“Loved it!”

Ranked #3 of 69 Hotels in Avignon
Melbourne, Australia
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

The jewel in the crown of this lovely hotel was the stunning courtyard with an ancient plane tree at the front of the hotel. It was delightful to sit there in the afternoon with a glass of the pale rosé. The rooms were pleasant if a bit dated in the décor and the staff were outstanding - polite, friendly, welcoming and helpful. The location in Place Crillon (just off the wonderful Rue Joseph Verne and very close to the Palais des Papes) was second to none.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and plan to return!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
South Lake Tahoe, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Location is the premiere feature, with service a strong second in this ideally located piece of history. Napoleon slept here- google it. We booked the last value priced room and found the room to be just fine, although small. The bed was a queen size and a little too soft for me, so when I asked at the front desk if another room was available, all hands on deck- searched to find me a firmer bed. They did this by offering us a suite with two twins pushed together, a far superior room, and asked for no additional fee. This has endeared the staff to me and I will shout their praises from every rooftop. Robes, slippers, charming antiques in each room, fine linens, nice toiletries and a very fine and friendly staff. I will stay here again if I ever return to Avignon.

Room Tip: The rooms are priced according to size, but even the smallest was nice. Courtside rooms get a wake u...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Runsailwrite
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Avignon has so much to offer. We stayed here for two nights in a most comfortable room in this lovely hotel. I cannot say enough to praise it for comfort, charm, and wonderful service. I regret not eating here, but as you will see if you stay here, there are so many restaurants close by, that the diner is spoilt for choice.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ian B
NY/Westport/Provence
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Bonjour to everyone who has read Elias' adventures at the Hotel D'Europe since 2004 (or as long as TripAdvisor has been around). If you've read all my reviews before, one would think that I could not find another facet of this, the finest 5* hotel outside of Paris in another Grande-ville Francaise, to add in a review. But as a person who is almost French by assimilation (100 visits since 2003) , I am in a unique position to help steer my fellow countrymen (and others) in this amazing country, region and Grande-ville (Avignon) that I know better than my home, metro New York! Why do I continue to stay at the Hotel D'Europe? After all…there are other 5* properties around the region and I know my way down every D and N route in the 'Midi' ..so why not try a change of pace? Never! Jamais! Once I have found perfection , meaning perfection for me…which I dear say is along the lines of the sophisticated traveller, I become very personally attached to those few places (Actually…there is only the 'Europe' and 'Le Grand' in Paris that I feel this way in France) where 5* luxe mixed with a sense of warmth, extreme physical beauty and an amazing historic building with 'to die fore rooms and most important, l'equipe merveilleux that run this hotel. Although I travel too much…!!….I need certain things to keep me happy and excited to greet each day as in reality, I m very attached to my home. Voila! Hotel d'Europe has been my 'second home' in France for so many years that when I enter I smile and give a big sigh like when I return home at the end of a trip. So…let me give you so pertinent facts for those who are reading my review of 'H d'Europe' without reading the previous reviews:
1) You are staying in a registered historic building where there is actually a room where Napoleon
spent the night..but the building is far older than that. It was restored without any restrictions many years ago and they really did it right. A 5* hotel that has the sense of centuries of history and yet….a design that gives you every creature comfort of the 21C without taking away from the grandeur of this historic landmark. Authentic Provencal/Languedocienne antiques fill the hotel in the hallways and the rooms. Some are so beautiful that I spent the first few visits exploring the hallways and the rooms (when I had the luck) because if you love true Formal/country antiques of this region, the hotel is like a mini-museum. Each room is laid out in a spectacular design (I've stayed in almost every Prestige room, the Napoleon room, the jr suites with balconies, many of the superiors and my two favorite rooms 112 and 101 (prestige), and the beautiful detail, large windows, beautiful furnishings along with Flat screen TV and the most modern, spacious bathrooms that even have very fine fixtures to compliment the room, are all part of what makes your stay so wonderful. BTW….every inch of this building is beyond shiny and clean. Never once in 10 years has the quality of maintenance been compromised.
2) The lobby and restaurant are set on the main floor and also give one a sense of special luxury with a mix of warmth and a casual feel that makes you feel instantly relaxed and…happy! The Michelin star restaurant is one of the best in Avignon and I've dined any times but that..is for another review.
3) The COURTYARD. The most beautiful garden courtyard in all of Avignon with sculptured bushes and flowers and pots overflowing with beautiful petit trees, all designed to have a perfect symmetry of escaping the street to your 'secret garden where you can relax after touring with one of their amazing tea selections (the madeleines that comes with the tea are my favorite in France) or a glass of two of my favorite wines, Viognier and Chateauneuf du Pape, both excellent wines offered by the hotel, at a very reasonable rate. If I am very tired, the bar menu is a great way to relax and have a light meal either in the wonderful ambiance of the garden or inside in a comfy club room.
4) The staff. I have known everyone who has work since 2004. Never has this hotel added a new member to their team who doesn't 'get' the special quality that makes this hotel special and is also extended through the amazing faces that represent the hotel. THis trip I was very happy to get to know Lisa, a wonderful addition to the desk staff. Lianna , the Sebastiens, the lovely young women who serves drinks in the garden (I forgot her name…so warm and always remember what I prefer) to the ladies who bring your breakfast hot and fast. Bravo! Bravo! BtW….the breakfast here is an unreal price for A 5* hotel and the quality is TOPS. I always order a big pot of tea (loose tea!) with steamed milk (they send you a madeleine as part of the tea), fresh baguette and the most exotic fresh and tasty Salade de fruit that I've had in a hotel. The cost for my petit dejeuner ? 10 euros! If I am in chamber 101 (my all time favorite)..I open the giant windows and sit back on the settee and enjoy a 1/2 hour reading the paper and enjoying the rom before I start my day.
5) Sergio and Anna. Sergio who along with his associate Anna runs the Front-desk area, room placement, guest relations …you name it has found his own style of running the hotel with a charming, relaxed yet attentive manner and he greets all 'clients fiddles' like old friends and will sincerely try to make every facet of your stay, perfect. I know Sergio for a number of years and to watch him be elevated to this position and take the 'jul by the horns' and exceeding all expectations has been wonderful for the hotel (and for me!) I was so happy to see that Anna had returned as the Associate to Sergio. If Anna is running the desk and you need anything or just want a warm hello or a suggestion, no problem, she is the consummate Hotelier.

I want to finish this review by saying that although I have strong feelings of attachment to this Petit Grand Palace d'Avignon, it would not be possible if all the ingredients that I listed above were not 100% true. I've stayed hundreds of places in France and always 4/5* and I am pretty discriminating, how lucky for me, and any of you who decide to use the Hotel as your base while visiting the region, that I will always have this 'Enchanted Petit Chateau' to return to again and again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank LeTerrible
Guangzhou
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is a charming hotel. I chose this hotel and was pleasantly surprised that my husband, who usually only likes very modern and minimalistic decor in hotels, was swept away and loved every little detail about our stay. The location is perfect the rooms are comfortable and inviting; the service is excellent. I would definitely stay again if I ever return to this part of France.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2 different rooms, a standard room and then the next category up. To be honest both we...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Very nice service and rooms. I found it comfortable in this beautiful town, Avignon. It's not a big fancy hotel, but it has its character. People in the hotel are kind and helpful. I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sophyeh
Narbonne, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We are lucky to have stayed here more than once. The location is excellent for wandering in Avignon, we don't use our car from arrival to departure. The staff are excellent - always cheerful, friendly and helpful. We have enjoyed lovely rooms on each visit. The whole atmosphere is wonderful and we consider a stay as a proper treat to ourselves.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple