We visited Aix for the first time as part of a two-centre holiday (Avignon as well). The Aquabella is a stylish and modern hotel on the outskirts of the centre, about 10 minutes walk from the Cours Mirabeau (main street). Our room was large, light and airy, with great views of the garden and the Roman walls. It was spotlessly clean, with a comfy bed, lots of storage and great shower with plenty of hot water. Staff were pleasant, helpful and (mostly) at least bilingual - which was a help as we visited during the French transport strike and had to change travel plans more than once.
The restaurant's a bit or a curate's egg. Breakfasts are terrific, especially for France. There's a huge variety of food: fruit, yoghurts, pastries, toast, cheese and ham, and even a limited cooked selection for those who want it. Lunch (outside on the terrace) was OK, but a limited selection if you don't want meat-on-a-skewer and salad every time. However, our biggest disappointment was with dinner: much trumpeted, but sadly failed to deliver - at least for us. We found it a very confusing offering, with limited choice, and the more adjectives on the menu, the more disappointing the taste of the food. Maybe we're not the target audience (or insufficiently gourmet-minded to appreciate it), but we found much better value by walking into town and taking pot luck from the wide range of eateries there. And on that point, it may not sound far into town - but it's a fair way back, uphill, in the rain . . . . .
In spite of the challenges, we thoroughly enjoyed our time in Aix, and we'd go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of Aix en Provence, surrounded by a magnificent Mediterranean garden, you will find the Aquabella Hotel. With 108 comfortable rooms. Our charming hotel, open 24/7 all year round, promises you a unique stay where everything is done with you in mind... Let go and emerge yourself in the serene, contemporary surroundings, taking advantage of the Sensory Spa and heated outdoor pool (open from May to September, weather-dependent). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Aquabella Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aquabella Hotel Aix En Provence
- Aquabella Aix En Provence