and 1 more site!
Hotel du Fiacre
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Carpentras
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Of all the places we stayed on our recent trip to France, this was probably our least favorite. The pros of this place are that the staff are very welcoming and helpful, the hotel is right in the old city and there is free parking close by. Most of the rooms face onto a courtyard within the hotel so are really quiet. The cons were that the hotel is old and a bit down-at-heel. Nothing had been modernized in years. The mattress was old and thin, the towels scratchy, the shower very ancient and in need of a good scrub. The room, though spacious, with great high ceilings, had no windows to open and let air in and was a bit musty. It was not horrible, it is a fairly cheaply priced hotel so I guess you get what you pay for. I don’t think it was bad value for money, but we did not want to spend time in the room, and we just had much better accommodation everywhere else for less. We were also a little disappointed in the town of Carpentras itself. It was not as charming as many others we had passed through. A little busier, a little less well kept.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SoupDragonista

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I stayed 3 nights at the Hotel du Fiacre and enjoyed it thoroughly! It was comfortable and the location was excellent! The staff was freindly,helpful, & spoke English very well. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank tcreed
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I was actually quite nervous about our stay at this hotel, since we normally stay in a little higher level of accommodation. I have been in some "traditional" hotels and often they are dingy, old and unpleasant. Not so with the Hotel du Fiacre! It is traditional, if not a little old-fashioned in the decor, but it is tasteful, clean and in great condition. The woman who first met us seemed a little put off by us and our bicycles, but once she saw that we could understand a little French, follow directions (to take off our bicycle shoes inside), and then saw us cleaned up and dressed up, she was totally charming. She asked if we needed restaurant recommendations and thanks to her, we went to Chez Serge (across the street) which was fantastic. She also made sure we understood how to use the key to return after 9 pm and she warmly sent us off to walk around the city. And when we saw the interior courtyard and I mentioned how pretty it was, she said we could have breakfast outdoors the next morning.

We had a very large room with high ceiling facing the inside courtyard, and we were given a big standing fan, so we were very comfortable sleeping. The room was quiet, very spacious and very clean and once we figured out the TV, we were all set. Even the lights by the beds were good enough to use for reading, which is not always the case. The bathroom was a bit odd sized (long and narrow), not uncommon for older hotels that have to fit in private baths, but it was in good condition, with plenty of soaps and shampoos, and a tub with shower wand. (Okay, the tile near the tub had some mold, but I've seen much much worse). And there was free wifi that worked just fine in the room!

Breakfast was delightful - we did sit outdoors and a different person took great care to set up our table with tablecloth and dishes, then gave us the chance to personalize our breakfast -- we had choices of fruits, yogurt, jams etc and she made sure we had exactly what we wanted. She was so friendly, and although she spoke very good English, she merrily played along with my French. Great coffee, a huge assortment of breads and pastries and her smiling service made it a really enjoyable start to the day.

We were very comfortable and enjoyed our stay very much -- and at a very good price.

Room Tip: Since the prices are so reasonable, I recommend choosing the largest possible room, just to give you...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank efpatters
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We were truly blown away by the Hotel du Fiacre. From the huge, well styled room with private terrace (room 3) to the excellent service. Breakfast was amazing in the cute courtyard, which also made a great location for an afternoon bottle of wine. The hotel closes up early (9pm) so make sure you get the key for the side entrance or you'll find yourself locked out. Parking is ample nearby in the free car park. We did find that restaurants closed fairly early compared to other towns so don't leave your dinner too late. Overall this was a great experience and an excellent base to explore Provence.

Room Tip: We had room 3 with the private terrace, but with the courtyard available this is not really necessar...
Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Henners_8
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I feel like this is an "authentic" French hotel. It has a romantic feel to it with antique furnishings and a big open courtyard. The location is great for exploring the town as well as for getting out into the Provence countryside. We stayed for 2 nights. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was huge! Our stay was very enjoyable. Although they advertise they speak English, we had some difficulty with language upon our arrival. However, it was nothing a few gestures and patience couldn't fix.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Location is good for exploring the town of Carpentras at night, or wider area during day. Parking is 50 meter up the street in big car park free, except on Friday when the big market take over. But just move the car on a few 100 meters. Rooms were clean and one staff member speak a bit of English. Will stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out on court yard.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2008

I had not been in France for many years, and Le Fiacre was the first hotel I stayed in during my April trip with my husband. What a wonderful welcome! My husband had stayed here while traveling on business a few years ago. The Cazeaux greeted us like long-lost relatives and did everything possible to make us comfortable. We had a pretty room with a little terrace on the second floor--very quiet. Knowing that we were eager to improve our French, Madame Cazeaux chatted with us in French often and helped us with words we didn't know. However, she speaks excellent English if you don't speak French. I must rave about the breakfast. I had intended to eat outside the hotel to save money, but after one breakfast I abandoned that plan! The best coffee I've had, marvelous very fresh bread and croissants, juice, yoghurt, and cereal if wanted--all in a beautiful dining room. Everything was the best quality. We had a wonderful 5 night stay, using it as a base for travel into nearby regions after my husband's business was completed. I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank cadbar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carpentras
Best Western Le Comtadin
#1 of 3 in Pernes-les-Fontaines
Hotel L'Univers
Hotel L'Univers
#1 of 9 in Carpentras

Been to Hotel du Fiacre? Share your experiences!