“liked it until i got food poisoning”
Review of La Chimere Cafe

La Chimere Cafe
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
La Chimere Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #78 of 884 Restaurants in Aix-en-Provence
Price range: US$15 - US$43
Cuisines: French, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Fine homemade seasonal dishes and tapas bar with a wide selection of cocktails and wines in a comfortable and baroque chic setting.
Reviewed 20 June 2010

we had eaten quite often at La Chimere Cafe but the last few times we found the quality had slipped. we gave it one more chance and i got food poisoning from the starter of salmon tartare. (scomboid poisoning). when my doctor told me to go back and speak to them a few days later, the manager was not interested at all. the poisoning comes from mishandling of the fish. La Chimere has lost a group of steady customers.

2  Thank aptinaix

Reviewed 8 December 2009

This is the only restaurant that I ate at twice while in Aix for 6 days. It is extremely popular with upscale locals, and i can see why. The second time we were there it was so crowded we ate at the bar. The bartender was delightful and even poured us a free after dinner drink. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 26 August 2009

We were there last year during September and was looking around for a place to have our wedding anniversary dinner. We saw this on tripadvisor and decided to give it a try. We came out stuffed and well satisfied. Would definitely go again next time we're in Aix!

Reviewed 4 February 2009

Was in town on business and was referred to La Chimere by a colleague. Got there at 7PM and were the first people to arrive. Sat in the middle section and was waited on by Isabelle who spoke broken English, but we got by well enough with my broken French. Food is typical bistro fare, with escargot Foie Gras, Sweatbreads, etc. for entree, duck, various fish, beef and fowl for plats. wine list is reasonable for France. Overall about 100E for two people including wine, aperetifs and coffee.. Food was great. If you are a dessert lover, get the Assiette Gourmand -small portions of 5 different desserts. yum.

1  Thank geeper
Reviewed 31 January 2009

My husband and I both very much enjoyed our meal at La Chimere Cafe. The waitstaff was very pleasant, professional, and helpful. The decor and ambience were just as I imagined a French bistro should be. We sat in the mid-level room with deep red walls and a red "crystal" chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Things were cozy and romantic.

I had a traditional daube which I thought was delicious. My husband ordered a fish, which he thought was excellent itself, but he didn't care much for the sauce which had too much of a "canned tomato" taste for him.

Overall, though, we very much enjoyed our dinner and plan to return again -- and bring any out-of-town guests there as well.