“Great location”

Ranked #26 of 69 Hotels in Avignon
Newport Beach, California
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Location is excellent. Walking distance to all tourist attractions and restaurants. Rooms on the small side, but nice modern decor. Like many hotels in France, there is no shower. We didn't find the staff to be very helpful. We had to drag our own luggage from the street up several steps to the front desk. (no ramp) and several stairs throughout the hotel. If you have a car make sure to reserve a parking spot in the small hotel parking structure or you'll have to park a short distance away and pay more. The desk staff was did their job with efficiency, but don't expect a smile.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Suepkid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brighton, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I like Avignon. If you read my reviews of hotels in Paris, you’ll note that I don’t like Paris - but I do like Avignon. This is the second time we have stayed there; last year we stayed at the Novotel (which was fine - just a little soul-less), so this time we decided to stay somewhere with a little more character, we chose the Bristol.

The Hotel Bristol is perfectly situated just inside the city walls, a few minutes walk away from the main railway station and the Eurostar - great location. Big tick.

The reception area is very pleasant, spacious and well laid out, sadly the hotel slipped a little from this point on. However, they do get two more big ticks, firstly, free, speedy Wi-Fi (bravo!) a tad annoying that I had to log in every time I turned my laptop on - but a minor whinge, and another big tick for providing the baby cot we requested for my daughter’s son (in their room).

Our room was a good size, in fact a very good size and that was appreciated - however, the decor and standard of furniture was bland - and to be frank - cheap and tacky. We had twin beds (pet hate), a mini bar, a small TV, a safe, a round table, two chairs and a small desk (as I said, spacious) we also had two extraordinary pieces of ‘art’ over the bed (I’ve attached a photo; if anyone from the hotel would like to tell me why? I would appreciate it). We didn’t get coffee / tea making facilities (more on this shortly). We had a separate WC and a bathroom - which, sadly, could have done with a good clean. We had cobwebs on the wall (so as not to embarrass the hotel, I won’t attach the photos, but if they wish proof, then, I will gladly do so). I reported this to reception: “perhaps it’s the lime-stone walls” the young lady suggested, “no”, I said “it was just the spiders”.

We arrived back, after a good dinner, at 21.30 - not late we thought (how wrong we were) - and went into the bar as my wife wanted a before-bed-cup-of-tea, the bar was dark. I asked if we could get a cup of tea, at reception, “no” I was told “it’s late - the bar is closed”. It was nine-thirty on a Friday night! And don’t forget (I promised you I’d get back to this) there wasn’t a tea / coffee making facility in the room, so we had to go back out into the night. All for the want of a kettle, a tea bag and some cups.

The walls of the hotel, presumably due to it’s age, are thick and dense, so little in the way of noise from other rooms permeated into ours, this would have facilitated a good nights’ sleep - except for the constant noise from the street (we were on the second floor - perhaps the upper floors are better) and a small alarm outside our door which ‘bleeped’ three times every hour - presumably to direct people to the emergency exit away from the raging fire (which wasn’t happening). So……….we didn’t get much sleep that night.

In short, The Hotel Bristol is OK (apart from the sleep quality), but with a small expenditure and a little bit a creativity it could be so much much better; it was just about OK and all rather bland.

I cannot say that I will be rushing back, but will probably visit Avignon again - my search for a mid priced hotel I can recommend will go on, as the Bristol just isn’t it.

Room Tip: I can only think that the higher you get, the less street noise you'll get.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Neil D
Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

As always I read the reviews before booking this hotel and the reviews didn't let me down! Located within the city walls of old Avignon this hotel is only a 5 minute walk from Avignon Centre train station. Check - in was easy as could be. The room was spacious and clean as was the bathroom. The minibar carried a large selection of beverages. The staff couldn't have been more nice. We would walk in and wouldn't even have to say our room number. The staff knew which room we were in. I really appreciated that and it made me feel very welcome.
I can't comment on the breakfast because in all honesty I thought € 13 for breakfast was a little pricey. If we had had more time to really sit down and eat a buffet breakfast we would've but that would take away time from exploring the lovely city of Avignon.
Although located near the main road and with lots of pubs and restaurants nearby you couldn't hear any of it in the room.
One minor 'negative' comment about our room: our shower didn't have a shower curtain. So every time me or my friend took a shower the water would splash all over the bathroom. I would suggest putting up a shower curtain in room 131. ;-)
In conclusion: would I stay here again? Yes. In a heartbeat. The room is everything you will need for a visit to Avignon. As the (old) city is easy to walk around in it's a great location to start exploring the city. The staff will make you feel right at home.
It was a pleasure to stay at The Bristol Hotel in Avignon.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank elske777
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I would say this is more of a quick convenient hotel rather than somewhere to base yourself for a long trip in the city.

As we arrived by train into the main station finding the hotel was effortless located right on the main road which goes into the walled city. The hotel lobby is clean and the staff were friendly and helpful.

The room again was clean though a little dated and would say that the mattress which seemed like it had a plastic covering over the top could do with being replaced. Overall the stay was only for 2 nights whilst exploring the city. For a simple stay with basic luxuries in a great location this is a good option for a place to stay. I would like to give the hotel 3.5 stars but there was nothing inappropriately wrong to rank it down to 3.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bruscus82
Jundiai, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Located on the main street of the old town in the heart of Avignon Festival, is comfortable, clean and safe. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful and there is own parking upon payment of an extra fee.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cmalagoli
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Good location inside the old city walls within easy walking distance of the Place of the Popes. Safe underground public parking only steps away. Spacious rooms with comfortable beds, good showers, and fast WiFi. Good petite dejourner. Courteous and friendly staff. However our room air conditioning was so inadequate that it was cooler in the hallway outside our room!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frankb582
Issaquah, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights at the Hotel Bristol. The room decorating could use a little face lift. But, it was very clean and comfortable. Although a bit overpriced, we did enjoy the breakfast which was a nice selection of meats, cheeses, fruit, eggs, breads, pastries, yogurts, cereals, and beverages. We appreciated the very friendly and helpful staff. We liked the great location within Avignon's city walls. We were able to walk and see much of the city by foot.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends