“Stay in a part of history”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel d'Arlatan

Hotel d'Arlatan
Ranked #24 of 56 Hotels in Arles
Richmond, United Kingdom
“Stay in a part of history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Arles is over 2000 years old. First Celtic, then greek, and claimed for Rome in Julius Cesar's first Gaul campaign. If you like history, you'll like D'Arlatan as it is a rennaissance duke's house built on ruins of medieval houses, built on top of an old Roman area (visible through the floor of the lounge), 100 meters from the old Roman forum and Van Gogh's Café la Nuit.

Hotel d'Arlatan is wonderful if you like history. It is quirky. Each room is different (ours had a remarkable XVII century wooden ceiling) and special and the general decor is fantastic. However, don't expect miracles of modern technology. The TVs, air conditioning (supplemented by old fashioned fans) electricity and telephones, are pre-historic, but that is not why you come here. Have breakfast in the inside court as the Count of D'Arlatan would have done in the 1600s and you'll understand what this place is about.
We stayed here 10 years ago and after all this time, it is just as magical.

Room Tip: Excellent garage service in the town centre!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012 via mobile

We booked 2 rooms. Then called to MAKE SURE there would be air conditioner. It is July. They LIED on the phone and said there is. Sure, there is...(later we found out it has been out of order for over a month). But the outrageouse part that makes me say DON'T GO THERE! Is that when we complained we got aggression and rudeness from the reception staff. "I will not talk to you about this" and (on request to speak to the manager) "I don't know where he is and don't care and won't give you his number and no, you can not speak to him". Three nights of torturous heat, and toilet smell... Nice building. Ok breakfast. Good location. Horrible people and hotel standard. 1 star... With 4 star prices...

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Euggor
Larressingle, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

chose this hotel for its private garage in town centre. booked a double room months before and paid for it through a booking agent. on arrival was given a tiny room actually more like a singe with a 4ft. bed of great age - I mean the mattress not an antique! air conditioning doesn't work. mini bar with minimal drinks in didn't work so warm drinks - bathroom was two cupboard doors set in wall providing the smallest bath I have ever seen I am tall and would not have been able to sit in the bath let alone lie in it. you had to edge past the old basin to get to it. tiles on floor seriously broken. receptionist indifferent stopped talking to me at check in to chat to another client. leaving me to wait to find out where my room was no help offered with luggage. next morning the owner was present who was charming. she actually gave me a 3 euro refund on my payment as she had given me a smaller room than I had booked - WHY. I suspect as I had only booked one night she gave my better room to a client who stayed longer. not acceptable service when one takes the trouble to book well in advance. we do not all have long holidays - some people are travelling and need a place for the night. looked at the breakfast on offer and was not impressed at what was being offered at an extra 15 euros a head. if you want continental breakfast the information in the room tells you it will be brought to you in your room you cannot have it on the terrace, in my room it would have been impossible to eat breakfast as the room was so small.
What a shame, this is a lovely building which could be great I like slightly old fashioned pieces but don't expect to be downgraded after I have paid. Matters not improved by the opinionated young man who was assigned to open the garage for us to get out. He insisted on driving my large car out and we had an argument - he then took it upon himself to pull out my wing mirrors so he could see - they are electric at this point he consented to let me get my car myself. my advice insist on a detailed description of your room and number when you book and make them stick to it and don't eat breakfast there.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank miggy123
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

Due to the old streets of Arles being built by the Romans the streets were defiently not built for cars. We couldn't get our car to the hotel garage so we had to get out near a cafe outside the skinny streets and walk with our luggage to our hotel. Thankfully, the staff from the hotel were extremelly helpful and sent a man to drive our car through the skinny streets of Arles into the hotel garage.
Throughout our stay the staff contuined to be very helpful and we were a couple minutes away from a sunny square in the town with many cafe's and shops.
The pool was also very refreashing and fun.
Great stay and would stay there again if we return the faboulous city of Arles.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank HFC25
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Basically a museum in and of itself ... built on top of old roman baths and right in the heart of the city. Staff was not very helpful all, but despite that, it was worth it: great public spaces with a piano that was playable, open air courtyards to have some coffee and read the paper, nice little pool to cool off and relax. Our room was like no other in France that we stayed in and was suite with a canopy bed and two rollouts, with a great view of the city.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

This hotel is nestled in the old part of Arles. It is within easy walking distance to all the historic sites and the cafes and restaurants on the Place du Forum. Difficult access through the narrow streets by car but once you have arrived, best to leave it in the hotel garage. Our room was spacious with a view of the Rhone, a very comfortable, clean hotel with friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank traveller1811027
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Extremely cosy hotel in a city with small narow streets around it. Very very old building but new inside - except from the fantastic walls and the cellar which can be seen through the floor in glas. Good location next to the city centre where you find all the restaurants outdoor on the square. Nice people and very clean hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family