“Back in the Middle Ages”
Review of Le Marche d'Arles

Le Marche d'Arles
Ranked #19 of 74 things to do in Arles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 9 May 2013

The greatest open market in Europe, runs the entire length of the city. Amazing international mix of all races.

1  Thank Nissim159
There are newer reviews for Le Marche d'Arles

Reviewed 25 February 2013

We have been to this market last year in july and I am looking forward to going back soon. It was a wonderful experience. Such bold colours and exotic smells... a joy! The spices counters are truly amazing. So many beautiful things you don't know were to look first. The fish stalls, the cheese stalls, bakeries and so on.

Parking is not a problem as there are so many streets around where you can park for free.

1  Thank ana t
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I can only say I think we missed out on a great market. We left Arles on a Saturday when the market was setting up to pick up a rental car in Avignon for our second week in Provence. We should have stayed for this market based on what I saw from the Navette. We opted to pick up the car and then go to the Camargue in the afternoon.

We subsequently went to the markets in Gordes and Lourmarin during the following week. The Lourmarin market was excellent but this market is larger in scope.

We learned from regular visitors to Provence that they plan their trips around market days, particularly if they have access to a kitchen of any size.

Something for you to think about - I did not see a guidebook that suggested this approach to touring particularly .The experience of buying from the vendors and the back-and-forth exchange of the sampling and purchasing, even with limited French, may turn out to be a great memory. Do not try to hurry the experience, spend three to four hours at the market.We bought most of our souvenirs and gifts at markets.

2  Thank WC-Travelers-75
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We were told this has claim to be the largest street market in France. Has a huge variety of foodstalls with great local produce, hosiery, flowers and much more. Bought some Macaroons but we should have also had lunch here as shortly after everything was closed – packed up at noon sharpish! We returned not long after and the streets were completely clean – as if it was never there.

1  Thank Berliner_Frankie
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We lucked out and were in town for Arles' weekly outdoor market. It is one of my favourite things to do as it's the best way to engage with the locals and discover what the place has to offer.

Arles's outdoor market is one of the biggest I've seen with vendors selling delcious food (mediterranean, greek, spanish, etc), cheese and meats, ceramics, fabric, spices, cookies and sweets, etc. Some vendors give out samples. Make sure you come on an empty stomach as there's lots you will love to try. Many of the vendors don't speak english but if you have basic french or have a dictionary, you should be fine. As for me, I tried to control my shopping as we were backpacking. I bought a ceramic saucer with tiny sharp wedges at the centre (for lemons or garlic grating?), lots of spices like safron, salt, pepper and paprika), lavender sachets and ate a wide variety of food! We spent half of our day in the market and had a great experience.

8  Thank travelcatVancouver