“Perfect location, very friendly staff”

Hotel Saint Christophe
Ranked #29 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We lucked onto this one. Had been staying at 3 star hotels, were concerned about what this one would be like, but it is a steal. I would agree with above reviews that it seems like a 3-star hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank LauriePie

Reviewed 1 May 2011

I did quite a bit of research to try to find the best hotel for me in Aix en Provence. I noticed this hotel kept getting 2 stars or maybe sometimes 3. However the reviews were fantastic, so I decided to give it a try. I got a good deal on expedia.com. The hotel is in the PERFECT location. The train station is about a 5 minute walk away - you literally exit the station and go down Avenue Victor Hugo and voila! the hotel. It is situated right by the big fountain on the Cours Mirabeau.
The first room I was given had two small twin beds and smelled of smoke. I returned to the desk and kindly explained that I had requested a double bed. The front desk attendant was more than happy to switch out my room. The room I received was small, but had a nice double bed and was very clean.
Positives:
- Great staff, very friendly
- 10% coupon for dinner in the restaurant - great food
- Bar is ideally situated for people watching and prices are reasonable
- Location, location, location. The other option on here which was highly rated was the Hotel Cezanne - but that hotel is almost on top of the train station and no where near the centre of Aix life like this hotel
- English is spoken well. I speak French but all the staff seemed to speak English well
- The rooms are a bit odd; you have to lock the door after you leave. I'm used to self-locking hotel rooms and so I came back on my 2nd day to find a nice note in broken English from the housekeeper reminding me to lock my door. Nothing was missing.

Negatives:
- I wanted a snack, a salad around about 4pm and was told the kitchen was closed until 7pm.
- Bed was not very comfortable, and pillows were a joke
- No shower curtain in the shower (despite a showerhead), which meant the bathroom got very, very wet. There wasn't even a rod, so I'm not sure what I was supposed to do
- No washcloth
- Toiletries were replaced sporadically
- Wireless internet was free but did not function well at all

I could see why the hotel wasn't 3 star... it is lacking the softer, finer touches that some of the really luxurious hotels have. But for the price and the location, it is easy to overlook them.

Room Tip: Ask for a newer room and a double bed
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank aliavoyage11
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I was unsure what we were getting ourselves into with a 2 star hotel, but was happily surprised when it turned out that this small hotel was more than sufficient. The rooms (we had an upgraded and updated room) are small by USA standards, but not unbearable and very clean, and the bathrooms are a decent size. There is a restaurant and bar attached that seemed very nice - and the staff were all very friendly. The location is fantastic too!

Room Tip: UPGRADE for a lagrer room and updated room!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank LeeshM
Reviewed 12 November 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Saint Christophe for 3 nights while visiting Provence. It made for a good base to explore Provence but I'd highly recommend renting a car and Aix en Provence itself is a charming little town with some great restaurants.

The hotel had both renovated rooms and rooms with the old decor wen we were there. I would recommend asking for one of the renovated rooms which were quite nice and more modern, much like a boutique-style hotel. The beds were very comfortable, our room was sufficiently soundproofed and we could not hear any street noise once we closed the window. Bathroom was a good size and the shower was great. The free wi-fi worked quite well too.

The staff was friendly, check-in and check-out fast and efficient. We didn't spend too much time at the hotel, but while we were there we didn't have any problems. Price was decent as well.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dano476
Reviewed 27 October 2010

This is a pleasant hotel, in a great part of Aix, but we were not able to control the temperature in our room, and so it was very hot overnight. It didn't help that when we opened the French door, the disco down below was in full swing, and the smokers outside were abundant, filling our room with enough smoke to make e feel like I had ingested an entire pack in a night. One saving grace was the extremely polite and efficient staff. I would be very careful about which room I had in the future, so I recommend it with reservation.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CanadianGalTravels
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights while in Aix for some business meetings and was overwhelmed by the place. I was originally trying to book at a few other hotels in the area that were highly rated on this site but they were all booked. I thought I was settling for "second tier" hotel but was completely satisfied and in love with this place by the end of my trip. The location is about as perfect as you can have in Aix since it is within walking distance to everything. I had one of the luxury rooms and it was amazing. It was very modern in styling and had a steam shower, a huge soaking tub and a very comfortable bed. It was just perfect and so much more than I expected for a hotel at this "class" level. The resturant serves a good morning buffet breakfast but I would encourage you to walk around Aix and sample all the flavors. The hotel has free wireless internet that worked flawlessly and the service and hospitality of the staff were excellent. I will stay here every time I return to Aix now.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank fromano621
Reviewed 3 October 2010

The Hôtel Saint Christophe is conveniently located a few minutes walk from the very centre of Aix-en-Provence. You won't remember it for anything particularly good or bad, apart from the small size of the room, but if what you're looking for is a decent accommodation close to the heart of the town, the Hôtel Saint Christophe will suit you.
Beware that the hotel offers two types of standard double rooms: rooms with shower and rooms with bath. Those with bath are more expensive, so, if the shower is enough for you, you should explicitly ask for a room with shower. The same distinction also applies for the suites.
Although we had reserved a standard double room with shower with a great advance, at check-out the receptionist tried to charge us 9 euros more than the price we had reserved for, as if we had booked a standard double room with bath. The mistake was promptly rectified when we showed our reservation print-out, but it was somewhat disappointing anyway.
Breakfast is not included in the price and is not cheap either, as it costs 11 euros per person. You'd better opt for one of the brasseries in the surroundings.
The hotel charges 12 euros a day for its parking. If you have a car, you'll probably need it, because parking in the neighbouring streets is rather difficult.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple