“Special thanks to Jennifer, the staff of Balladins Arles”

Hotel balladins Arles
Ranked #54 of 56 Hotels in Arles
Hong Kong, China
“Special thanks to Jennifer, the staff of Balladins Arles”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Re: Gratitude to Jennifer of Balladins Arles

We would like to express our gratitude to Jennifer's help during our stay in Arles in end July. Our luggages were stolen in the public car park in Arles and we encountered difficulties in reporting the story to police as they did not speak much English. Thanks for the great help of Jennifer in translating a letter in French so that we can report the case to the police smooothly. Moreover, during our stay in Balladins, she is very professional and helpful.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Very nice Trip to Arles and for the two Nights - It was a short Stay there - we did felt good in this Balladins Hotel in Arles. Although we have been there only 2 nights, we say, that it was all very friendly and totally clean there. During our Stay, we went two times there for Breakfast, wich was nice decorated and all fresh. Good Coffee there! Very Quiet Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

So after a bullet train ride from Paris to Arles, and picking up a rental car at the Arles train station (both went smoothly). I drove out to the Balladins Hotel of Arles, France. This was my base for 5 nights for exploring the Provence.
One could actually walk from the train station to here, I think about 1.5 miles. Though dragging luggage along would be a pain, but there’s pavement the entire route. This hotel was a Hotwire mystery bid, but I had little time to plan, and this was the best bet if I wanted to stay in Arles. The actual location isn’t convenient to anything by foot, but by car your close to attractions, supplies, and the Roman City Center of Arles.
I think Balladins is a hotel chain in Europe. I would compare the actual one I stayed at as Super 8 (or a cross of Comfort Inn/Motel 6) as in the U.S. I was a little wary as I had read reviews about loud AC and noisy roads. Neither was ever a factor to me, and my room faced Stalingrad Ave, just down from the round-about.
The stand-outs:
Excellent location to attractions in the Provence.
Helpful staff – e.g. navigation advice, let me borrow some flatware
WiFi always works – though required sign daily
AC worked and was not noisy.
Comfortable bed. Maybe it’s some kind of European thing (or at least French), but instead of an actual queen/full size bed it was two singles rammed together. Experienced the same thing at a Paris hotel too.
The so-so:
One night my badge would not open the door to the hotel. Had to bang on the door and a staff member just looked at me until I put my key, with the code, on the glass door for her to see. Then I punched in the code and the door was still locked. She then let me in and recharged my card. I saw this happen to one guy the night before, and I let him in.
No bathtub and the shower floor was stained. Though it was clean and the overall room was clean.
No coffee maker, but a pitcher with a heating element in it. Simply got a package of instant coffee and rolled with it – no biggie.
Their 7.5 Euro breakfast was cold cereal, coffee, juice, pastries, and maybe some fruit. The dining room was quite nice, but the actual food was overpriced – in my opinion, so I never partook. It was populated nearly every morning.
The one main negative:
Every time I returned my room had some horrid smell to it. I simply opened the window and after 5 minutes the smell was gone. I did smell that same odor in a couple of place in Arles, so maybe as a result of the Camargue?
Assorted observations:
If the hotel had a small fridge and microwave it would have been really perfect for what I needed. I adapted to this shortcoming by getting a thermal bag with a couple blocks of ice and storing a few food items.
There are pizza trucks sometimes along Stalingrad Ave and definitely closer around the City Center. They actually bake a pizza in a truck and hand it to you – they stay open longer than most cafes.
There is a E.Leclerc about a mile up the roundabout. It is basically like a Super Wal-Mart or Target. You can get a tv, hairbrush, ham, chips, and wine there or pretty much whatever. There’s also a McDonalds, automated gas station and a laundry in the parking lot of that store.
One unexpected bonus from staying there, which was not on any of my online research of Arles, on D17 just up from the hotel was some ruins of an old Roman Aqueduct. Just driving around, and there’s a sign saying Roman Aqueduct. No tourist anything around, simply pull over and follow a social path along the aqueduct. Perfectly neat!
Without a car, I don’t know how mobile one would be. There is a couple of Envia bus stops (good for getting around Arles for sure) but to Avignon or beyond - maybe if you’re a local or understand the French bus system…? But as a tourist with limited time, I think one really needs a car to explore the Provence.
If I was to plan another Provence trip I would put this hotel in the top rung of places I would use as my base of operations.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank funtobeme
Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2009

OK, this place was a bit odd. Wondered the last time the bedspead had been laundered, as there was a bag of rice lying on the bed when we went in. Tiny tiny room, had to crawl over each other, no room for two suitcases. The towels are very thin terry cloth and the shower was stopped up. No toilet paper, had to request it.

My bad for not booking a room somewhere else in advance.

Bright side, the breakfast was tasty.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Watundah

Travellers are raving about these Arles hotels