“Great location, helpful staff”

Hotel Spa Le Calendal
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Arles
San Jose, CA
“Great location, helpful staff”
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The Hotel Le Calendal was part of our Provence tour and an excellent choice! Situated right in the heart of Arles, a magnificent city with Roman monuments dating back to the 1st century BC. This ancient city is also where Van Gogh produced many of his paintings. We were assigned a large room, #41 'tilleul', right off the garden patio. The staff were friendly, always with a smile. The restaurant fare was well presented and delicious.

But, what made this hotel so welcoming to me was the help I received from the owners. I became ill the week before arriving in Arles, and realized that I needed to see a doctor. Frederic called his wife to assist us in seeking medical help. Since it was a weekend, and a Sunday to boot, Cicily took us to a private clinic and guided us throughout the visit. She sought out the doctor on duty, took us down the hall, up the stairs, over to x-ray, translating and explaining everything. After consultation, and with prescription in hand, Cicily took us to a pharmacy that was open - hard to come by as we had tried earlier in the day. She was truly an angel whose willing efforts were much appreciated by my husband and me.

As mentioned, the hotel is well situated amidst Roman monuments and perfect for a week's stay (or longer) to use as a pivot point while visiting the sights of the south of France. It is an extremely comfortable hotel, a nice resting place after a day of sightseeing. Easy access to ruins, museums, shopping and restaurants. They have a spa if you are so inclined to take a day of rest.

Next time in Provence, we will definitely stay again at the Hotel Le Calendal.

Room Tip: Rooms off the patio, especially #41 'tilleul'.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lexington, KY
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed one night in this hotel while transiting across southern France. My biggest regret is that we couldn't have stayed longer. While the time was certainly enough to see the attractions of Arles, we could have visited multiple other towns in the area. I enjoyed this hotel more than any other on my month-long trip.
We had a little difficulty finding the hotel, so my husband parked and I found it on foot. The receptionists gave me a map which we used to navigate to the parking garage without problem. The parking is a bit of distance from the hotel, so it would have been better to unload our bags there in retrospect. Our room was spacious with a separate sitting area and was decorated in very appropriate Provencal fabric. The air conditioning worked great, but the water pressure in the shower was a little disappointing. We had a small terrace outside our room, but no view from it. The only thing that would have improved this would be some sort of covering on the French doors that led to it. Not really needed for privacy, but we could have slept a bit later if the light coming in hadn't been so bright.

Room Tip: I would avoid the rooms where the terrace gives directly onto the restaurant area. Clearly they had...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Wailuku, Hawaii
Reviewed 13 June 2012

After a professional, cheerful check-in, the receptionist hopped in the car with me to direct me to the parking garage and provide me with the in-and-out card for the duration of our visit. That kind of courteous, warm service continuted....from the sweet girl at the cafe bar who cheerfully served my kids to the excellent maid service to the night receptionist welcoming us in after late dinners and walks through the neighborhood around the amphitheater.

Lots of great restaurants only steps away (Le Grillon has a yummy and cheap "menu" and the best view ever!).

Our family room was large, spotless--the bathroom modern, but still in keeping with the quaint decor. Beds were sooo dreamy (luxurious, crisp linens and duvets, plushly firm mattresses) they put us behind schedule--we just wanted to snuggle in forever, but we had sights to see! If you visit Arles, be sure to make the short trek out to gorgeous Les Baux de Pce.

We had no trouble finding the hotel--it's not far off the main drag...just make sure you make the hard, hard, left behind the park. We drove out on market day and had to navigate through the narrow streets of the old city, but it was fun. Arles is definitely a working-class town, but it's the real-ness that makes it so charming and friendly. Fantastic hotel, wonderful town.

Room Tip: Family room is a great deal!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Marnie33
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 9 June 2012

To me it is incredible that this hotel has more than 200 'excellent' reviews. It is totally impersonal, the rooms smell of damp, the bathrooms are tired, there are people coming and going the whole time. It is exactly as another reviewer wrote - a glorified backpacker hotel.

