“Home away from Home!”
Review of La Violette

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Avignon
La Violette
Ranked #24 of 53 Avignon B&B and Inns
genoa
“Home away from Home!”
Reviewed 20 October 2010

My partner and I had a lovely three night stay at La Violette. Our room was absolutely stunning, beautifully decorated and had such a warm feel. It was in a perfect location - a short stroll from the main street which meant it was very peaceful and quiet. Our host Isabelle was so hospitable, making us afternoon tea and recommending great things to do and local restaurants. Breakfast was amazing, both in terms of quality and quantity. In such a pretty place as Avignon, we were so glad we stayed somewhere that did it justice!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fucur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2010

My wife and I stayed at the La Violette, Avignon for (3) nights during our (12) day honeymoon through Southern France.

Our hostess Isabelle was absolutely fantastic. She greeted us with tea, coffee and homemade ice cream in her garden. She has a passion for people and that is evident immediately upon meeting her. I am American and my wife is Quebecois, though I am not fluent in French Isabelle spoke English to me and made me feel very comfortable at her place. She is very well traveled herself and genuinely interested in meeting new people to share some stories and laughs with.

She spent plenty of time explaining to us what the City of Avignon and the rest of Southern France had to offer us. She helped us plan the remaining portion of our trip and gave us many good recommendations.

The Bed and Breakfast is very well located and you can walk to the City Center in 5 minutes from La Violette. The breakfast was excellent with plenty of strong coffee, french bread, yogurt, fruit, cereal, boiled eggs, great chocolate pastries and croissants.

After spending time chatting with us and getting to know my love for French cheese and wine. She arrived one evening out of the blue with glasses of local white wine and a nice piece of local cheese that she recommended.

Though she was there to answer questions and help make plans she was also discreet and gave us plenty of privacy.

The house is very neat and private with a private parking spot. The room had everything you could ask for with a private bathroom and a lovely terrace overlooking the garden. The smells of flowers and lavender are all through the house and garden which my wife really enjoyed.

This is a simple but great place to stay with a host you will miss when you have to leave!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brett6835
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2010

This B&B is conveniently located to the walled city and all transportation routes, yet it is in a cozy residential neighbourhood. The rooms are very comfortable, clean, and nicely decorated. But the main reason to stay here is because of your gracious hostess - Isabelle. From her scrumptous breakfasts to her knowledge of the local area, Isabelle is a real gem whose main concern is to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
Avignon makes a great base to explore some of the other areas in Provence.
A must see is the wondeful town of L'Isle Sur La Sorgue that is best known for its antique shops and beautiflu location on the Sorgue river (an Isabelle recommendation !). It is a short 20 minute bus ride away.
You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gypsy91
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2010

My husband and I were only in Avignon for a short pit stop (one night), so we didn't really have many expectations going in. However, our experience was enhanced considerably by our stay at La Violette. Our hostess was Isabelle, the super-friendly, attentive owner of La Violette, a lovely B&B located a quick 5-minute walk from the city wall.

We booked our stay rather late, so I was a bit anxious about our reservation. However, Isabelle was extremely helpful, responding to both my phone calls and emails in a timely manner, assuring me that I had nothing to worry about.

As soon as we arrived, Isabelle offered to prepare coffee and snacks (macaroons) for us to enjoy in her garden. She then spent 20-30 minutes pointing out the top sites she recommends, taking into account the short duration of time we would be there. She also made sure to point out the touristy sites she recommended skipping, which was also very helpful given our time constraints. One of her recommendations was a true gem, Le Moutardier, a restaurant which directly overlooks the Palais des Papes (Pope's Palace) (as a side note, I was originally skeptical of the restaurant since it's in such a touristy area which I assumed would mean it was a) overpriced, b) not tasty food; however, that luckily wasn't the case at all).

The house itself at La Violette is on the older side, but for the price, location (close proximity to the city centre), and charm of our hostess, it can't be beat. We got the "lavender" room, which, appropriately enough, was decked out in shades of purple, with cute purple towel sets, soaps, and bedsheets. There was also a small kitchen directly across from our room, which was stocked with all the basic supplies you would need for a short stay.

Breakfast the following morning was equally pleasant. Isabelle prepared a huge breakfast basket/tray for us to enjoy in her garden, and again came to sit with us to ask about how we had enjoyed exploring the town the previous evening and what our plans were for the coming day. In one conversation with her, my husband and I were able to learn more about how French people live their everyday lives than we had learned after spending 1.5 weeks in France. Isabelle was personable, knowledgeable, and eager to learn about us and help make our stay more enjoyable in whatever way she could. Our stay at La Violette exemplifies everything you would expect and more in a B&B experience - personal, cozy, and down-to-earth.

At the end of our stay, we exchanged contact info w/ Isabelle, as she is definitely someone we would love to stay in touch with (how often is it that you would say that about someone after only staying at their place for one night?)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kayputh
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2010

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon in Avignon. We didn't really plan much on what to do in Avignon and all we relied on was a Lonely Planet guide (of France). First, Isabelle welcomed us with a nice afternoon tea in her lovely garden. Afternoon tea might be an understatement since she served us home made ice cold chocolate drinks with macrons and treats. She sat down with us and patiently showed us a map and pointed out all the places she'd recommend us to go to and how to avoid all the tourist traps. She took care of all the details including drawing us a walking route and even calling the restaurant she recommended to reserve a table for us.

We enjoyed her hospitality so much and started chatting with her like friends. We followed her advice and Avignon turned out to be an experience that exceeded all our expectations. Staying at the La Viollete was a charming experience and we intend to keep in touch with the awesome host - Isabelle.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johntan894
London
Reviewed 3 August 2010

La Violette is a perfect place to stay for me, especially during the Festival of Theatre, Avignon, as it gets too busy and crowded. It was nice to be able to borrow the host's bike to ride around experiencing the lively city, yet come back to rest in a leafy lovely residential area. And it's just 10 mins walk away from the city wall! The host was very lovely and gives a warm welcome and good advice for visiting the city. And if you like the theatre, she is the one to talk to!

The breakfast was fabulous, and you can have it in her beautiful garden. And if you're around during the afternoon, there is a special treat with tea and cakes. Everything was arranged with great taste, and care. The bedroom was very comfortable, so as the bathrooms. Fabulous experience, and glad I stayed there!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank fitcejda
genoa
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Very nice B&B in a very nice city. The "maitresse", Isabel, is very nice and tqkes care of everything for guests (for children too).

The offered food for breakfast is with good quality and in quantity.

Our final suggestion is to come here for sure. ;-)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family