Hotel d'Europe
  • Pool
Hotel Central(Avignon)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$110
Kyriad Avignon - Palais Des Papes(Avignon)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$97
Hotels.com
Auberge de Cassagne & Spa(Le Pontet)
US$330
US$263
Kyriad Avignon Nord Le Pontet(Le Pontet)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$54
Agoda.com
Ibis Budget Avignon Centre(Avignon)(Great Value!)
US$64
ibis Budget
All reviewsbeautiful hotelplace crillonprestige roomclassic hotelold world charmlovely courtyardthe hotel's restaurantwithin walking distancefive star hotelwould highly recommend this hotellarge roomhistoric buildinginside the city wallsbuffet breakfastpope's palacewonderful staystreet noise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a very classy hotel with a price tag to match. Very well located in this interesting town, you can walk to pretty well everywhere. The service is very good and the rooms quite spacious. Car parking is provided at a price, and this means valet parking, and that's great as the streets are decidedly narrow and difficult.

Room Tip: We had a Superior Double which meant we also had a private terrace to use
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Objectively speaking, there are so many great things about the hotel. The location was excellent, service was swift and professional, the lobby and public spaces of the hotel were so exquisitely decorated and charming, etc. I echo pretty much all the positive comments in the other reviews, but there were two issues with our room that just marred the experience:

1. Our room was small, but that in and of itself wasn't a problem; the issue was there was very little natural light, so it felt a bit claustrophobic at times. Our room overlooked the courtyard below, and there was some live music in the evening (particularly on Saturday). At first, I enjoyed it, but as it got later, I got worried that it would go into the wee hours. Thankfully, it stopped at 11:30pm, but I really would have preferred having the choice of whether to have music or not, but with the way the windows were, we really couldn't block out the music. Plus, there was some noise in the early morning.

2. The bed: I guess the mattress was old because it sloped towards the middle.

Maybe it was just our room (room 204). In fact, I sincerely hope it was just my room, because there really was so much to like about the hotel. I'd consider going back but if I do, I would go for a larger room. The larger room is ~50-60% more expensive though, so really, I would just look at whether there is better value elsewhere. Bear in mind that if you're staying in Provence for a while, there isn't a real need to stay in Avignon. Out of the five nights we stayed in the area, four of the days were spent outside Avignon, so we could have used another city/village as our base.

PS. One interesting tidbit: despite the hotel being hundreds of years old, the Internet connection was blazingly fast. A 25-minute high-definition video took about 9 minutes to fully download!

Room Tip: Avoid room 204.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Edwin L
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The jewel in the crown of this lovely hotel was the stunning courtyard with an ancient plane tree at the front of the hotel. It was delightful to sit there in the afternoon with a glass of the pale rosé. The rooms were pleasant if a bit dated in the décor and the staff were outstanding - polite, friendly, welcoming and helpful. The location in Place Crillon (just off the wonderful Rue Joseph Verne and very close to the Palais des Papes) was second to none.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and plan to return!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Location is the premiere feature, with service a strong second in this ideally located piece of history. Napoleon slept here- google it. We booked the last value priced room and found the room to be just fine, although small. The bed was a queen size and a little too soft for me, so when I asked at the front desk if another room was available, all hands on deck- searched to find me a firmer bed. They did this by offering us a suite with two twins pushed together, a far superior room, and asked for no additional fee. This has endeared the staff to me and I will shout their praises from every rooftop. Robes, slippers, charming antiques in each room, fine linens, nice toiletries and a very fine and friendly staff. I will stay here again if I ever return to Avignon.

Room Tip: The rooms are priced according to size, but even the smallest was nice. Courtside rooms get a wake up call from the birds in the courtyard, a pleasant but loud alarm.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Runsailwrite
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Avignon has so much to offer. We stayed here for two nights in a most comfortable room in this lovely hotel. I cannot say enough to praise it for comfort, charm, and wonderful service. I regret not eating here, but as you will see if you stay here, there are so many restaurants close by, that the diner is spoilt for choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple