“My Home Away From Home : The Finest 5* Hotel Outside of Paris”
Review of Hotel d'Europe

Hotel d'Europe
Ranked #3 of 68 Hotels in Avignon
Reviewed 26 March 2010

You are not reading a review from a one time visitor or even a return guest. I am a person who travels to France 5/6 times a year for business and to enjoy la vie Francais with my many close friends in France. I can easily stay with several friends near Avignon and as a matter of fact, I have a bedroom in my dearest friend's home that is just for me..for as long as I want to stay. Why is it then that I chosen this Hotel as my base when I am in the 'Midi' of France? Voila. I will tell you. The Hotel d'Europe is without doubt the finest 5* hotel outside of Paris.That being said, it has many amenities that one can not attribute to star status nor the hotel's exemplary chambres, garden, modern amenities, period antiques and a michelin starred restaurant. Non.Non. It is the little things that a hotel of this 'perfect' size demands of itself when taking care of its clients. That is exactly how one feels the moment they enter the soothing lobby with the finest staff in France, bar none, ready to care for you. I have been staying at the Hotel for many years and instead of being compromised in giving a review as I adore this hotel, I find it makes my review probably the most important of all reviews of this hotel. Why? I am constantly traveling throughout France and have stayed at more regional 4/5 * hotels, including R&C, than the majority of people who spend as much time as I do in France on business and personal reasons.. My appreciation for this hotel after I've been away or stayed at other hotels in other regions of France of the same status, makes me highly aware of the 'magical spell' that this gem provides without you even noticing how much much detail is employed to make your stay special. The rooms from Superiors to Deluxe are stunning. A mixture of cozy 'old world' Provencal antiques with all the amenties of a modern hotel. Cable TV, Free Wi-Fi, Bathrooms that are bigger and more beautiful than most Manhattan apartments and beds that lull you to sleep as your giant old-fashioned windows shutter out any noise from the outside world. I love having the breakfast served in my room (a bargain compared to most hotels) as I look out the open windows at the beaautiful courtyard garden and I plan my day over a wonderful bread basket, fresh OJ and delicious natural yogurt and a Fruit Salad that is filled with the most extraordinary hard to find fruits of this quality, at any time of year. Fresh Madeleines always accompany your tea or coffee and they are usually still warm. Of course you can opt for a much bigger breakfast., as well in the dining room..or your room. The rooms are ideal temperature, year round. If you are not up for dining in the 1* Michelin restaurant that is one of the best in Avignon, the fun and relaxing bar, with the nicest staff, will prepare you a wonderful light meal (I recommend the Soupe Veloutee and the Foie Gras plate with a glass of the house Chateauneuf de papes) at a reasonable price. Anything you need done that comes up unexpectedly will be taken care of by the front desk in a manner that will disipate your worry as you know you are under the best care. Now...and the most important for last....Fernando and Cecile (Although Cecile is no longer there..I must mention her as along with Fernando..she is the reason that I made this hotel may home and.,..they are both responsible for the 5* status) . Cecile remembered everyone when they returned for a second visit. She had the rare bubbly personality that gave you the sense of an old, warm friend. A very and wonderful woman who always looked for the best in every client who entered the hotel. I can tell you from getting to know her very well over the years..it was not an act. She truly always looked to meet people and make them happy, special and well cared for at the hotel. At the same time her attention to every little piece of detail in the hotel is part of what raised this place from a 4* to a 5* hotel. A radiant personality and a perfectionist. What more could one want? The changes she implemented are still found throughout the hotel. Luckily, the other half of this 'dynamci duo' Fernando , is still at the helm. He is the Director of the front desk staff as well as many other responsibilities. It was Fernando who I first met (on his first day) many years ago when I checked into the hotel for my first time. He has the charm of a diplomat but who is honestly concerned in your happiness and well-being at the hotel. he has solved more problems for me over the last several years that I care to count and he makes your entrance to the hotel like a reunion when ever you return. His wonderful manner is the essence that pervades the hotel and that all the staff emulate. The wonderful General Director adores him and I can see why. Fernando is that 'extra something' at the hotel :)
As an aside, the last time I was there (a month ago), he was 'owwing' and 'ahhing' over a repeat clients pictures of her new new grandson. He was truly thrilled for her and had an employee put a call on hold until he had seen all the photos. There you have it. So my conclusion? All the luxe of a 5* hotel. All the coziness and nice sense of being looked after. Top notch restaurant , chambres, staff (from the bar to the wonderful guys who do the luggage/parking) and a stunning courtyard garden that is perfect for a Pastis on a summer day. Now do you see why I prefer staying here than at the home of my friend who lives nearby? Hotel D'Europe is simply Extraordinaire!!!!!!!!.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank LeTerrible

