“Great wines in a superb location”

Les Caves Saint Charles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: EXCLUSIVE PRIVED TASTING BY APPOINTMENT BOOKING ONLINE ONLY . A new place located in original Pope's cellar dating from the 13th century. Amazing wine tasting of different Chateauneuf du Pape wines by Guy Bremond, a professional head master Sommelier and Mathias Tasting ambassador . Daily tastings, phenomenal experience. Worldwide Shipping Services .
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We arrived a little late for our booking but our host Mathias made us feel so welcome. He was very knowledgeable and spoke English very well - we enjoyed our wine tasting (we love our wines but know nothing about French wines) and Mathias helped us select a case of wine to ship back home to Australia for us to enjoy in many years to come! A wonderful afternoon and experience I would highly recommend!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

It was very nice on a hot day in Provence descend into the cool cave and with Guy's help familiarize ourselves with wonderful wines. Even without a deep knowledge of wine, we shortly felt ourselves like sommeliers :). Black currant, tobacco, leather scents of wine - all that we felt, of course, with the help of a third generation winemaker Guy.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We are currently having a long holiday in Uzes, and have booked two visits via email with Guy over the past month. The first booking was memorable because I emailed him after midnight for a long-shot request the following day, and he replied immediately and positively. Both visits (with different friends) were excellent, with Guy giving us an excellent overview of both old and new style CdP wines (~8 wines in total, each from a different Domaine, in 60-75min). His understanding of world wine, and CdP specifically, is excellent, and although he let us practice a little of our French, his English was much better. His sense of humour and irreverence also appealed to us. The Cave is very atmospheric, but we had no problems visiting with children. The tastings are free, and no pressure is applied to purchase, but I expect like us, most visitors will. Although I would recommend wine enthusiasts also try hard to visit 1-2 Domaines, Les Caves Saint Charles offers a very simple way to get a great overview of the regional wines, and purchase some high quality examples.

1  Thank Andrew J
chato9passion, Propriétaire at Les Caves Saint Charles, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Thank you very much for your review , I feel extremly honoured , I will try with my asssitant mathias to keep this place in the future unique and true.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

My husband and I are from Florida and we were traveling with another couple from CA and casually walked into this winery to see if we could have a wine tasting. The representative (host) Mathias Mansis welcomed us and gave us an interesting background of this wine facility. He spoke good English and made us feel special. I highly recommend getting a reservation and ask for Mathias....

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is the perfect experience for someone with any level of wine knowledge; no matter how much you know, I guarantee you will learn something new from just one visit with Guy or Mathias. Between the music, the original stonework and gothic architecture in the cave, and the fabulous wine selection, you feel like you've stepped out of reality. The tasting we experienced was relaxed, enlightening and absolutely delicious! The wines were hand selected for our tasting and specific to our preference (white or red CdP, old school/modern CdP, etc.). I couldn't help but have a case shipped back to the US and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived at my doorstep exactly ten days after the order was placed. I have fallen in love with Chateauneuf-du-Pape and all that it has to offer and I would recommend making it a priority to stop by Les Caves Saint Charles. I can't wait to go back next year! Counting down the days!!

1  Thank Tiffany W