“Nice value in Apt”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Apt
Santa Barbara
“Nice value in Apt”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We needed a hotel for three people, and found this place online and booked it on the road (we travel with ipad+sim card). We were lucky because it was already late at night. It turned out to be a nice value. Spacious and free parking, clean quiet room with a french door opening to a small balcony. The bathroom is small, but the shower was hot and the beds were comfortable as well. Checkin was a breeze. After checking in, we drove down the road to downtown Apt, and there was still one cafe open for dinner. I wish I could remember the name of it and give a shout out to the owner, who was very fun, we had a great time. It's a small spanish restaurant, the only place taking customers after 21:00.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank dalailamaesque

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

When I asked the young lady at the reception for a coffee (at 09.20) I was greeted with a facial expression that I wouldn't give to my worst enemy. I was told the bar was closed until 11, but she begrudgingly said she would make the coffee. When she dragged herself from behind her desk towards the bar area (no more than 5 yards away) I smiled and said said she needn't bother.

I happily (despite the inconvenience to me this time, not the receptionist) took a coffee in nearby Apt, and aware of cultural differences was reassured to see many people (including locals) drinking coffee. So it would seem a morning coffee, before 11 AM isn't an unreasonable request?

After asking the receptionist's name she appeared to have lost the ability to talk and again, in a terribly rude manner, pointed to her name badge. I then began to politely and calmly explain my point of view. She interrupted me and claimed not to have looked at me like I was dirt. But, if she doesn't feel she acted inappropriately I suggest she needs further training in hospitality.

When I then tried to speak with the manager through an open door (he couldn't even be bothered to get out of his chair [let alone his office] to come and speak with me) the receptionist got up and stood between us, interrupted me (well simply spoke over me) and began talking to the 'manager.'

I don't feel but this is acceptable in the modern hospitality industry. I am actually a very laid back individual and as a scientist I have lived an incredibly modest life in jungles for the last 20 years. i.e. I have pretty low expectations when it comes to hotels! But, I do expect to be treated with respect at all times, as I don't like paying for the privilege of being treated rudely! If the receptionist was busy I would have happily waited 10-15 minutes for my coffee, again, I am a very reasonable kind of guy. But to be made to feel like I am an inconvenience is unfair, especially when I am a paying guest / another human being!

I wrote an email to the 'manager' as this seemed an easier approach. I also requested my final night's payment returned so that I could take my business elsewhere. I received no reply...

The hotel itself is OK, but VERY basic. The rooms have a TV but unless you speak French don't bother turning it on. There is wifi, well, in about a 5m radius in the reception area! It would seem they have no interest in welcoming international guests at all. So unless you literally need a bed for the night (the meal prices are high and you are much better off going into town for better value / quality) look elsewhere. The area is full of other options, and I suggest you take them!!

Shame, kind of spoiled an otherwise nice stay in the area.

Disclaimer: I am not a serial complainer, and this is my one and only review. But I wish I knew of the service and facilities here before coming, because if I did I wouldn't have wasted my money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Apaporis
cbarre, Responsable relations publiques at Castel Luberon, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Sir,

First of all, we deeply regret that you are not satisfied with your stay in our hotel.
However, we would like to clarify some details of your experience so that every one can make its own point of view.

You have indeed ordered a coffee at 9.20 am at our reception desk. As it is mentionned in the hotel, the bar opens at 11.00 am. Our receptionnist agreed, in order to make you comfortable, to open the bar only for you and to serve you a coffee as soon as she would have finished the work she had started at this time. She was never insulting or irrespectful to you. Nevertheless, we admit that because our staff is not english speaking native, there could have been some misunderstanding.

Regarding your conversation with our managing director, you have indeed emailed him stating your dissatisfaction around 10.00 am although you were still staying in the hotel (you might have probably sent it thanks to the free wireless internet access offered in the hotel). You did not get any written answer from him simply because you met him around 12.00 in the lobby. Then, we do think that your refund request of the last night is a bit disproportionate. Our managing diretor offered you the breakfast the next morning to compensate your unhapiness.You could agree this commercial gesture was appreciable for only a "coffee matter". You have accepted this offer and you have indeed taken this breakfast the next morning in our restaurant.

We are deeply sorry that such an anecdotal story could drive you to write 33 lines on this matter and that you gave such a bad rate ... for a coffee.

To future clients : our job is to welcome you and our reception staff is more than qualified to do so.

Best regards,
Christophe Barré, Communication and marketing officer

Travellers are raving about these Apt hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

We were unable to sleep as it had a party all night long. The room we stayed was smell.

The customer service was not the best. We had a very embarrassing experience and were not being able to enjoy our breakfast at all. We felt uncomfortable. We were pleased to have a cup of tea but the water was not hot enough.

I do not think we will go back to this hotel again although we had a good time for tennis.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank C L
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

Really a good surprise. We have found an excellent offer on intrernet but it exceeded our expectations. Room big and clean with terrace on front of the pool. Calm, 5 min from Colorado Provencal, an Italian girl at the reception was very kind giving us suggestions. Restaurant inside, big buffet of entrees (international and local) plus meat served and wine/water included with really good quality. Beautiful location, honest prices.

• Stayed June 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

The hotel isn't in the center of Apt - 2 KM from it, but of course, if you have car, it's not relevant.
the rooms are really clean and cozy.
I surely recommend this place.......................................................................................

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Palm Harbor, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

stayed for 5 nights early June, great location for touring the villages of Luberon. Hotel hosts a lot of bus parties that arrive late afternoon and leave early morning. Breakfast is usually busy but normal guests have their own private area that is separate from the coach parties. Room was basic but clean and cleaned during the day while we were out. Spent one late afternoon at the large pool, there is also a kid's pool, sunbeds were a tad uncomfortable and you get the towels from reception. Reception staff were very helpful and eager to assist when needed as were the breakfast dining girls. Overall a basic establishment but the cleanliness puts a plus on basic.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John R
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

Very good price and location for exploring the Luberon. After exploring all day, the huge pool and patio area was a great way to relax at sunset. Very reasonably priced, family style hotel. Nothing fancy, but great value and easy parking.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple