“home away from home”

Ranked #27 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
indiana
“home away from home”
Reviewed 6 May 2009

My husband and I stayed in this lovely hotel for 5 nights total from April to May 2009. We traveled around France and Monaco and always went back to this hotel when we went back to Aix where our daughter is studying for the semester. The staff is outstanding - extremely helpful and accommodating. They go out of their way to make your stay a wonderful experience. The hotel location is perfect as it is close to great places to eat, shop,the tourist office, the train, et al. Walk up to Cour Mirabeau and you're facing Bechard where you can delight in their calissons (don't leave without trying these!) and other tempting pastries.Love love this hotel! Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Romagna
Reviewed 10 April 2009

I stay at Les Augustins every time I'm in Aix. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the location is ideal, right in the heart of town. They are ready with restaurant recommendations and things to see and do in town. The rooms are nice and clean and on many occasions they have gone out of their way for me. It's a great place to stay. The only somewhat negative point I can think of is that I wish the breakfast were more copious.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Sao Paulo
Reviewed 4 October 2008

I wanted to change my reservation with a 72 hour notice. No way, the hotel wanted to charge the first night anyway!!!
Therefore, I decided to stay there.
The access by car is terrible and I had to leave my car at a public parking lot 5 minutes away (nice when it rains).
The room was almost acceptable, but rather dull-looking for such an ancient building... The bathroom was terrible also: (i) no curtain for the shower... and (ii) a permanent water leak that kept the floor always wet (the guy at the front desk explained the plumber simply did not want to come and fix the problem...).
Breakfast is more than simple: bread, coffee and no choice of juices (OJ is mandatory)...
I paid more than US$ 750 for two nights there...
The whole thing has NO charm at all.
The only positive aspect is the hotel location...
There are plenty of other places to stay in Aix and vicinity. Do not go to Les Augustins!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — All the rest
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 July 2008

We stayed a night in early June 2008 and were very pleased with the room and the service. Great location for walking in the city. No trouble finding the hotel from the directions given, and parking building quite close. Priced about right.

• Liked — Building character and location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne
Reviewed 14 December 2005

We stayed at this hotel with a group which occupied 17 rooms and we all found it to be a charming hotel. I would say it was one of the best three star hotels I've ever stayed in! The staff, the rooms and their presentation, the breakfasts, the ambience and the location of the hotel left nothing to be desired. I am mystified by the earlier reviews because they are so far removed from our experience. I would definitely stay there again and I'd recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank mickrick7
London UK
Reviewed 21 July 2005

I made a reservation at this hotel about 6 weeks before my trip, and as instructed, called to confirm my room 48 hours beforehand. I was told that my reservation was no longer available, despite having given my credit card detials to secure the room. Firstlly he implied that I had not confirmed in time, so the room had been given away, but on pointing out that it was 48 hours before my arrival he told me that I had never made a reservation. The hotel had no more rooms available and were very rude and unhelpful when it came to sorting the matter out. The reservations manager was dismissive and treated me like some kind of idiot. The tourist board were very helpful and found me another place to stay. If you must stay here - make sure they send you a written confirmation of your booking!

Stayed July 2005
15 Thank C4L
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 June 2004

We stayed at the Hotel des Augustins for two evenings as part of a bicycle tour through Southern France. We had a very nice experience. The desk people were friendly. The room was spacious by European 3-star standards. The hotel was charming in decor and the location was great.

The best part of the experience was the private balcony off of our 3rd level room. The lift takes you to the 2nd level of rooms so you have to carry luggage to the 3rd but it's well worth it!

• Stayed January 2005