“Excellent location for the price, great stay in a newish hotel”

Kyriad Avignon - Courtine Gare
Ranked #43 of 68 Hotels in Avignon
Reviewed 12 October 2011

This review is in particular for non-French speakers unfamiliar with Avignon:

A caveat that I stayed here when the hotel was an Express by Holiday Inn, but for those unfamiliar with Avignon, this hotel is a great spot for daytrippers heading on the TGV to other Provence locations such as Aix and Marseille and those who will spend only a moderate amount of time in Avignon itself. The hotel is a long walk or very short cab ride (short enough that cab drivers may refuse you) from the TGV station. You can also take the local bus that goes from the TGV, passing by the hotel, and into Avignon Centrale, which is about a 20 minute and 1 Euro trip. I used the local bus to get to/from the TGV and Centrale train stations and into the center of Avignon. Be forewarned to not miss the last bus at night!

When the hotel was an Express, I will confess that the rooms were fairly basic and the air conditioning was not working effectively, but the hotel itself was perfectly adequate for the price. The management and front desk staff spoke fluent English and was very helpful in every capacity--from assisting on local tours to hotel stay matters. I speak some French but even without using it the staff could not have been more gracious. Even in the relatively friendly confines of southern France, I still encountered rude tourist professionals elsewhere in the city, so the hotel staff here deserve kudos for their attitude.

The morning breakfast was mostly continental type items, although I could live on the chocolate croissants and cheese and die happy. The hotel took in a lot of "wholesale" business -- during our stay it was Japanese tourists -- which created a lot of foot traffic in the lobby. However, for breakfast, the tour groups ate in a separate room.

Overall, if the general elements of the hotel remain today as it did when I stayed in late 2009 (hence, my review was deleted by TripAdvisor upon the hotel flag change), I would recommend staying here. Rather than pay 250 Euro for a mediocre hotel in the center of Avignon, stay in the outskirts and save your money for food and the expensive TGV tickets.

Room Tip: There aren't any great view rooms so just try to pick one that meets your general preferences...
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank milerunner

Reviewed 4 October 2011

We used this hotel as a base for 6 days of exploring Provence after driving down from Lyon. As it turned out this hotel turned out to be great for that. Note to Americans, driving and more especially parking in Avignon in a large vehicle (we had a Citroen SUV/Crossover) is difficult. This hotel, located on the city's outer ring road, allows easy access to the highways out of town while not being that far from town or the TGV station (which has a 3 EUR round trip shuttle to just inside the walls). The hotel itself was modern and fairly clean. Staff was varied, some were very helpful, others were less so. When we asked for suggestions of a resteraunt outside the walls (note, there aren't as many) they seemed to be at a loss. The internet in the rooms is more than a bit spotty but at least the staff was up front about it. Wasn't so bad to surf in the lobby but the total inability to upload photos on their wireless was a drag. Restaurant had above average pizza but those and other dishes (like the baked pasta dish I had) suffered from execution issues (slightly burnt pizza crusts, pasta wasn't heated all the way through, etc.) Breakfast was pricy but we found it worth it...at least after a week of just pastries. Does have a nice little terrace/patio area which is a good place to enjoy evening cocktails...if it wasn't for the loud italian bus drivers that were out there at the same time

Room Tip: Corner rooms a seemed a smidge smaller than other room and laid out to make it awkward to watch TV
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Sorry to ruin the 4 and 5 star rating party, but this hotel deserves a reality check. If you think I'm just a tough critic, check out my other reviews and you'll see that most places I review get 3 stars or above.

Background: I stayed here for 5 nights in two different rooms.

The good:

There are some nice aspects of this hotel. The rooms are nicely decorated and feel pretty modern. They have good air conditioning. Perhaps best of all, the black out blinds actually keep all of the sun out, something that most hotels struggle to accomplish. Between the black out blinds, the air conditioning, and the location of the hotel on the corner of a random street, I slept well.

The ok:

To me the location was totally fine. Yes, you are not in Avignon itself, and I'm sure you lose something because of that. However, depending on what your plan is, the hotel could be in a very good location. It is quite close to the TGV station (ten minute walk or 3 min shuttle ride) and the shuttle/bus picks up right across the street from the hotel, with a quick ten minute trip to the heart fo Avignon. If you want to explore other areas by train or be able to make an early morning train, the location is very good.

The bad:

-With modern rooms they should have found a way to put a safe in the room.

-Internet. The Kyriad's website says on the home page "Free WIFI access in all rooms and common places." Likewise, their sign on the street advertises free wifi. Thus, while some hotels don't offer wifi, the Kyriad needs to graded based on what they promise guests. In 5 nights at this hotel I had the wifi work well (normal speeds) only one time. The remaining nights it was slower than dialup internet. This was a big problem because I was planning my trip as I went, and I never would have stayed at the Kyriad if I'd known I wasn't really going to have access. Just trying to find a hotel in Nice took over an hour instead of the ten minutes it would have taken with a normal connection.