Reviewed 23 January 2010

A small hotel with all the charm and details of "Europe".
Easy to drive into, located in one of the main entrances to the city's wall. Nothing is far in Avignon - Location-Service - EXCELLENT

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2010

When one arrives in a strange city after a long day of travel , there is nothing better than finding a lovely hotel with a comfortable bed waiting. The lady at the desk was helpful -- the breakfast was outstanding. We were given assistance whenever we requested it. We loved our room over overlooking the courtyard -- and all the hot water and the fine bathroom and towels. First class all the way -- and the perfect location. We were amazed not be paying more.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We walked to Hotel d'Europe after being upset with our original choice from our agent, it was heaven The staff were so welcoming and we instantly felt at home, every detail of this beautiful hotel was superb, On our second night we had a call that my father had passed away in Australia, we flew straight home, but will forever be grateful we were in such a comforting environment when it happened. Love to go back one day

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank montezouma
Reviewed 28 October 2009

I was a little sorry we were only spending one night here. This is an absolutely splendid hotel. The staff were fantastically helpful and welcoming, which certainly helped set the tone.

The hotel itself is a lovely old building that has been mostly (but not entirely, there were a few signs of places that needed redecorating if you looked closely) been well looked after, and was a really lovely setting.

The location is great, just within the old walls of the city, and only a short walk from many good restaurants. The hotel restaurant looked like it would have been lovely, although we were only there for one night and didn't get to sample it.

The bedroom was comfortable and well kitted out, with a very nice bathroom, although the bedroom was a little on the small side for what otherwise seemed like a very luxurious hotel. We had a standard room. They also have superior rooms, which may be larger for all I know.

Breakfast was adequate, with a nice cold buffet, although the hot buffet was rather limited. I think it may have been possible to order eggs cooked to order if you were keen to have a hot breakfast. We didn't try, as the cold buffet was plenty for us.

One nice touch is that the hotel has free internet access, both wi-fi access in the bedrooms (which we didn't try) and a couple of computers dotted around the hotel that guests can use.

Overall, very happy with this place, and would definitely stay there again if I return to Avignon

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NautiusMaximus
Reviewed 26 October 2009

We stayed in two different rooms, we changed rooms after the first night but only because we decided to have 2 beds. Each room was very nice with a very comfortable bed and plenty of pillows. The bathrooms are a talking point, I have to say the bath is one of the best one I have ever used and a friend who was staying elsewhere even asked if he could use ours. The only negative point is the toilet (washroom), it doesn’t contain a wash basin so in order to wash your hands you have to exit the toilet in the hallway (situated next to the cloakroom) then walk to the bathroom which is the other side of the bedroom. This is completely unnecessary as the toilet (washroom) is large enough to contain a washbasin and would be simple to install as they back onto the bathrooms sink. If you’re female it's even more complex as the bidet is in the bathroom, what you would do is anyone’s guess. I know this is only as small thing but if you’re a germ freak like me it’s annoying, the bathrooms are also huge so it just doesn’t make sense. Other than that it was a lovely visit, from day one the staff said hello and also remember your name. I was personally greeted by the hotels Director of Reservations upon checking in and was given a complimentary upgrade.

See my last review in April 2007 for more details when were were upgraded to the "family room" which had two toilets ,both with sinks

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Abcatal
Reviewed 18 October 2009

This hotel is superb. Staff is incredibly cordial and attentive. The hotel is lovely and every detail a guest could want is included in the premises. Elegant and well priced--truly one of the leading hotels of the world.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple