“Superb hotel with amazing staff”

Renaissance Aix-en-Provence Hotel
Ranked #3 of 68 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
“Superb hotel with amazing staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed for four nights at this hotel with two kids. The staff at every level very amazingly courteous and helpful and we loved the size of the rooms as well.

A special mention about Jakob at the front desk and Lola at the bar who took very good care of us and attended to all of our numerous requests.

We will most definitely be back !

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Vikram23
Eric R, Directeur général at Renaissance Aix-en-Provence Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear vikram23,

Let me please thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your positive experience at the Renaissance Aix-en-Provence hotel with us.

I am proud to see that you have been impressed by our staff willingness to offer the best service, in particular Jakob and Lola who both embody perfectly the Renaissance Aix en Provence spirit to serve.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again in Provence.

Very best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

This new Renaissance is perfect all the way around! What a beautiful and well thought out hotel---the service, the rooms, the decor, everything is absolutely flawless!

A very special thank you to the General Manager, Eric Robert, who made our stay so great from beginning to end. Especially the morning I woke up sick, he called a doctor to the hotel within 30 minutes. It turned out I needed antibiotics---the hotel found a pharmacy right away and I was off sightseeing again by the afternoon. Incredible, wonderful, personalized service.

Marriott Mom's Tips:

The hotel has lovely, spacious standard rooms with 2 double beds. Our family of four was pleasantly surprised by how much room we had and how comfortable we were, normally being used to a suite.

For dinner, the hotel restaurant provides the children with a small box of treat and toy---so sweet and so much better than the typical coloring sheet!

Don't miss out on the nightly turn down service---always a lovely meringue or small cookie....and the housekeeping---they even folded the children's clothes that were left out--wow!

The kids will love ordering pancakes and waffles with the open kitchen chef each morning at breakfast. My husband and I agreed, it is the best breakfast (and fanciest!!) we have ever experienced in any of the Marriott brands.

Park your car when you get there and forget about it--you can walk to all the sights, shopping and restaurants---it makes a for a very relaxing vacation.

This is our second stay at a new Renaissance this year. We are so impressed with the brand!

2 Thank MarriottMom
Eric R, Directeur général at Renaissance Aix-en-Provence Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear MarriotMom,

I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at the Renaissance Aix en Provence hotel and I want to thank you so much for the time you spent to share your positive comments with us on Tripavisor.

We are doing our best to surprise our guests and their children as often as we can, this is Renaissance style, Live Life to Discover is our credo and I am so glad that we met your expectations with a couple of little tips.

I am looking forward to welcoming you and your family again in Provence.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Renaissance in Aix for 3 nights.

The rooms are large, extremely comfortable and well furnished.

Location is a short walk from the main shopping and eating spots, and also the older part of the town which had some great hidden reataurants.

Staff were great, the Reception Desk was more than happy to make dinner reservations for us at a restaurant we found.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear ckb8,

Thank you to share your experience at the brand new Renaissance Aix en Provence hotel with us.

I am pleased to see that you appreciated the staff helpfulness and our great location at a walking distance from the city center and Aix most interresting attractions.

I do hope hope that you will visit us again next time you will plan to travel to Provence.

washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed in the Renaissance in April while on trip through the south of France. The hotel was a wonderful surprise. It is brand new and gorgeous! The beds were very comfortable. Had a beautiful bathroom with a spa shower that was terrific. The room was really well thought out down to the night light, it was a motion detector so if you got up in the middle of the night it turned on. The restaurant was great as well and the hotel staff could not be more accommodating and helpful. It was a few block walk to the center of Xix. We used the hotel as base for traveling around and it was a good choice and location. Definitely stay there!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a spa shower, it is really great!
Dear Ritzcarlotngirl,

What a pleasure to see that we met your expectations during you stay at the Renaissance Aix en Provence hotel in april.

We try to surprise our guest as often as we can and it nice to see that you have been charmed by the place, its design, your room and functionalities, the staff willingness to offer the best service and the central hotel location with regards to Aix city curiosities, restaurants, bars and attractions.

Thank you very much for your comments, I hope to welcome you again very soon in sunny Aix en Provence.

Best regards,
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Just left a few days ago. This hotel provides excellent service, fine dining and a great and helpful staff. Would have rated it 5 except for Internet. Kept dropping my login and business printer out of ink for my 5 day stay (staff helpful by printing a document and delivering to my room within minutes). Hotel just opened a few months ago. Still a few bugs, but very few. I would go back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear BostonPete1947,

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your stay at the Renaissance Aix en Provence hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience, we are currently working hard on our Internet network together with our provider to improve connectivity and speed. This should be fixed within next month. The studies conducted for Internet coverage prior to the very recent opening of our hotel were not that good, we are currently adding the necessary antennas to offer a proper and performant Wifi network.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Danville, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

My wife and I just returned from a five night stay using Marriott points. Overall, it was a great stay!