When I complained about the speeds to the front desk, they first blamed my computer. When I went to the front desk later a different person told me that the wifi doesn't really work in the rooms, but that they had a different wifi for the lobby. First, if the hotel knows the wifi doesn't work well in the rooms, they need to start falsely marketing this. Second, the wifi in the lobby still was slower than any other hotel wifi I've had in hotels across Europe. In case you think this was just a unique problem, when I was sitting in the lobby trying to access the Internet multiple other people came through saying they were unable to access the Internet. Until the Kyriad removes this from its marketing, improves the wifi, or lowers prices (since you are paying for something you aren't receiving), I recommend staying away if you are intending to rely on wifi access.

-Cleanliness. The review posted just before me mentioned cleanliness, and I have to agree with this. In two separate rooms I saw evidence of poor cleaning. The shower had a buildup of dirt on the door that you'd barely tolerate in your own shower. The bathroom sink was visibly dirty upon check in, and when I spilled something on there they failed to clean it day after day. Also sort of gross they put these shower sandals on the sink in the room. When I just put them on the floor (presumably not clean) they put them back on the sink every day.

It's kind of funny because it would be so easy for this hotel to remain a top rated hotel on tripadvisor. Really, how hard is it to clean a room? Tens of thousands of hotels manage to do this without a problem every day. Likewise, how hard is it to provide decent wifi? The only explanation for either of these problems is that the hotel chooses to pocket a little extra money instead of putting it into the hotel. Keep it up and there won't be extra money to pocket.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank EP99
nicolasinglese, Responsable commercial at Kyriad Avignon - Courtine Gare, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2011

Hello sir and thank you for your review; It is always good to know what our guests think of their stay with us.
For a start I am pleased that you liked the room decoration - Regarding the safe, please, note that some safe are available at the front desk.
About the internet acces, and the wifi connection we have been having troubles with our provider and are in the process of changing to a new provider - Beside, in order to have a good connection, we are putting 2 live boxes at each end of the building instead of 1 only so that the signal is better in the whole hotel -
Regarding the cleanliness, I would like to appologize about your experience that we deeply regret. We are sorry about the inconvinience caused.
The housekeeper and the chambermaids have all been informed of your remarks and be sure that we take a special care so that this does not happen again.
We hope that you come back some day to see by yourself our goodwilling.
Best regards,
Julia
Sales Manager

Reviewed 25 September 2011

This hotel is in an excellent location as it is right by the train station. It is quiet and right on a bus line. The hotel is out of the city centre, so to get to the city, you must take a bus. When we arrived, we went to our room and there was a wickid smell. It was as if someone had just vacated the room and it was not clean. We found hairs on the toilet seat and were not impressed with the overall cleanlieness. However the decor was modern and there was a flat screen tv. There was also wireless internet in the room. The staff was not helpful and snapped at us when we asked her to repeat something she said due to a language barrier. The breakfast was expensive and not worth it at all. I would stay here again for the convenience but only if I could pay no more than 80 euros per night. Not worth it!!!

Room Tip: ask them to clean it before you occupy it!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir,
I take good note of your critic and I first would like to thank you about the time you spent writing about your stay at 3*** Kyriad Avignon gare TGV.
Of course I deeply regret your bad experience with the cleanliness.
Cleanliness in a hotel is the most important and of course we are aiming to satisfy our guest on this point. That is why we are so sorry about what you wrote.
Please, be sure that the housekeeper and the chambermaids have been informed about your comment.
We have set up a room control everyday and we try our best so that this does not happen again even if that means to check every one of the 95 rooms, .
We hope to see you soon again so that you do not keep in mind a bad experience and see our effort;
Best Regards
Julia
Sales Manager

Reviewed 22 September 2011

We decided to take the train down to Provence for a change and decided stay at the Kyriad in Avignon overnight before picking up the hire car. The hotel was within 5 minutes walk of the station but we chose to get a taxi as it was 31 degrees when we arrived and we couldn't face dragging the cases any further. The taxi took 2 minutes but cost 10 euros, so be warned.

The hotel reception staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. The room had everything we needed and was very comfortable and clean. The breakfast was better than we expected and the hotel allowed us to leave our baggage in a secure room the next morning so that we could spend the morning in Avignon before picking up our hire car and collecting our luggage. There is a bus stop across the roundabout and you can travel into the town centre within 10 minutes and all for a euro. The hotel reception priovides a timetable on check in. All in all great value and a great location for either an over night stop or a long weekend.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank BlueMarlinstravellog
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed there in July -a family of 4 in 2 rooms -for few nights as a basis for provence tour. Location is good if you have a car: it is about 10 min drive to Avignon city center, you have free parking, and very easy (trafic prespective) to go to many provence towns. There is a commercial center with fast food and big grocery store (walking distance from the hotel). The hotel in general is spacious (lobby and dining area). Rooms are quite small and basic - but very clean and comfortable. Service is very good and reception guys are very customer oriented and willing to help with any question /help needed. Breakfast was good. So taking in account it is a 3 stars hotel and the money you pay - it is a good deal.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Nadav R
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Hotel is convenient for transportation. It is an easy walk from the TGV station, and a bus stop to the old part of Avignon is about 100 meters away. The Kyriad has a car park, useful if you rent a car at the train station for local exploring.
Room was clean and quiet. Restaurant served good food and the WiFi reception was good.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family