The old town of Arles is very small, there are so many other hotels and all are within a few minutes' walk of everything, so stay somewhere else if you can. We moved to the Hotel Particulier which was excellent (but significantly more expensive).

PS the "swimming pool" is no such thing - it's a jacuzzi in the spa and only available to over-18s. Shame the description isn't more honest!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank alanramsey
LE CALENDAL H, General Manager at Hotel Spa Le Calendal, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear Sir ,

You obviously did not enjoy your evening with us !
We were therefore not attentive to your first reaction upon check in. We should have understood your disappointment and tried to either find another room that could have been more enjoyable for you or of course another hotel .

The SPA yes is only for adults and specified on our web site and on all our written reservation confirmations .
If you did not have this information , then perhaps YOUR travel agent forgot to mention it . We have never given the information that we have an inside pool , it is clear that we have a SPA with large jaccuzzi , shower and hammam. In no case we communicate 'indoor pool".

Finally, yes our hotel is in the heart of the city , with a lunch restaurant and counter that is open to public (other then hotel guests) . Our neighbours are the Roman Amphitheater, the Antique theater and a private catholic school .... tourists , children , Arlesiens do come in our hotel spa restaurant to enjoy lunch in the garden , ice creams , cookies, ... beers after a cycling tour ..etc etc .

The hotel Particulier that you have decided to go to is an excellent reference, but in no case comparable to us .
Our double rooms are at 119 euros (3 stars) where as they charge 290 euros first price for a double (5 stars) . It seems that the biggest difference is maybe that we are more in popularity than in luxury.
It just proove that in any circumstance we can never please at 100 % percent and that our "style" .. cool chic central ...was not what you were looking for or expected .

THE MANAGEMENT
Southern California
Reviewed 1 June 2012

What a lovely place, The grounds are beautiful, and the hotel itself is charming. We will definitely come back the next time we're in the area, This is an ideal place to use as a base to see the villages in the surrounding areas of Provence. Les Baux was a short five or six miles away, and Arles, the Pont de Gard, Avignon and other wonderful spots were in close proximity.

1 Thank dandmkirk
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Here's what I wrote in my journal: "The friendly receptionist greets me, checks me in, and shows me the pastry-coffee-wine bar/cafe, the breakfast room, and the free computers, then takes my luggage through the garden and upstairs to a perfect little room overlooking the garden: double bed with blue headboard and white linens; blue & yellow walls, curtains, and cupboards. The bathroom (with both tub and shower) is tiled blue and white; everything is crisp and clean. Bright prints decorate the walls, and--with a small desk and comfortable chair--I'm at home! AND the room is quiet. I unpack, then go back to the lobby to send a message to [my husband] and order a chevre tart and a glass of wine."

The hotel is ideally located (next to the amphitheatre)--a 5- to 10-minute walk to most other places of interest and a 1- to 2-minute walk to shopping and nice little restaurants (Le Criquet, which serves traditional food, is excellent!). As a solo traveler, I felt entirely comfortable. Guests came from various parts of Europe and the U.S., and the little cafe was frequented by locals. At my request, the staff arranged for a 2 1/2 hour walking tour with a private guide, and the evening before I left, I enjoyed an amazing hot stone massage, given by a talented masage therapist in the hotel's spa. I'd booked online and was surprised at the reasonable room rates. I can't imagine staying anywhere else when I return to Arles; next time, I hope to stay for more than 4 days.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DKL983
Medford, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Our stay at Hotel Le Calendal was absolutely delightful! It is truly a quiet oasis yet close to everything. And the staff could not be more helpful. Our room was fantastic and the breakfast wonderful. The restaurant recommendations were spot on and the staff gladly made reservations for us. This was our second trip to Arles and on our next visit - for we will be back - we will certainly stay at Le Calendal!