This review is in particular for non-French speakers unfamiliar with Avignon:
A caveat that I stayed here when the hotel was an Express by Holiday Inn, but for those unfamiliar with Avignon, this hotel is a great spot for daytrippers heading on the TGV to other Provence locations such as Aix and Marseille and those who will spend only a moderate amount of time in Avignon itself. The hotel is a long walk or very short cab ride (short enough that cab drivers may refuse you) from the TGV station. You can also take the local bus that goes from the TGV, passing by the hotel, and into Avignon Centrale, which is about a 20 minute and 1 Euro trip. I used the local bus to get to/from the TGV and Centrale train stations and into the center of Avignon. Be forewarned to not miss the last bus at night!
When the hotel was an Express, I will confess that the rooms were fairly basic and the air conditioning was not working effectively, but the hotel itself was perfectly adequate for the price. The management and front desk staff spoke fluent English and was very helpful in every capacity--from assisting on local tours to hotel stay matters. I speak some French but even without using it the staff could not have been more gracious. Even in the relatively friendly confines of southern France, I still encountered rude tourist professionals elsewhere in the city, so the hotel staff here deserve kudos for their attitude.
The morning breakfast was mostly continental type items, although I could live on the chocolate croissants and cheese and die happy. The hotel took in a lot of "wholesale" business -- during our stay it was Japanese tourists -- which created a lot of foot traffic in the lobby. However, for breakfast, the tour groups ate in a separate room.
Overall, if the general elements of the hotel remain today as it did when I stayed in late 2009 (hence, my review was deleted by TripAdvisor upon the hotel flag change), I would recommend staying here. Rather than pay 250 Euro for a mediocre hotel in the center of Avignon, stay in the outskirts and save your money for food and the expensive TGV tickets.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our 3* hotel, ideally located at the heart of the Provence, just 5mn away from the city centre, the City of the Popes and 500m from Avignon TGV station. The 100 large and comfortable rooms accommodate up to 2 adults and 2 children. All rooms have been refurbished and equipped with flat tv screens and offer a complimentary tea and coffee set! The hotel has been all renovated in 2010; free wifi access – free closed car park - ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Kyriad Avignon - Courtine Gare reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kyriad Avignon Courtine Gare Tgv Hotel Avignon
- Avignon Holiday Inn Express
- Holiday Inn Avignon