“Only good things to say!”
Review of Hotel du Forum

Hotel du Forum
Ranked #9 of 56 Hotels in Arles
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My husband and I (in our mid-60's) stayed in this hotel for 6 nights in late September and we loved it. Our room was large and immaculate, we could not hear any other guests (we faced the pool) and our 2 double beds were extremely comfortable (and convenient because I had a bad cold). The owners and staff were very helpful with recommendations for restaurants, attractions to visit, and hand-drawn maps to guide us in and out of Arles in our rental car. We saw NO SIGNS of any insects as stated in someone else's review (and I'm a stickler for such things and would have noticed and been grossed out!). After checking out, we started to drive our usual route out of Arles but were impeded by roadwork. As we were trying to decide where to go, a horn honked behind us and it was the hotel owner, who had jumped into her car to follow and then guide us when she realized we would be stuck. This extra level of service made the Hotel du Forum one of the best places we have ever stayed at in Europe. Book directly with the hotel to get free breakfast in the nice dining room; our waitress learned what we liked and we didn't even have to order after a few mornings. This was a great home away from home.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LGC125

Reviewed 9 November 2013

This was the first time I stayed this hotel - in the past I have passed by in front of hotel and thought it was touristy non-character hotel - how wrong I was! When we arrived the receptionist spoke real good English and told us where to eat and avoid - very caring. It was not only her, all the staff very friendly(unusual in France, huh?) and helpful. The bartender is an American guy who loves to chat in a nice way. The hotel itself had lots of character - many antiques furniture and the room is not the most modern condition(well if it was top notch condition probably I could not afford the rate) but nothing lacking and everything worked fine and I can see the effort to make the room nicer.
Breakfast is good you may feel 10 euro is expensive but we had petite dejeuner in the square and paid 6.50 for much much less choice. After booked the hotel with Booking.com, I have realised that if I booked with hotel's website, we could have got our breakfast free!
There is a lovely swimming pool as well, not too big but lovely and you can order drink from bar apparently. It was bit cold for us to dip in in the middle of September, which was pity.
Overall, I really liked the hotel - the next time I will be booking this hotel again.

1  Thank kikahopper
Reviewed 8 November 2013

In the centre of Arles, opposite the famous Van Gogh cafe. Perfect location. Made for those, who like history and historical values. You can find art in every corner of this hotel. Staff is superb, very helpfull and interested to help guests. Nice breakfast, which you can have next to the swimming pool. Rooms are clean and spacious. I will surely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My wife and I had 5 nights here in September and enjoyed every moment.It's not the hotel's fault but the centre of Arles is difficult to access due to the narrow streets and the electronically controlled bollards which block off some roads. We did have to phone the hotel for assistance and were "talked in" right to the door.Once in however there is a sense of tranquility from the entire staff of the hotel which quickly relaxes one. They are all wonderfully helpful. Our car was whisked off to be parked in the hotel garage as we did not need it for the entire time we were there, Arles is so easy to walk round and the railway station is only 20 minutes walk away.
The room was very large and airy with a modern en suite bathroom, we overlooked the pool area so it was always quiet, though I would imagine rooms which faced the square would also have been quiet as the evenings were never noisy. The furniture in the room was a tad old-fashioned and quirky but that just added to the pleasure of the stay as we had been staying in modern, bland hotels for the previous week and were pleased to have something with character. The bed was one of the most comfortable we have had anywhere.
Breakfast in the lovely breakfast room was plentiful with both hot and cold food available, a second pot of coffee was produced, with a cheerful smile, without having to ask twice. There is no restaurant facility in the hotel but the town has lots of choice and the square outside has several nice places to eat. We asked at reception for a restaurant recommendation and as a result had a most lovely Moroccan meal one evening.
We'd been planning our visit to Arles for five years and almost given up hope of making it, I'm so glad we did and so glad we stayed in this hotel, it's the heart of this town in more ways than one!

Room Tip: When we originally contacted the hotel we were planning to be there in July and were advised then th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Location is great although it is very difficult to drive the car to the hotel. Service is quite good and I made the reservation through email, not agent. Room is nice and it is full of history for the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin G
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Certainly very convenient, within walking distance of everything. Family owned, and everyone was very nice and very helpful. However, the rooms appear to have been last painted many many years ago, and the mattress should have been replaced long ago. On the other hand, the rates were very reasonable, and everything was clean. Outside our window was a beautiful garden. They park your car in a garage for 10 Euros/night so you don't have to fight through the extremely narrow streets around the hotel (although just finding the hotel in a car was a challenge).
Adequate breakfast buffet.

1  Thank metaligenics
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Just spent three nights here as part of a group tour. Some positives, some negatives. First, the price. If I was reading the sign right, the price of the room was only 60 euros -- I can't say for sure since the room price was included in my tour. Other positives: largish room, clean-looking. shower worked well, internet connection strong. Breakfast good, but don't ask for more than one croissant, as you will be denied (and maybe reprimanded). Negatives: a VERY large roach was sitting on my bathroom floor one evening; other folks on my tour found some bugs in their bed... just sayin'. But the biggest disappointment to me was the odd punitive, unwelcome manner of the manager and, in turn, some of her staff. The bit about asking for another croissant. My friend and I asking for early morning coffee (8:00! Not really early!) and being sternly told it was not possible until the appointed time our group was to eat. (When we offered to pay, it was a different story.) And when the coffee was brought to us one morning by a sympathetic waitress, another waitress came to the table and literally snatched it away. I would never return there, should I find myself in Arles again. Don't like to support such places. But if you are really tight on money and the bugs issue doesn't concern you, you might consider it if the price is cheap. And as others have said, the location on the square is very nice. (As for a room overlooking the square, do consider the fact that on nights when there is singing at the cafe, you are going to be up quite late!)

Room Tip: Don't get a room overlooking the square if you can't sleep in noisy places.