“A very campy camp”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Avignon
Hostel and Camping Bagatelle
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We arrived on karaoke night and I thought we'd stepped into the camp from Dirty Dancing. It was a great value for last-minute lodging - we stayed in the hostel and while it was small, it was clean and relatively quiet. Great location right on the riverside. Because of the film festival going on the campground was absolutely mobbed the night we were there, but the staff seemed to be professional and polite for how many people they had to deal with.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 August 2012

To truly enjoy your stay at this campsite, it's good to go when the teenagers are still at school. The bathroom facilities are great and cleaned regularly, nice shop with lots of goodies. Considering the heat in Avignon, the shade at this campsite is a relief! You couldn't be any closer to the town centre either but during my stay after a recommendation from a relative, there was a lot of racket from various groups of schoolchildren who had no consideration for the other campers. It was clear not just from the level of noise but also as an example sitting and leaning on peoples cars, playing on other occupied pitches. It was a busy time of year but it was the same level of noise every night.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank StephMvL
Reviewed 12 August 2012

One of the most economical hostels during our entire Eurotrip, but only worth the bed for a night or two. There is nothing else that the camp really has to offer. Rooms are clean enough but there is something about soooooo many people using limited bathrooms. A lot of people don't keep it clean and it can be quite nerve wrecking especially when one is a bit of a stickler for cleanliness. The other problem we faced was the noise. There were some rooms that were playing loud music well into the wee hours of the morning which of course gave us a sleepless night.

The place is about a 20 minute walk from the main attractions of Avignon, which is not too bad. I would probably think twice before going back and would probably splurge a little more on a better place next time....

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We recently camped here for three nights, back packed in with our tent. It was okay, nothing fantastic. Our site had little grass but was flat and free of rocks. When we arrived our neighbours were very friendly and helpful. Our site was next to a concrete wall on the east side which we saw as a blessing because it provided some much needed shade from the early morning June sun. However on the other side of the wall was a private pool which was quite loud during the day (children screaming, etc) and very loud with an event the Friday night.

The reception for camping was not exactly fantastic but everyone else working at the campsite and hostel that we encountered was very nice. There is wi-fi but apparently it is paid however a visitor at the hostel informed us that the hostel reception (different from hotel reception) was giving the password for free.

The washrooms were very clean and smelled good (like shampoo) except a very big surprise for me coming from Canada on my first stop in France - the toilets have no seats! I luckily quickly discovered that there is a handicap washroom that DOES have a seat so don't be discouraged!

To get to Avignon you have to climb up some stairs and cross the bridge which isn't great in the heat but there was a great breeze which made it bearable.

It wasn't horrible but it wasn't fantastic, very cheap compared to Avignon's many expensive options.

Many friendly cats on the property.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed here while cycle touring.the campsite is fairly close to town (10min walk). The tent sites are shady, but there is very little grass and almost all sites were dusty bare earth. The toilet block was also pretty average!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 6 August 2010

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. We have travelled around Europe for 4.5 months now and this place is the worst by far. The two nights we were here the entire place was taken over by school kids. The noise was terrible and no noise control here as they went all night both nights. After complaining to the staff after the first night her attitude was terrible, like she has done what she can and had a terrible attitude like she couldn't give a crap about it really. Checking in was terrible, they were so disorganised and wouldn't of known if there backsides were on fire, we waited 2 hours before they would ever look at us. Also we ate here and the food was appauling. Just an example I got given boiled beans that would of been so overcooked and old that I wouldnt of fed them to my dog. All the food here was terrible.

If you are game enough and stay here then expect little or no sleep especially if you are a light sleeper like me. My bed was the worst bed in the entire place I am sure, so flat and uncomfortable and creaky that others were complaining but I couldnt do anything about it. Also be very careful in the showers as they cubicles are tiny and getting out of them wasn't fun and I ended up slipping and hurting my arm, shoulder, head, knee. I was so lucky not to knock myself out as I hit my head on the floor as it was slippery. My injuries could of been worse but I am grateful I was able to walk and continue my trip. I didn't report the accident because I knew they wouldn't of cared as the staff aren't nice and abrupt and lazy. (except for one girl in the restaurant).

This may sound a bit harsh to you? but this is review is 100% honest, I DO NOT sugar coat any of my reviews. Its a cheap campsite for a reason, GO ELSEWHERE, you will thank me later I am sure.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Butterflygirl54
Reviewed 10 November 2009

I camped here, in a massive dirt site with not too much rubbish from previous occupants strewn around. My neighbours appeared to live on site (or had been travelling a little too long). The toilets were distressing for a girl: no seats and the smell of urine was so strong. That said there were constantly women there cleaning.
The location was stunning: just on the other side of the river from the Pont d'Avignon so it had its merits.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple