“Perfect hotel experience”

Ranked #3 of 69 Hotels in Avignon
Washington
“Perfect hotel experience”
Reviewed 26 May 2010

We stayed at the Hotel d'Europe for two nights in May 2010. It is a perfect hotel, and has become one of my favorites anywhere in Europe. Our room was large and well appointed. We had windows facing both the very nice courtyard and the street, which was fantastic and made the rooms seem even larger than it was. Everything, from the sheets to the bath products, is incredible. The best part of the hotel, however, is the service. Everyone treats you so well and they were incredibly helpful. I can't recommend this hotel enough. If you are in Avignon, there is really no better place to stay. And, it is good enough to make a special trip there just to stay.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2010

From the moment we arrived at this hotel, we were impressed. It's a grand, old building that has been carefully maintained over the centuries. It carefully balances the preservation of its history with the conveniences that today's travelers expect.

Our room was very clean, large, and decadent, with windows looking onto a courtyard. The bathroom was very spacious with a separate large tub and shower. The beautiful decor of the room was generally in keeping with the style of the hotel. I enjoyed reading about the history of the building and about some of the historical figues who visited it.

Every staff member we encountered, from housekeeping to front desk, was friendly and helpful.

The Hotel d'Europe is elegant without being pretentious. I would eagerly stay here again, and I would enthusiastically recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
San Antonio
Reviewed 20 May 2010

We spent last week on a river cruise on the Rhine River from Amsterdam to Basel, Switzerland and then a train from Basel to Avignon. On arrival at the Hotel D’Europe we were treated as if we had been here many times. We were upgraded to a large room overlooking the courtyard and after the week on the River Boat the room could not have been more appealing. Our room was on the 3rd floor and this was not a problem since the hotel is one of the few in Avignon with an elevator. Our stay in the hotel was for 6 days and we did not find any fault with the hotel or the location during our stay. The room has a separate toilet room and bathroom. The large king bed was very comfortable with excellent linens. The room has a large closet a dresser and a built in corner cupboard giving plenty of storage for clothes. There is a couch with table and a small servibar with a built in safe. The small desk is very adequate for the laptop and the wireless service is great. There are also several P/C’s in the hotel that allow guest Internet access if the are not traveling with a laptop. We found the Trip Advisor #2 restaurant La Fourchette about 2 blocks from the hotel and after our first meal booked a second reservation before leaving the restaurant. We will return to this hotel on any future trip to Provence.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
NY/Westport/Provence
Reviewed 26 March 2010

You are not reading a review from a one time visitor or even a return guest. I am a person who travels to France 5/6 times a year for business and to enjoy la vie Francais with my many close friends in France. I can easily stay with several friends near Avignon and as a matter of fact, I have a bedroom in my dearest friend's home that is just for me..for as long as I want to stay. Why is it then that I chosen this Hotel as my base when I am in the 'Midi' of France? Voila. I will tell you. The Hotel d'Europe is without doubt the finest 5* hotel outside of Paris.That being said, it has many amenities that one can not attribute to star status nor the hotel's exemplary chambres, garden, modern amenities, period antiques and a michelin starred restaurant. Non.Non. It is the little things that a hotel of this 'perfect' size demands of itself when taking care of its clients. That is exactly how one feels the moment they enter the soothing lobby with the finest staff in France, bar none, ready to care for you. I have been staying at the Hotel for many years and instead of being compromised in giving a review as I adore this hotel, I find it makes my review probably the most important of all reviews of this hotel. Why? I am constantly traveling throughout France and have stayed at more regional 4/5 * hotels, including R&C, than the majority of people who spend as much time as I do in France on business and personal reasons.. My appreciation for this hotel after I've been away or stayed at other hotels in other regions of France of the same status, makes me highly aware of the 'magical spell' that this gem provides without you even noticing how much much detail is employed to make your stay special. The rooms from Superiors to Deluxe are stunning. A mixture of cozy 'old world' Provencal antiques with all the amenties of a modern hotel. Cable TV, Free Wi-Fi, Bathrooms that are bigger and more beautiful than most Manhattan apartments and beds that lull you to sleep as your giant old-fashioned windows shutter out any noise from the outside world. I love having the breakfast served in my room (a bargain compared to most hotels) as I look out the open windows at the beaautiful courtyard garden and I plan my day over a wonderful bread basket, fresh OJ and delicious natural yogurt and a Fruit Salad that is filled with the most extraordinary hard to find fruits of this quality, at any time of year. Fresh Madeleines always accompany your tea or coffee and they are usually still warm. Of course you can opt for a much bigger breakfast., as well in the dining room..or your room. The rooms are ideal temperature, year round. If you are not up for dining in the 1* Michelin restaurant that is one of the best in Avignon, the fun and relaxing bar, with the nicest staff, will prepare you a wonderful light meal (I recommend the Soupe Veloutee and the Foie Gras plate with a glass of the house Chateauneuf de papes) at a reasonable price. Anything you need done that comes up unexpectedly will be taken care of by the front desk in a manner that will disipate your worry as you know you are under the best care. Now...and the most important for last....Fernando and Cecile (Although Cecile is no longer there..I must mention her as along with Fernando..she is the reason that I made this hotel may home and.,..they are both responsible for the 5* status) . Cecile remembered everyone when they returned for a second visit. She had the rare bubbly personality that gave you the sense of an old, warm friend. A very and wonderful woman who always looked for the best in every client who entered the hotel. I can tell you from getting to know her very well over the years..it was not an act. She truly always looked to meet people and make them happy, special and well cared for at the hotel. At the same time her attention to every little piece of detail in the hotel is part of what raised this place from a 4* to a 5* hotel. A radiant personality and a perfectionist. What more could one want? The changes she implemented are still found throughout the hotel. Luckily, the other half of this 'dynamci duo' Fernando , is still at the helm. He is the Director of the front desk staff as well as many other responsibilities. It was Fernando who I first met (on his first day) many years ago when I checked into the hotel for my first time. He has the charm of a diplomat but who is honestly concerned in your happiness and well-being at the hotel. he has solved more problems for me over the last several years that I care to count and he makes your entrance to the hotel like a reunion when ever you return. His wonderful manner is the essence that pervades the hotel and that all the staff emulate. The wonderful General Director adores him and I can see why. Fernando is that 'extra something' at the hotel :)
As an aside, the last time I was there (a month ago), he was 'owwing' and 'ahhing' over a repeat clients pictures of her new new grandson. He was truly thrilled for her and had an employee put a call on hold until he had seen all the photos. There you have it. So my conclusion? All the luxe of a 5* hotel. All the coziness and nice sense of being looked after. Top notch restaurant , chambres, staff (from the bar to the wonderful guys who do the luggage/parking) and a stunning courtyard garden that is perfect for a Pastis on a summer day. Now do you see why I prefer staying here than at the home of my friend who lives nearby? Hotel D'Europe is simply Extraordinaire!!!!!!!!.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank LeTerrible
Coral Gables, FL
Reviewed 23 January 2010

A small hotel with all the charm and details of "Europe".
Easy to drive into, located in one of the main entrances to the city's wall. Nothing is far in Avignon - Location-Service - EXCELLENT

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Wyoming
Reviewed 15 January 2010

When one arrives in a strange city after a long day of travel , there is nothing better than finding a lovely hotel with a comfortable bed waiting. The lady at the desk was helpful -- the breakfast was outstanding. We were given assistance whenever we requested it. We loved our room over overlooking the courtyard -- and all the hot water and the fine bathroom and towels. First class all the way -- and the perfect location. We were amazed not be paying more.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
australia
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We walked to Hotel d'Europe after being upset with our original choice from our agent, it was heaven The staff were so welcoming and we instantly felt at home, every detail of this beautiful hotel was superb, On our second night we had a call that my father had passed away in Australia, we flew straight home, but will forever be grateful we were in such a comforting environment when it happened. Love to go back one day

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple