Cours Mirabeau, is quite good, but there is no hotel garage, just a public parking lot several blocks away, and old Aix is a bewildering maze of narrow one-way streets. The woman at reception spoke excellent English and gave us a map, which she marked with directions. No elevator, so we had to climb five flights of stairs. The room was a shock: by North American standards, it was unexceptably tiny. Once the baby cot was set up at the foot of the bed, there was no room to stand or open luggage (no drawers or shelves anyway) and the crazily slanted ceiling with exposed wooden beams forced my husband, who is of average height, to crouch when he ventured off the bed. The spread and curtains were tasteful, but many of the floor tiles and bathroom fixtures were worn. The bed was nice and firm - but there was nowhere else to go! Eventually, I adjusted to the cramped space and even began to see the room as unique and fun, but my husband continued to view it as shabby, uncomfortable and a poor value. We slept very well with the windows open and the breeze blowing in, but the room would be absolutely suffocating in summer.

I'm afraid we were in some ways immune to the graces of Aix, too, like the reviewer from Baltimore below ("Underwhelming"). With a baby, we weren't interested in cafe life or high-end shopping. We enjoyed our trip to Cezanne's studio, but couldn't follow the 45-minute lecture in French. The food was expensive and ho-hum. Neither Aix or the hotel particuarly suited us, but they might be appropriate for the traveller who doesn't care for standardized, predictable accomodations.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank eatigs
Reviewed 29 June 2006

my family stayed in several rooms at hotel des quatre dauphins over a 2 week period in march. the rooms are small (the showers even smaller), but the location and the staff of the hotel are fantastic. and the price is right. the rooms were charmingly decorated and there was no smell of smoke in our rooms, although smoking is permitted. you are steps from the cours mirabeau and the front desk was incredibly helpful. we left for several days to travel to paris and they stored our big bags until we returned with no extra charge or hassle. being on the main street side (forget the name of the street) can be noisy. and there's no elevator, so the 3rd floor trek could be problematic for older people. but i would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2006
12  Thank edt1532
Reviewed 5 November 2005

This is a very small hotel in an excellent position very close to Cours Mirabeau. Rooms are small but charmingly decorated in Provencale fabrics. My room overlooked Rue Roux Alpheran and was very quiet. Staff were most helpful. This hotel is fairly basic(no mini bar or safe) but so appealing it simply doesn't matter. I love it

• Stayed: September 2004
16  Thank curryking
Reviewed 29 January 2005

I booked a room here based on Tripadvisor comments. My wife and I stayed one night last July. There's nothing wrong with the place, exactly, but it feels run down, and it's probably a little expensive for what you get. If we ever returned to Aix, we'd definitely try another hotel. But here's something else to consider: Why go to Aix at all? There is really nothing to see. My advice is to skip the city entirely, unless you are interested in shopping, shopping, shopping. Go to Arles instead. Go anyplace. Aix is just a big mall.

• Stayed: July 2004