“just ok”
Review of Hotel des Arts

Hotel des Arts
Ranked #57 of 69 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed in their apartment, quite spacious. A king bed and a twin in one big room, a small but adequate bathroom, and a small barely equipped kitchen. Location was good, could walk anywhere in town and could park the car nearby. Price was right. Problems: kitchen plates/cups were put away DIRTY, just obviously uncleaned (the rest of the apt was clean, could be a problem left by the last guests, and not spotted by hotel staff). We were there in a cold January and the heat was insufficient. The lobby smelled really bad, could not spend any time there. Remember this is a one-star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tri450

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I'm aware that Aix en provence is quite an expensive City to stay in, as I've visited before, but I still wasn't massively impressed with Hotel des Arts for value or reliability, however one thing it does have going for it is that it's location is quite close to the centre ville.

pokey little cupboard room (double room)

staff were unhelpful to say the least

lied about having wifi on the website ( we needed it to plan our every move while traveling, needless to say it would have been a deal breaker when choosing a hotel)

lied about having TV on the website (I'm not really fussed, but why lie?)

overall state of the hotel wasn't bad, I just felt like a pauper is all.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank kaizensounds
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Heading for a trip down the Canal Du Midi after Spain and Morocco, and stopping at small towns along the way. The front door looks like a prison entrance, but the room was redone and quite good. Another clerk who couldn't get the internet to work for quite a while.
My advice is to just skip Aix and go to Arles. Not much to do in Aix, but Arles is near and very cool. Enough said?

Room Tip: From the train station you have to take a bus to the town. Then you have to pay $10 each way for a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2013

• Location is good if you have a car. We were able to get street parking (requires meter payment from 8:00 a.m.-noon and 2:00-7:00 p.m.) close to the hotel.

• It's close to the center of things but if you don't like to walk, choose someplace else, though you'll likely pay a good bit more.

• If you are claustrophobic or have vertigo, do not stay here. The rooms are incredibly cramped – not much bigger than the bed – and the stairwell is a tight spiral that goes up 5 flights (we were placed at the top).

• There is only a single attendant so don't expect assistance with your luggage.

• If you are squeamish about housekeeping, this is not your place. The bed was made, but a soaking wet bathmat was left in a pile in the shower.

• In our room, the wall hanger for the shower handle was busted so it was only handheld requiring one-handed bathing (thus the soaking wet bathmat).

• Self-serve laundry next door, which came in handy.

• Most disappointing, we were promised internet access but it only worked briefly the first day. From there on out, there was nothing.

• We did not do the breakfast and it looked really lame - certainly not worth the 7€ they charge.

• Lastly, you'll want to unplug the television to avoid being kept awake by a terribly designed blinking power light.

Unrelated to the hotel:
• The Tourist Bureau is a great first stop – they provide recommendations, maps and tickets to local events and activities.

• We recommend the morning wine tasting tour by Provence Wine Tours and really enjoyed our guide, Marie Noelle.

• The drive out along Route de Cezanne was delightful but not for the faint of heart (blind switchbacks and a two-way road approximately 1.5 car widths).

• A beautiful city but stay to the side streets to avoid inflated prices. The restaurants on the main drags were significantly more expensive.

• Also, if you can manage to plan your trip for market days (mornings only but terrific and well-priced produce, meat, cheese, olives, paella, etc.).

Room Tip: Request a lower floor unless you're fit and unfazed by heights and narrow stairways.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lydia M
Reviewed 27 June 2013

When I was here I was on a solo, two week backpacking trip through France last summer, so keep that in mind. Other than when I was here, I was in traditional hostels. I booked this as my "break" from shared rooms and no AC. Honestly, I don't understand all the complaints on here. Since it was inexpensive, I didn't really expect it to be a luxurious resort with huge rooms and all the fixings! I got exactly what I paid for: a room big enough for just me, with a clean bathroom, comfortable bed, and refreshing air conditioning (cold enough for American standards!). If you're a light traveling backpacker, there is a laundromat next door, and there is also a delicious bakery/sandwich shop right there too. WIFI works--you have to ask the front desk for an access code. Just a few streets away from the main boulevard with lots of dining and shopping options. The staff did not speak strong English, but that was right up my alley because I was trying to get away from "touristy" France so that I could better practice French. I was able to get that here. They also offered a simple, but tasty breakfast each morning for 7 euro and they would steam up a cafe au lait for me if I asked. I thought the desk staff was VERY friendly, all things considered.

My only complaints were being unable to take my room key with me from the hotel, and that because I'm tall, I hit my head repeatedly when going up the steps to my room. If you're over 5'10", remember to duck! My train out of Aix was at 6 AM, so I had to walk to the bus station around 5 AM, and it woke the hotel staff so I could check out. So just beware that their front desk is NOT a 24/7 operation.

I loved Aix-en-Provence and would go back in a heartbeat. It was by far the best city I stayed in as far as truly absorbing the language and culture WITHOUT people trying to answer me in English, dismissing me as another Ugly American! :)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Gina K
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I don't understand all these bad comments. The hotel is very good situated (you are in 5 minutes at La Rotonde) It was clean and sweet. The rooms are small, but the price is really good so i think you really get what you pay for :) The people were friendly and the TV and the conditioning was good. Thank you for having us there!

Room Tip: The rooms on the top were the best (quite)
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2013 via mobile

Situated a short walk from Cours Mirabeau, it was conveniently located with friendly staff that encourage you to reach into that little French person inside you.
Room and bathroom were tiny, rooms were accessible only by tall staircase. Comfortable regardless with aircon/heating unit.
Had a tv in the room. We didn't enquire about Internet, so not entirely sure if wireless is free or available.

• Stayed: December 2012