“A much better than expected stay!”
Review of Hotel du Fiacre

and 1 more site!
Hotel du Fiacre
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Carpentras
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I was actually quite nervous about our stay at this hotel, since we normally stay in a little higher level of accommodation. I have been in some "traditional" hotels and often they are dingy, old and unpleasant. Not so with the Hotel du Fiacre! It is traditional, if not a little old-fashioned in the decor, but it is tasteful, clean and in great condition. The woman who first met us seemed a little put off by us and our bicycles, but once she saw that we could understand a little French, follow directions (to take off our bicycle shoes inside), and then saw us cleaned up and dressed up, she was totally charming. She asked if we needed restaurant recommendations and thanks to her, we went to Chez Serge (across the street) which was fantastic. She also made sure we understood how to use the key to return after 9 pm and she warmly sent us off to walk around the city. And when we saw the interior courtyard and I mentioned how pretty it was, she said we could have breakfast outdoors the next morning.

We had a very large room with high ceiling facing the inside courtyard, and we were given a big standing fan, so we were very comfortable sleeping. The room was quiet, very spacious and very clean and once we figured out the TV, we were all set. Even the lights by the beds were good enough to use for reading, which is not always the case. The bathroom was a bit odd sized (long and narrow), not uncommon for older hotels that have to fit in private baths, but it was in good condition, with plenty of soaps and shampoos, and a tub with shower wand. (Okay, the tile near the tub had some mold, but I've seen much much worse). And there was free wifi that worked just fine in the room!

Breakfast was delightful - we did sit outdoors and a different person took great care to set up our table with tablecloth and dishes, then gave us the chance to personalize our breakfast -- we had choices of fruits, yogurt, jams etc and she made sure we had exactly what we wanted. She was so friendly, and although she spoke very good English, she merrily played along with my French. Great coffee, a huge assortment of breads and pastries and her smiling service made it a really enjoyable start to the day.

We were very comfortable and enjoyed our stay very much -- and at a very good price.

Room Tip: Since the prices are so reasonable, I recommend choosing the largest possible room, just to give you...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank efpatters

Reviewed 2 September 2012

We were truly blown away by the Hotel du Fiacre. From the huge, well styled room with private terrace (room 3) to the excellent service. Breakfast was amazing in the cute courtyard, which also made a great location for an afternoon bottle of wine. The hotel closes up early (9pm) so make sure you get the key for the side entrance or you'll find yourself locked out. Parking is ample nearby in the free car park. We did find that restaurants closed fairly early compared to other towns so don't leave your dinner too late. Overall this was a great experience and an excellent base to explore Provence.

Room Tip: We had room 3 with the private terrace, but with the courtyard available this is not really necessar...
Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Henners_8
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I feel like this is an "authentic" French hotel. It has a romantic feel to it with antique furnishings and a big open courtyard. The location is great for exploring the town as well as for getting out into the Provence countryside. We stayed for 2 nights. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was huge! Our stay was very enjoyable. Although they advertise they speak English, we had some difficulty with language upon our arrival. However, it was nothing a few gestures and patience couldn't fix.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Location is good for exploring the town of Carpentras at night, or wider area during day. Parking is 50 meter up the street in big car park free, except on Friday when the big market take over. But just move the car on a few 100 meters. Rooms were clean and one staff member speak a bit of English. Will stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out on court yard.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2008

I had not been in France for many years, and Le Fiacre was the first hotel I stayed in during my April trip with my husband. What a wonderful welcome! My husband had stayed here while traveling on business a few years ago. The Cazeaux greeted us like long-lost relatives and did everything possible to make us comfortable. We had a pretty room with a little terrace on the second floor--very quiet. Knowing that we were eager to improve our French, Madame Cazeaux chatted with us in French often and helped us with words we didn't know. However, she speaks excellent English if you don't speak French. I must rave about the breakfast. I had intended to eat outside the hotel to save money, but after one breakfast I abandoned that plan! The best coffee I've had, marvelous very fresh bread and croissants, juice, yoghurt, and cereal if wanted--all in a beautiful dining room. Everything was the best quality. We had a wonderful 5 night stay, using it as a base for travel into nearby regions after my husband's business was completed. I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank cadbar
Reviewed 18 November 2007

Stayed together with a friend for 4 nights in August, and again an excellent experience! I have visited the hotel 5-6 times, both with friends, family and when travelling alone. All the time I have felt welcome, nice rooms and environment, it is safe (important when travelling alone), clean and very charming. I will go back there in end November, no doubt where to stay!

Carpentras is itself a nice town, well worth spending some time there. A must is lunch and/or dinner at L'Universe. We totally fall in love with the place, the food and the nice people there.

Carpentras is a great place for exploring the area around, e.g. Mount Ventoux, Vaison La Romaine, Luberon (walking around in Menerbes and L'Isle sur la Sourge is a must) - but you can enjoy a lot some relaxing days in Carpentras. Big market in the town every Friday.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Oslo
Reviewed 15 August 2007

We drove from Arles to Carpentras and thanks to the GPS -- a must! -- in our rental car we had no difficulty finding it. From the street it appears somewhat ordinary, but once you open the great wooden doors you will feel that you've stepped back in time into a medieval castle. The lobby and especially the marble staircase are spectacular! We started out in a triple the first night, felt it was slightly too small for me, my husband, our daughter and the tons of luggage we had, and were very graciously moved to a quadruple for the remaining two days. We had two double beds, a carved marble fireplace, a clean modern bathroom and great water pressure, all with a lovely view and tons of room. The only downside is no A/C, but with a large fan and long tall windows our room was very pleasant, even though the weather was quite warm. There's no lift, but our luggage was carried for us. I can't say enough about the decor and furnishings. I never did get the names of the couple who own it, but the husband has done all the restoration himself and his wife runs the hotel. He's paid a great deal of attention to detail, handpainting and/or stenciling the walls. The interior garden is filled with marble-topped tables and chairs, and large urns with gorgeous flowers. Both ladies at the front desk were extremely helpful in recommending excellent restaurants, and all were well within walking distance. Carpentras is very quiet in the evening, and the restaurants we visited generally closed on the early side, around 9:30, but along with many other guests, we sat in the garden sipping our wine until very late at night. While you're there, explore the many tiny winding streets in the area. You'll find small shops with clothing and jewelry, and an outrageous patisserie...plus more cats than I've seen anywhere else in France! Be sure to visit L'Universe for dinner. Their Salade Nicoise is the best! Carpentras turned out to be an excellent location from which to make several day trips by car to Vaucluse and the Luberon and, especially, Mont Ventoux.

Stayed: August 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carpentras
Best Western Le Comtadin
#1 of 3 in Pernes-les-Fontaines
Le Vieux Bounias
Le Vieux Bounias
#2 of 10 in Carpentras

Been to Hotel du Fiacre? Share your experiences!