“Plenty of character”

Ranked #27 of 56 Hotels in Arles
sussex
“Plenty of character”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and would be happy to recommend it. It is certainly full of character with very unusual rooms. In the foyer there is a glass floor where you can look down to the remains of the roman Place of Constantine. Our room was spacious with very high ceilings, a four poster bed and terrace overlooking one of the courtyards. The shutters allowed the room to stay cool and a fan was provided. The staff were friendly and helpful and parking was available - a must if you have a car. The location is perfect - very central for all the sights with lots of good restaurants nearby. Breakfast is available.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
New Jersey
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This is a lovely hotel with a great personality. The check in area is a bit sterile, but the rest of the hotel - the rooms, public areas, gardens, and halls are lovely. Our room had a high ceiling and a lovely canopy over the bed. It was an easy walk to all the sites in Arles. It was a bit tricky driving our rental car to the hotel since the location is more an alley than a street, but the staff gave us great directions. We parked in the adjoining garage for a few extra euros - well worth it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee
Reviewed 23 July 2011

This charming hotel is tucked deep in the heart of Arles' city center. It was a little bit of a challenge to find and navigate the medieval streets in our minivan, but we did it! We loved the old charm of the hotel, and found it to be very convenient for exploring the city. It was very easy to take a walking tour of We wish we could have stayed longer. The wonderful woman working the front desk was extremely helpful at giving us tips about where to stop for lunch as we travelled to the Camargue (Rhone delta) to dip our toes in the Mediterranean. We look forward to returning to Arles and would definitely stay here again!

1 Thank markandjulie
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 22 January 2011

I thought the hotel was conveniently located. Some reviewers complained about the location, but Arles is a compact town. Once you get there, you can see Arles on foot. If you use this hotel as a base to other destinations in Provence, there are numerous signs directing you through the medieval labyrinth of streets. I was happy to have any parking so didn't really notice how compact it was!! Arles is a very interesting city. The ancient arena is amazing and there are other ancient Roman sites within an hour's drive - Nimes/Pont du Gard. (Maybe they were farther than an hour, but very doable as a day trip from Arles.)

As for the hotel, the common areas were very nice and I loved the sitting area around the pool with the turtle pool, although I kept looking for live turtles!! They are stone. I think the turtle pool could have been a little cleaner as the turtles were covered with algae. And I guess I would say that the whole place could have been a little cleaner for the price. It certainly wasn't disgusting, but a little shabby chic, particularly the sleeping areas. The furniture may have been antique, but the coverings, including the bedspread were just plain old. The staff was friendly enough, not over the top though. (We did have high standards by then because we had stayed at an incredibly friendly hotel in Paris!)

The breakfast was pricey, but I did enjoy it and it statisfied me for the day. Grabbed a couple pieces of fruit and we were set until dinner. If you want something lighter...and cheaper, there are some cafes nearby.

I don't have anything to compare it to in Arles. I would probably check out other places on a future trip, but based on what I saw of the hotels in Arles, you can't beat the location and the property is charming in a lot of ways. I would still recommend it to others and would return myself.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 November 2010

Charming hotel in the heart of the old town of Arles, in Provence, France. Every view of the building looks like a postcard. With its old style rooms (with en-suites, of course), you feel like you have been transported to the 18th or 19th century and will meet Vincent van Gogh coming round the next corner. Car access is tricky but they do the parking. Breakfasts are generous.

The hotel is above a Roman basilica foundation and next to the remains of the Roman baths. The River Rhone is about 3-4 minutes away as is the ancient Roman amphitheatre. Arles is a beautiful town to stay in.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2010

This hotel has a great location, however I don't think that really justified the price, given the rooms. The rooms were quite large, but sparse. There was no shower in the room. We had a room overlooking the pool, which was a nice outlook. Also, the hotel's public areas are quite charming. We had breakfast in the room and this was not worth the money at all. The croissants were more like standard bread. I've never had such an experience in France before. We had some friends who ate at the buffet, which sounds like the better deal. We asked for a dinner recommendation which was OK, but not great, except the desserts. WiFi was available, but not easy to obtain a signal throughout the hotel. They should provide additional signal boosters at other areas of the hotel. Parking is available within the hotel, but it is difficult to get into the historic centre of the town, so it is best to ask for assistance beforehand.

Seattle
Reviewed 15 October 2010

The location for this hotel is super. It is central to everything in Arles and for the value is good. Our group stayed there for 6 nights and while I slept very well, I did have a few issues. First, my room was askew. Literally. The table was lopsided and the bathroom had part of a roman wall along it. I had a very difficult time with the bath, since the wall was in the way and the detatched shower head only went as high as the hip.

The breakfast was quite good, although they didn't like outside food being brought into the courtyard, which was strange. The service of the people was very good. They had wireless, and it was free (YAY), but it was spotty. If I stood in one spot in the room, I could get it.

One area I would be aware of is the parking. It costs about 14 euros per day to park the car. Be prepared for that.

Overall, a pleasant experience, since I was in a group. If I was a solo traveler, I probably would not have enjoyed it as much, but it is good value, with a great location.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business