“recommended: quiet, comfortable and affordable”
Review of Hotel En Ville

Hotel En Ville
Ranked #52 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Chicago, IL
“recommended: quiet, comfortable and affordable”
Reviewed 2 May 2007

My experience at the Hotel en Ville was never disappointing. I traveled solo and had no problems with the staff or with my room, which consisted of a comfortable queen bed and a (not-so private) single bathroom with shower.

There are not many frills in the room -- it has a modern feel to the decor -- but it was charming just the same. The room was very open (high ceilings and two windows facing the street which, when shuttered completely, blocked out all noise from the street below) and was spacious enough for two, although the bathroom wouldn't afford much privacy if more than one person were staying in the room. I have read in other reviews that other rooms had "saloon" style doors to the toilet room, but my bathroom only had a partial wall (no door). Perhaps the room is intended for only one person? In any case, this did not damper my experience at the Hotel en Ville.

I found the staff very personable and helpful, and the location, although not smack dab in the middle of the action, was not out of the way. It was only a short walk to the center of old town. The breakfast available downstairs is delicious -- I hope they still offer it (after all, I stayed there a year ago).

I would recommend this hotel for a short weekend in Aix, as I had a lovely time and had no complaints (I can see the bathroom being an issue for some, but for a solo traveler it really wasn't a problem!). Ideal for a small party or a solo traveler, especially if you are looking for a pleasant, quiet, and unintrusive atmosphere.

• Liked — The staff and the quiet atmosphere
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 19 April 2007

Flying into the Marseille airport, we decided to take the 25 minute airport shuttle bus ride to Aix-en-Provence. A 10 euro taxi ride then brought us to Hotel en Ville, situated in a fairly busy intersection in Aix-en-Provence, Place Bellegarde.

The lobby looked interesting with artsy furniture and high ceilings. The decor was modern and updated--not exactly what we were looking for in a small Provencal hotel but it was what other reviewers had mentioned. The two-person staff were quite gracious and brought our luggage to the room.

I'm afraid the the room disappointed a little with its colorful bedspread and crazy pillows, sealed concrete floor, exposed closet, and sheer purple curtain for the bathroom door. The designer was bold but I couldn't help think it was a design student since the function was not as good as the form. The bed was low, the lighting was a little dim, and the concrete floors were uncomfortable. Kind of like the boutique hotels from the late 90's, especially with the low-lit hallway. However, everything looked clean and new and the shower amenities were a nice touch.

Overall, we thought our experience at Hotel en Ville was average. The location was not bad--it was an easy walk to the restaurants and sights at the center of Aix. For the right price, I might stay here again.

• Liked — Location and value pretty good for Aix
  • Disliked — Modern hotel but not necessarily in a good way
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 14 October 2006

I agree with the other reviews that the hotel is a bit quirky and the saloon-door toilet doesn't make anay sense. Overall, the hotel is a great value compared to many of the hotels inside the ring of town which charge 150 euros for a room which is slightly better.

It is an easier hotel to park than many of the hotels in the center. The location is great because you can walk a couple of blocks to the Hotel de Ville.

The owner was very nice and went above and beyond to make sure we were enjoying our stay.

I was in Aix for 2 nights. The first night I stayed at the Cezanne Hotel which was very average and cost 155 euros/night. The 2nd night was at Hotel En Ville for 109 euros and the bed was more comfortable & the bathroom was cleaner. I would definitely stayed both nights in Hotel En Ville if I knew ahead of time.

The only negative, which I experienced at both hotels, was the noise that you could here within the hotel.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
Paris
Reviewed 11 October 2006

Be aware that this is an ultra-modern minimalist hotel, so if you are used to creature comforts, this may not be the place for you. Our room was a studio with a stylish concrete floor, a step-up shower and saloon-style doors for the toilet. All very tastefully done, and very clean, but not done in a cosy style (see pictures). Given the toilet and shower configuration (very little privacy), it could be a bit embarassing if you're sharing a room with someone other than your partner!

The staff were incredibly friendly and willing to assist us with finding our way into the centre of town. They were also at hand for restaurant recommendations. The hotel is just outside the ring road (blvd Carnot) that runs arounds the old part of town. It is just over a 5 minute walk to blvd Carnot.

All up, a very good price for a well-run hotel (120 euros per night for a medium-size room, although I recall prices start at a mere 95 euros).

• Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
Skerries, Ireland
Reviewed 26 September 2006

We stayed in Hotel-en-Ville for a week and had a great time in Aix and the surrounding towns of Provence. The hotel was a good base, located at the northern edge of the old town, some 15 minute walk from the main bus and train stations.

The location itself is just a few minutes walk from all the hustle and bustle of the town, most of the lively places start around the square of the town hall and stretch further south to the Cours Mirabeau.

I've read that the hotel was soundproofed, and that certainly seems to be the case, when you're talking about street noise. The hotel noise however is a different matter. It's a small hotel in an old building, and you can hear everything, and I do mean everything that is happening inside the hotel.

We could hear the TV in the next room, even though it wasn't loud at all, doors opening and closing throughout the hotel, and other things that I wouldn't want to mention here in the review.

The noise was my biggest complaint, there is nothing relaxing about being woken up several times during the night. Having said that, the rest of our experience was more pleasant.

There was a good sized flat-screen TV in the room which was a nice change from the usual tiny black boxes you find in other places, but all of the TV stations were in French and I simply didn't have enough of the language to watch anything. There's plenty to see and do anyway, but having a decent TV would appeal to some.

The rooms were spacious and air conditioned, however the air conditioning unit is in need of service, it was creaking and moaning the whole time so we had to leave it off during the night. It wasn't a big problem in September, but I guess you couldn't really do that in July or August.

The shower was a good size, with plenty of hot water and good pressure. With all the walking and hiking that we did around Aix having a good shower was paramount! I was surprised at the lack of a shower curtain, and there was always a puddle of water in the bathroom which was annoying when you're walking around barefoot. When I mentioned this to the owner she said it wasn't a problem and not to worry about it. Indeed, every day they mopped the bathroom and left it clean and dry.

The decor is very minimalist to the point where it might even appear cheap, the shower curtain being one example. The hotel is very different from others we've stayed in and does take some getting used to. Initially it appears bare, with the subdued colors, lots of space and the bare minimum of decorations or furniture.

A bounty of fresh towels was supplied every day, and the soaps and shower gels supplied by the hotel were a real delight. They were the kind of thing I would love to be able to buy at home, and show that little touch of provence.

There is a bar adjacent to the hotel that serves breakfast which looked really nice but unfortunately I cannot comment on it as we always went into the old town for our coffees and breakfast. It seemed to be popular with the locals and had a very pleasant atmosphere, so I hope others will give it a try and write their impressions.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Hotel noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Book directly with the hotel, they were very pleasant to deal with and spoke english.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sarasota, FL
Reviewed 22 June 2006

June 10, 2006

We arrived in Aix on the opening day of the Cezanne Festival. The city was jammed with traffic, and we drove around endlessly looking for parking before finally securing a space in the Bellegarde parking garage. We were tired and afraid we would have to settle for a less-than-perfect place to lay our weary heads. My husband went on a pedestrian scouting expedition while my sister and I sipped coffee in a pleasant cafe. He returned with a smile on his face and asked us to follow him to the Hotel en Ville.

We were surprised to find a 10-room hotel owned and managed by a lovely young French woman named Kathy (not exactly pronounced the way I've spelled it.). Her hotel was decorated in a minimalist style, a style of hotel we had never before encountered. Everything was very novel but extremely comfortable. The bathroom was part of the room. Instead of the usual porcelain sink, there was a large porcelain vessel resting upon a granite slab. The shower was outfitted with sparkling chrome fixtures.that delivered a high pressure shower. We appreciated that after some of the other showers we'd had in France the week before. The daylight streaming through the room seemed to lift our spirits and ready us for a full day of sightseeing and eating. The next morning she served a lovely and generous breakfast in the adjoining cafe before we left to continue our exploration of the Aix.

When asked for a dinner recommendation, Kathy directed us toward Mitch, located in the old city where we were given friendly service and served the most innovative menu. Mitch was an attentive host and made us feel so welcome.

Thanks to Kathy and Mitch for a most enjoyable stay in Aix.