“Dining Excellence in Avignon”

Le Jardin de la Tour
Ranked #124 of 623 Restaurants in Avignon
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This restaurant was a little hard to find from our central location, but well worth the effort. Chef Larrue met us at the door and seated us. He asked us if we trusted him to pair his dishes of the night with his wines. We eagerly agreed. We started with the pickled garlic and olives, served with a peach sparkling wine. An interesting pairing, but good. I had the beef cheeks with foie gras and my wife had the duck confit. Chef Larrue paired these dishes with a Marquis de Sade Cotes du Rhone. It worked well with both. We were full, but decided to share a Lavendar creme brule. My wife tried glass of he Muscat de Beaumes de Venise. Chef Larue was just off a teaching expedition to Kentucky and talked me into having a shot of Blanton's single barrel Kentucky bourbon with him. We were the last people in the restaurant or I doubt this would have occurred. It was a very unforgettable evening

2  Thank Lee F

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Chef Larue may be the most entertaining chef we have ever encountered. His kitchen is an amazing experience and the food exceptionally gourmand. We spent a leisurely lunch, experiencing the most amazing cooking class we have ever taken. Chef Larue packed so much information about food quality, preparation, kitchen safety, wine, etc. we were amazed and superbly entertained. His sense of humor mixed with a deep knowledge on a range of topics was impressive. And he'll introduce you to his adorable children. We won't forget what we learned nor will we soon forget the delicacies we tasted. What an experience!

2  Thank acoulter
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Everone knows about the Bridge of Avignon, but not so many visitors know this hidden gem. It's well worth seeking out, because it's probably the best meal we had in Provence, a region whose cuisine is world famous. Even better than the food, the chef/proprietor is a friendly, welcoming soul who made us feel right at home while explaining regional specialties. The setting is great too-an old stone building, artfully decorated. I suspect this place has a great future!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Went for the bouillabaisse charter. Chef loves his work, and it shows in the quality of the food and the way it is presented (for instance, before the meal begins, the house pickled garlic and endless bowl of saffron). Not to mention the chef personally selected the restaurant's location and refurbished a manufacturing building into the chic eating space is today. Of the many meals my wife and I had in France, this was the most memorable.

Would go back again, and again, and again.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We went to this restaurant for lunch through a Road Scholar Tour. It was the magic of France. From the restaurant, settings and food all was perfect. I am a vegetarian and the chef/owner created an absolutely beautiful and delicious meal for me. He is gregarious, friendly and wants the customer to understand his relationship with food. One of the highlights of my trip to France.