“Excellent location - great breakfast”

Hotel Porte de Camargue
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Arles
London, Canada
“Excellent location - great breakfast”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Great, clean hotel. I wouldn't recommend for long stays, but we were there for 3 nights, and it was comfortable and clean. Breakfast is a bit more than just a continental breakfast, thus ample enough to last you until lunchtime at least. Very well located, and walking distance (if you are comfortable walking) from the old town and attractions. Parking is limited and not available on the premises (and do take a GPS, else you will have trouble finding the hotel). However, there are lots of street parking around the hotel. We struggled with wi-fi, and had to sit in the lobby to get wi-fi, but that was okay - we didn't NEED to be connected.

I can recommend this place as it is well priced.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
ireland
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I stayed here for a week in september. the hotel is basic ,but thats what i expected so no big surprise there. the couple that run the hotel are very friendly and extremely helpful. I really liked the location although it may not be to everyones taste but i found it extremely handy for walking to the centre which took 5 minutes and for getting out of the city to the camargue or avignon etc it was perfect and easy to navigate.The area is residential and very quiet at night and it has a village feel about it,with a supermarket, a bar and a couple of restaurants nearby if you want to stay local.The locals i found to be very friendly and helpful . The hotel itself is a little dull and stuck in a timewarp is probably a fair description, but thats ok as i said earlier ,i wasn't expecting a lot. there is a large roof terrace but sadly no bar....I think this would make a big difference.we ate breakfast only once in the hotel and it was fine but the rest of the time we went to cafe d'autrefois in Arles which was a real find.Would i stay here again? probably not, but if you are on a budget it will be hard to find a better value place to stay than this in Arles.it is what it is so if you want a little bit of luxury its not the place for you.

London
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We slept one night at the hotel Porte de Camargue. The room was just OK and I don't really understand the great TA reviews. During our stay there was no wifi in the rooms. The new owner (since August) explained that he switched provider and that this should be fixed soon. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the centre and it is fairly easy to find free parking around. On the positive side prices were good.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The hotel is well situated on the other side of the river but an easy walk to all the sites. It is in a quiet area. Friendly reception and helpful. rooms are a nice size and clean and comfortable. breakfast was excellent. We really felt we got good value.

Hants
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Welcoming staff. We were given room immediately even though we arrived at 10.30am.
Delightful reception area with computer.
Situation. A short walk over the bridge to the historic centre of Arles. Lovely quiet spot by river. Roof terrace. Staff very willing and booked taxi for us. Breakfast with fresh fruit. On bus route to Camargue

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I chose this hotel because of the reviews I'd read on tripadvisor while planning our trip to France..
and this is the first time I've been so disappointed..
I'm good with simple, clean and "great value" for the price, but, I was a bit shocked by the state of our room. The carpet (which looked like carpet underlay) was worn right through to the floor. When I was taking the bed cover off I noticed large dark stains on the white underside, the mattresses crunched when you lay on them as if covered in plastic, the sheets were clean and pressed but so thin in spots that there were holes in them...the shower curtain needed to be washed badly, the bottom edge was stained and it had what appeared to be blood stains or black mold? These were the things I could see...which started to creep me out about the things I could not see!!
Our hosts were very agreeable, the breakfast was good, the location of the hotel was across a bridge from the old town, which was a nice walk.
Would I recommend this hotel to family and friends? NO, I'm sorry, I would be embarrassed to send them there.

Room Tip: I can not recommend any room
2 Thank CarmenVancouver_B_C_
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We felt so welcomed at this small hotel. You can tell the owners took a lot of time and care in everything they do: from the items they offer for breakfast (love the cantal cheese) to the decorations in the room. We were able to find parking spots for our rental car when we needed to around the block but sometimes we felt like we got the last spot.

A very comfortable hotel (and a bargain at that) and one we will come back to on our next stay in Arles. (Room 21, twin room, 65E).