I reviewed my reservation online the day before arriving, and noticed that as a Platinum member I had been given a double upgrade to a “view” room. This was confirmed when I checked in. My view was of the “old town” roof tops and the hills in the distance. Not something you will want to spend a lot of time on, but pleasant enough. Also, the window does open, allowing for some fresh air into the room.

I was offered my Platinum arrival gift. It was a choice of the points, or a salty snack and beverage, or a sweet snack and beverage (there may have been additional options). I went with the salty snack and a half bottle of wine. We were accompanied up to the room by the front desk clerk that checked us in. Awaiting us in the room was a full bottle of red wine and sweets. We were called a few minutes later and asked if since we already had a bottle of red wine, would we prefer the half bottle that was part of the arrival gift to be something else. I thought that was very proactive. When that arrived, the salty snack turned out to be two slices of very interesting pizza with great toppings and some other items. It definitely hit the spot.

The best part of the breakfast buffet is the chef they have in the open kitchen who will make eggs and omelets to order for you. The female chef, in particular, made an omelet that I’m still thinking about. Be sure to bring your cholesterol medicine. The breakfast staff was variable with some being very happy to serve, while others seemed to be avoiding customers.

One evening we ate at the onsite gourmet restaurant “Le Clos”, which is currently open Thursday to Saturday. It is what you would expect from a chef who has had a Michelin starred restaurant in the past. The food is traditional and expensive, and the service top notch except for when we tried to get the check. The restaurant lighting is a bit much and we were lucky to have been given the only banquette in a corner that was spared the bright lights.

The Wifi in our room mostly only worked when we were standing near the door to our room. It worked very well in the public areas of the hotel, and I believe it was a problem specific to the location of our room.

Housekeeping was very responsive, and the Concierge was excellent in making restaurant reservations in advance for me.

The hotel is located among contemporary styled concert halls and is a very nice 10-15 minute walk into town, much of which is on streets closed to cars. We did rent a car, using it for our day trips out of town. Navigating our car back to the garage each evening was a bigger challenge than I would have expected. In the end, programming our GPS with the nearest roundabout intersection proved to be the best strategy. The hotel main entrance is not on a street where cars can typically drive, and the garage entrance is on a two way street with a median in between, making it essential to approach it from the right direction. You have to experience it to believe it.

We felt that Aix-en Provence and this hotel in particular was a great home base for exploring the area. Most destinations were no more than an hour drive, and for us included Arles, Les Baux de Provence, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Gigondas, Bonnieux, Apt, Menerbes and Lacoste.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ijfri
Eric R, Directeur général at Renaissance Aix-en-Provence Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear ijfri,

Thank's a lot for the positive comments you posted with regards to your stay at the Renaissance Aix-en-Provence hotel.

We try as far as we can, despite that we are a franchisee property, to recognize Marriott loyalty Card holders and I am glad to hear that it was the case.

I have noted that although some staff is friendly and helpful at breakfast some others are not, I will brief the restaurant's team to make sure that everybody will feel fully concerned about the service consistance at breakfast.

We opened on January 22, we noticed thank's to guests comments that our Wifi network is not that performant in certain areas of the building. I have an appointment this week with our provider to increase the power of the network that has been deployed according to studies.

I am disappointed that your experience at the Clos, our gastronomic restaurant was not successful. We will change the led lights for a warmer color within the month of April and we will have a look on light scenarios at that time to create a more glamour atmosphere by nighttime. I will have a discussion with the Chef about the value for money of the cuisine we are offering in this place.

Our hotel is a brand new building with a brand new address and we are trying to do our best to be properly referenced by GPS providers. This should be arranged very soon. I apologize for the difficulty you encountered to find us.

Thank you again for you comments which are so important for us to improve the service and offer a true experience for our guests.

I do hope we will see you again in Provence very soon.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Renaissance was a nice new hotel,with large sized rooms for France. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Cours Mirabeau is a ten min downhill walk and nice shops along the way. The only problem was at times there was no one from the hotel to give access by car into the property and we had to wait for 20 mins.

2 Thank Gazeep
Eric R, Directeur général at Renaissance Aix-en-Provence Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Gazeep,

I wanted to thank you very much for your positive comments about your experience at the Renaissance Aix en Provence hotel.

I am glad to hear that you appreciated the staff willingness to offer the best service.

We are unfortunately depending on the city hall services to access on the square on which the hotel entrance is located. We are working on another option to improve the arrival by car conditions.

I do hope to see you again very soon in Provence.