“Overrated”

Hotel Porte de Camargue
Ranked #21 of 56 Hotels in Arles
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We slept one night at the hotel Porte de Camargue. The room was just OK and I don't really understand the great TA reviews. During our stay there was no wifi in the rooms. The new owner (since August) explained that he switched provider and that this should be fixed soon. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the centre and it is fairly easy to find free parking around. On the positive side prices were good.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 October 2012

The hotel is well situated on the other side of the river but an easy walk to all the sites. It is in a quiet area. Friendly reception and helpful. rooms are a nice size and clean and comfortable. breakfast was excellent. We really felt we got good value.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

Welcoming staff. We were given room immediately even though we arrived at 10.30am.
Delightful reception area with computer.
Situation. A short walk over the bridge to the historic centre of Arles. Lovely quiet spot by river. Roof terrace. Staff very willing and booked taxi for us. Breakfast with fresh fruit. On bus route to Camargue

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I chose this hotel because of the reviews I'd read on tripadvisor while planning our trip to France..
and this is the first time I've been so disappointed..
I'm good with simple, clean and "great value" for the price, but, I was a bit shocked by the state of our room. The carpet (which looked like carpet underlay) was worn right through to the floor. When I was taking the bed cover off I noticed large dark stains on the white underside, the mattresses crunched when you lay on them as if covered in plastic, the sheets were clean and pressed but so thin in spots that there were holes in them...the shower curtain needed to be washed badly, the bottom edge was stained and it had what appeared to be blood stains or black mold? These were the things I could see...which started to creep me out about the things I could not see!!
Our hosts were very agreeable, the breakfast was good, the location of the hotel was across a bridge from the old town, which was a nice walk.
Would I recommend this hotel to family and friends? NO, I'm sorry, I would be embarrassed to send them there.

Room Tip: I can not recommend any room
2  Thank CarmenVancouver_B_C_
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We felt so welcomed at this small hotel. You can tell the owners took a lot of time and care in everything they do: from the items they offer for breakfast (love the cantal cheese) to the decorations in the room. We were able to find parking spots for our rental car when we needed to around the block but sometimes we felt like we got the last spot.

A very comfortable hotel (and a bargain at that) and one we will come back to on our next stay in Arles. (Room 21, twin room, 65E).

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Chose this hotel for a one night stay when travelling with my wife in our interrail-honeymoon trip. I picked it up because of the price and the reviews on TA.
The location is a bit outside the centre, but if you don't mind to walk is about 20 minutes from the railway station. It's ran by a couple, which for me is a plus ( I like family business before big international chains ) and they are friendly even when a bit limitated with their english. We tried the 7.5 € breakfast and it was worthy, big coffee, croissant and bread with butter, marmalade, cold cuts plus fruits, cereals, yogurts, etc.
The room was just ok. Big bed, kind of comfortable with a bathroom which will need a renovation soon ( a bit dirty shower plate. A noisy flushing system ) but it was properly isolated and clean. Slightly small for the European standard and the wifi didn't reach there.
Just a ok hotel, that for the price paid (60 €) did the job when not spending too much time in the room. I recommend it if you don't need big spaces.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

This hotel is just over the river from the old town, and makes a convenient base for exploring Arles on foot.

Our room was small, as was the bathroom, but comfortable for a short stay. Breakfast was a good buffet with nice coffee and plenty of fruit. The hotel has a pc for guest use, and free wi-fi, in the lobby area only.

There was street parking around the hotel, but it was a bit cramped, and we did not want to risk the hire car getting scratched, so  pre-booked the garage parking. The hotel took the keys and did the parking for us.

Adding together the hotel's basic rate plus breakfast and parking made it a bit expensive compared with our norm, but then we found France generally quite expensive this time, perhaps partly because our arrangements were all very last-minute! That being said, it was still a good B&B hotel in a great location.

Thank grey.dave