Hotel d'Europe
Hotel de l'Horloge(Avignon)
US$161
US$129
Agoda.com
Kyriad Avignon - Palais Des Papes(Avignon)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$95
Travelocity
Le Magnan Hotel(Avignon)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$99
Hotel Mignon(Avignon)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$86
All reviewsbeautiful hotelplace crillonprestige roomclassic hotelold world charmlovely courtyardthe hotel's restaurantwithin walking distancefive star hotelwould highly recommend this hotellarge roomhistoric buildinginside the city wallsbuffet breakfastpope's palacewonderful staystreet noise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel since it was the #1 rated hotel in Avignon (at the time). I like to leave detailed reviews about what I did and didn't like, so bear with me. Suffice it to say, that it was a complete mystery to both of us how this is a 5-star hotel. Lest anyone dismiss this review as the opinion of an American with unrealistic expectations for European accommodations, I should mention that my wife and I have stayed at several hotels in Italy and France, all of which were 4-star or better. I'll also address the possibility that perhaps I'm a chronic complainer who finds a problem with everything. Reading my other reviews should adequately disabuse one of this opinion, since I've left "Excellent" ratings when they were deserved.

Before I go into the gritty details of why this hotel is disappointing, I would like to mention the one positive thing about this hotel: the service. The excellent staff is the only reason I didn't give this hotel a rating of "Terrible." From the moment we arrived until our checkout, the staff was nothing less than stellar: attentive, prompt, friendly, and very helpful. That being said, it still felt like we were staying at a 3-star hotel (at best) with a 5-star staff. As an additional positive the location is good for doing all the major touristy activities in Avignon.

I'll start with the facts. We booked a classic room (i.e., the lowest cost option at this hotel) and stayed on the second floor. For those unfamiliar with European hotels, by second floor I mean what is referred to in France as the "duexieme étage", which would be known in the US as the third floor since the ground floor is usually referred to as 0. When I booked the hotel, I was surprised that the price was less than the 4-star hotel that we had booked in Paris. I chalked this up to the fact the hotels in Paris are likely more expensive than other hotels in France, similar to the price difference between a hotel in New York and a hotel in a rural area of the US. So despite my disappointment, at least I didn't quite pay a 5-star rate. However, a hotel of this cost in the US would be much nicer in my opinion, even when accounting for the generally higher cost of hotels in Europe.

I completely understand that this is a celebrated hotel. I've stayed at other historic hotels though and they did not look as run-down as this one. The 4-star hotel we stayed at in Paris was old as well, but managed to achieve a balance of charming historical style with an updated decor. In particular, I'm talking about the carpet. The only other hotel I've stayed at with such worn down, dirty-looking carpet was a crappy airport hotel in Milwaukee (check my reviews for more details if interested). This is not what I was expecting out of a 5-star hotel! My wife honestly didn't even want to walk on the carpet with bare feet. After we arrived in our room, my wife discovered toenail clippings on the carpet beside the bed. This is one of those disgusting discoveries that would be expected at a cheap motel. I had expected much more from a 5-star hotel. We informed the front desk of this and they sent someone to take care of it right away. They actually had us show them where the clippings were since they couldn't find them when they looked on their own. The mess was cleaned up and the staff sincerely apologized. As I said at the beginning of this review, the staff is great!

Our bathroom wasn't much better. The flooring looked better than the bedroom, though everything still seemed cheap and outdated (most noticeably the faucet fixtures, which looked like those often seen in subsidized housing). The provided toiletries are similar in quality to something you'd find at a cheap motel in the US (i.e., Super 8 or a Motel 6), but not an upscale establishment. The bidet made a funny noise whenever the sink was running and it seemed impossible to get the water temperature right. When taking a shower I basically had to constantly adjust the temperature. It would be just right for a minute or two, then suddenly lose pressure, turn really hot, or turn really cold. This could be especially annoying when washing your face or rinsing your hair. I know these may sound like small things or perhaps like I'm being nitpicky. In my opinion however, it's the attention to little details that separates a 5-star hotel from a 3 or 4-star hotel.

The lack of amenities available in the room, and the poor quality of those that were provided, is another point worth mentioning. For example, the other two hotels we stayed at in France (both 4-star hotels; one in central Paris, the other near Charles de Gaulle airport) both had a Nespresso machine in the room at no additional cost. No such thing or its equivalent was provided in our room at the supposedly 5-star Hotel d'Europe. I'm not specifically demanding that each room have a Nespresso machine, but it's certainly a nice touch. I guess I pretty much expect free coffee as a minimal offering from a 3-star or better establishment. Even a Nespresso machine in the room would only place this hotel on par with a 4-star hotel. I would expect a 5-star hotel to have some distinguishing features from a 4-star hotel. At Hotel d’Europe coffee was only available at the bar for purchase.

There was a provided mini fridge that did not appear to be working at all, as it felt room temperature inside and did not keep our cheese cold (we ended up having to throw it away). While a safe was provided in the room, it was old and very small. Our iPad barely fit with some maneuvering. Interestingly, the safe was operated by swiping a credit card to lock/open. I could foresee this being a problem for some if your wallet was by chance stolen. I'm accustomed to the more updated models that allow you to enter a 4-digit code to unlock and lock the safe. Again, the mini fridge and safe were amenities with quality poorer than a 4-star hotel in France.

Our room wasn't the only place that seemed drab. The general look of the hotel was dilapidated, with the bar, restaurant, and reception area (basically, the whole first floor) being the exception. I fully understand that this is a historic hotel and that the charm and uniqueness comes from this aspect. If I squinted my eyes, it seemed like a classy and elegant place. Unfortunately, with eyes wide open, it was all too easy to spot the dingy, shabby look. I really don't understand all the glowing reviews that this place received from others. I almost feel like my wife and I were in an episode of "The Twilight Zone" where everyone else saw something completely different than what we did. The one thing I'll mention is that it seemed like we were the only young couple staying at the hotel while we were there. Is it perhaps a generational difference? I don't mean to be insulting with this observation. I'm not insinuating that as a younger couple we're "better" than older couples. Perhaps there is a difference in expectations and aesthetics that could have some correlation with age. Or perhaps I'm grasping at straws for a way to explain how so many people were pleased with Hotel d'Europe.

In my opinion, if you want to experience the historical aspects of this hotel and prefer to stay in a more updated, luxurious feeling room, go here for dinner but don’t stay. The Novotel may better suite your needs.

5  Thank NicolasM807
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We visited hotel d'Europe between 6-8.9. We really enjoyed the hotel! The rooms that we had were of excellent quality => big and clean. We had a room, which was on the quiet side. Be aware that if your room is near to the restaurant, you might get disturbed. Maybe the best part of the hotel is the excellent and historical garden with a tree from year 1775. In addition the friendlyness and of the employees is 10+. All the questions that we had were quickly ansered and wishes arranged. We will certainly visit the hotel again!!

Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel was fabulous - beautiful, charming and elegant. The staff was professional, efficient, VERY guest-oriented and a delight to interact with. The location is outstanding and the ambiance in the courtyard was downright magical. We loved coming "home" each day to our well-appointed room, a glass of champagne in the courtyard and a gracious staff welcoming us back. The hotel is expensive, but worth every euro. We are already planning a return trip to Hotel d'Europe next year. Tony Bennett may have left his heart in San Francisco, but I left mine in Avignon at the Hotel d'Europe!
PS...my Trip Advisor profile pic is from the hotel's courtyard!

Reviewed 10 September 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights in sept. We loved it. The room was spacious and very comfortable. Huge bathroom. The front desk staff was very helpful with directions, reservations, anything we needed. Would stay there again if I ever returned to Avignon.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here 2 nights. This is such a beautiful old hotel with a history that dates back to to 17th century! Our room was not in the main building but we had our own private entry off the beautiful courtroom and room on the road which was quiet due to double glazing. Room was very large and sumptuous and extremely well appointed.Lovely bathroom and Internet available. Decorated in classic old world charm...very comfy bed and air con a bonus! Staff very friendly and helpful..valet parking such a bonus in his narrow roaded walled city. This hotel is well located to all the shopping, restaurants, and tourist attractions. 5 star luxury ...very affordable.. A must stay!