“couldn't wait to leave”

Royal Antibes Hotel, Residence, Beach & Spa
Ranked #11 of 86 Hotels in Antibes
Reviewed 18 July 2014

the Good: the people at the front desk were both absolutely wonderful, warm and welcoming.
The bad:
Okay, I knew that "beach views" were all booked and I was getting a "city view", but I would not call what I had a city view, unless your idea of a city view is looking at two very tanned drunks with shaved heads and huge bellies sitting on their terrace afternoon, evening and the next morning.
I thought I was coming to the Riviera of Alfred Hitchcocks's "to catch a thief", but instead I got "Rear Window, only, sadly, nobody killed my neighbors during the night. All night long I kept hoping to hear screams.
It would have taken my mind off how claustrophobic and uncomfortable the room was.

The room is not small, but it feels cheap and crowded. The entire room was overwhelmed by a really ugly photograph of a saiboat that I think maybe they pulled out of a dumpster.
The furnishings are like Ikea's idea of the french riviera: Modern but cheap.
It should have a name, like "jean claude" or something.
It's the kind of room you can't wait to get out of.

The bathrooms (there are two; the toilet gets it's own room) are not small, but again claustrophobic because they are so very badly designed. The room that is missing the toilet has a shower on one side, a tub on the other, sink and mirror at the end of what feels like a narrow closet.

The breakfast, like the room, was a huge rip off. the "continental buffet" consisted of very little:
a coffee machine, doughy bread stuff, a little bowl of fruit salad, a few other items.
The waitress was totally disengaged. She told us the price (too high) and pointed to a table.
And then she stood around hoping somebody would stare at her.
We should have skipped it. You could get a much better breakfast with the same view for one third the price within a block.

Maybe the terrace rooms overlooking the beach and sea are wonderful, but the "city view" room we had was overpriced and unpleasant.

On our way to Antibes I had been thinking that one night wouldn't be enough, that we would find ourselves wanting to stretch our visit, but after one night ,
We checked out as soon as we could, and headed to our next destination a lot sooner than we expected.

Room Tip: Stay in a better hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank coyote521
Anthony C, Responsable relations clients at Royal Antibes Hotel, Residence, Beach & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Sir or Madam,

I thank you for sharing your views about your stay at the Hotel Royal Antibes**** and for your kind words about our front Desk Staff.
On the other hand, it is in a sad way that I discovered the rest of your review. It is sad to read that you have been so much disappointed with something that you booked yourself and pretty well described on every booking platform. That kind a "bad surprise" usually comes when picking something out from a surprise box or when you let somebody else organizing your vacation. I have to say that your room description brought some mixed feelings and misunderstandings to me. How can a large room be claustrophobic at the same time? I reckon that you cannot choose your family nor your neighbors but I could not agree with you as I think that wishing for people to get killed just because they are enjoying their holidays is wrong. Even a mind as tortured as Hitchcock's would have never thought of such a tragic and terrible fate for that motive. I am sorry that the room layout did not suit you and and that you did not like the picture which is, by the way, not pulled out of a dumpster as you can obviously imagine.
But when it comes to artistic tastes, we are all different, are not we? Some people like Picasso, some others do not. Some people like the decoration of our rooms, some others do not. The good thing is that even when you do not like your room that badly, there are so many activities in the area that you are not obliged to stay in it, unless your idea of holidays on the French Riviera in Summertime is to remain inside instead of enjoying our excellent weather!

Our Suites overlooking the Mediterranean Sea are beautiful indeed, reason why they were all booked when you came. As a matter of a fact, I warmly invite you to contact our Reservations Department in advance in order to get availability as well as the best available rate dedicated to our returning Guests.

I would be delighted should I have a second chance to show you how beautiful Antibes can be!

Looking forward to changing your mind,

Best regards from us all!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I love this hotel, all the staff in the hotel are extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and lots of space. Very near the beach :)
One thing did disappoint me on my most recent trip though. I had checked out and wanted to go to the spa before my flight left on the evening. I went to the spa and the lady there was quite rude, she said I couldn't come in unless I paid as I had already checked out. I have never had this experience at a hotel before and I found it very strange, not at all in line with the great service I received elsewhere in the hotel....

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthony C, Responsable relations clients at Royal Antibes Hotel, Residence, Beach & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Madam,

I thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay among us! It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your room, the location of the Hotel as well as our Staff!
Concerning the "incident" that happened at the Spa, I know that you have privately been in contact with our General Manager but still, I would like to once again sincerely apologize rergarding that matter.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the Hotel Royal Antibes****

Kindest regards from the Royal Team!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Back on the Riviera for a party with friends, I wanted to try the experience of the hotel after having tried their spa when I came last time.
Justine, from reservations department advised me a classic room, which was indeed very correct with the services offered for one night. The front desk informed me they also offer the same hotel service for their apartments for a future stay with family :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Anthony C, Responsable relations clients at Royal Antibes Hotel, Residence, Beach & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Madam,

I sincerely thank you for sharing your Experience!
I am glad you eventually tried our Hotel after experiencing our fantastic "Royal Spa"!
It is very pleasing to read that once again, Justine's advice was wise and made you enjoy a comfortable stay!

We cannot wait to welcoming you back with your family in a Suite because we offer indeed the full hotel service in the Residence part of the Hotel - which is very convenient knowing that you are here to relax!

I hope we will see you again soon!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Let's start with the +: housekeeping staff very effective; hotel close to two nice beaches; particular attention to details in the room (good courtesy set, chocolates every day, toasty slippers...).
And now let's take a look at the negative sides:
- looking at the pictures on the websites, the hotel terrace seemed to be "over the sea", instead between the hotel and the sea there is a very busy road
- reception staff below expectations (except Louis Philippe and one of his colleagues) 2 examples: they gave us wrong directions to get to the airport shuttle, they didn't know how to get to the station with public transportation...
- miscommunication: we asked at the reception to book a table, the same day, for the "in house" restaurant, and it was apparently ok, but when at the restaurant, no reservation was there...
- it was raining: they had no umbrellas to give us
- bathroom: no hook to hold the shower head up; some water infiltrations
- the wifi crashed all the time
- no swing pool (but that was clear looking at the website)
- ridiculous breakfast! I could not believe my eyes ... for those who wanted to have breakfast - "obviousely" not for free - the offer included the following: some pastries, bread, small jams and nutella, yogurt cups,  basic cereals (max 2 kinds), a standard plate (not a tray!) of ham and cheese (not always available), half plate (not even half tray!) of tiny toast, not always available. A machine for making coffee etc, so for example the cappuccino was made ​​with milk powder ... This is a 2 star hotel with breakfast: poor, little variety and synthetic not fresh and not local products, with no added value.

That is certainly not enough to justify the price of the room, which does not include anything but overnight.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PaolaEsse
Anthony C, Responsable relations clients at Royal Antibes Hotel, Residence, Beach & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Madam,

Thank you for dedicating some time to such a very detailed review. I am glad you liked the comfort as well as the set-up of your room.
I would like to get back onto the negative sides you mentioned, just in order to clarify some points:
I am sorry you misunderstood the Hotel location as it is not written anywhere that we were actually situated right on the beach and obviously, city centers are made of roads more or less busy and July on the French Riviera is not really known as the low season...
I am afraid there has been another misunderstanding issue regarding the different directions either to the airport or to the train station. This is something we honestly do at least 5 or 6 times a day so, trust me, everybody knows how to tell our Guests those directions (we never had any complaint about that). We remember you speaking French at the Recpetion but it might have been clearer to you should we had given the information in English as it is the language you chose to review your stay. We always want to satisfy our costumers and to be helpful as much as possible (99% of the reviews concerning our Staff as reference).
On a rainy day in July - which is not that usual - there is a slight chance that all the umbrellas would be borrowed when asked for at 3p-m...
I am sorry that the security of our wi-fi bothered you. It is only "crashing" when not using it.
Although your reservation at the Restaurant was written in our Concierge Book, I reckon it is a mistake that they did not have it at the Café Royal. It could have been even more regrettable if the Café Royal were to be fully booked that night, not allowing you to have dinner there. But thankfully - as far as I know - you had dinner, with which you have been very pleased regarding your own comments that night!
There are multiple products on our buffet breakfast but it seems that they unfortunately did not satisfy you but there is no accountant in taste, is not there?
As your TripAdvisor profile suggests it, you seem to be travelling a lot, as a matter of a fact it should not surprise you that the different services are due to extra charges when the Hotel does not belong to a Resort, which is our case.
But still, I wish you a very enjoyable summer and hope to see you again in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed with my husband and 3 young children. The staff were all very helpful and were always offering assitance and made us feel very comfortable. We had a personal welcome from the manager, who helped settle in and provided us with all the assistance and information that we required. The hotel is just opposite a beach which is very safe and perfect for the children. We are all ready looking forward to returning either later in the summer or next spring!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Madam,

I am sincerely grateful for such a lovely review! On behalf of the whole Royal Team, I warmly thank you for sharing your experience among us!
I am glad you have been satisfied with our location as well as the Hotel itself!
I do hope we will have the pleasure to see you again and, believe me, the sooner will be the better!

Warmest regards from us all!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Friendly and welcoming staff. Clean and tidy rooms. Would definitely recommend to friends and family. We have two children so it was important that the facilities were good which they were. Absolutely no complaints!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for having spent some time to review your recent stay at the Hotel Royal Antibes**** I am really delighted that our facilities brought to you and your family the comfort that you were looking for!

We cannot wait to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Ok..I booked this hotel because of the pictures and reviews. However, upon my arrival nothing was as described to me. The check in process was easy but the rest of the experience was HELL.

The first room, which was a "suite' had no window (pressed against a wall) whatever, this is what it is. However, what I do not accept is when there was bug in my bed, no internet connection (crucial for my work), the AC was broken (90+F outside mind you) and the phone in my room didn't work.

After asking to go to another room because of the AC, the receptionist showed us another room then said, well I don't know if this is available for you tonight…at 9pm and no one was in the room. First, why show us and second, no one is in the room….

Finally, she allowed us to check into that room. We moved our bags - by ourselves. The new room had no wireless, no proper shower, cracks in the walls, dirty linens and when I got out of the shower, a man was practically on my balcony staring at me (from the apartment next door) I was horrified and appalled. My boyfriend came back and refused to stay there for the remainder of our stay, we made this clear and were promised to get refunded for the nights we didn't stay at the hotel. So, we booked another place last minute in hopes of enjoying the rest of our trip. The room was getting very hot again so we check the AC, broken- again around 11pm... so a service man felt it was wise to come to our room at 1:30am??? While we are asleep he wants to come into the room to "try and fix it"." No surprise, he didn't fix it and then proceeded to ask us to change rooms again AT 1:30 AM!!!! The next day, we checked out around 10am. Waiting outside for 10 min…the valet has yet to show up, we ask the hotel, where is the valet- we need our car for at tour we have booked, "he will be right out" 20 min later, 30 min later…40 min later..finally after close to an hour we got our car back. That is not anywhere close to four star service and a $20 parking charge.

The real bonus, we were promised by three different people to get our money back for the 4 addition nights we did not stay, 5 days to refund..nothing on my credit card, phone call, after phone call…nothing refunded. This is fraud and I had to file with my credit card company.

I advise that everyone steer far away from this hotel, never stay anywhere near this place (the beach also sucks unless you like feeling like a packed sardine which you you have to pay 40euro per couple to sit at for the day)

Hope this helps people avoid what I went though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Melissa A
Anthony C, Responsable relations clients at Royal Antibes Hotel, Residence, Beach & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Madam,

I usually thank people for dedicating some time to review their stay in our Property, even when their experience among us turned out not to be that enjoyable. I am terribly sorry but I just cannot thank you. The reason is quite simple and I am sure you know it: your comment is filled with lies! Funny though from someone that actually called us "liars"...
I have to make that situation clear before travellers may think that it is more comfortable to sleep in tents in Africa than in a 4 stars hotel on the French Riviera (oh! Really???)

First, I do not really understand why you call your room a "suite" knowing that you booked a Classic Room through a Travel Agency to which you fully prepaid your stay (this "detail" will be extremly important later)...
If not stuck in your sleeping bag from your wild trip to Africa, I have to say that I do not know where could that bed bug come from, as we proceed to bugs prevention 4 times a year and as you can read from other reviews, such thing never happened to us... Regarding the internet connexion, I kindly remind you that it was perfectly working with your phone but due to wrong settings, it was not working with your boyfriend's computer. After spending a lot of time trying to help you with the different settings, knowing that we have not been trained by the famous fruity brand and so not considered like "geniuses" from their bar, it ended with a sincer "thank you" from yourself as we have done everything that we could to sort things out. Of course, it was the same issue when you moved to the other room as your boyfriend's settings were still the same...

When showing you the other room at 7p.m my colleague informed you that it was taken the next day and as a matter of a fact, available for just one night. After moving things around to give the upcoming Guest another room (which is not that easy when you are fully booked) she finally "allowed you to check into that room". I kindly remind you that we proposed not only once but twice our assistance (first time from the receptionist and then from the valet himself). When Guests say "NO" twice, we just do not insist nor force people to leave their bags (some are afraid to be obliged to give a tip whereas it is actually included in the rate in France).

An other lie comes when writing that there was someone "practically on your balcony" knowing that you were on the fifth floor with no balcony next door and after double-checking, we noticed that the apartments from the building upfront were not occupied - apartments that do not belong to the Hotel anyway...
Unless you make phone calls while you are asleep, I kindly remind you that the night auditor came straight after you called him (with a phone that was not supposed to be working, according to your honest feedback). I reckon the Technical Department is not available at night and for the comfort of our dear Guests, the night auditor tried to do his best to fix the AC - where in other places we might have told you that nothing could be done in a more or less polite way. In a constant desire of bringing wellness to our Guests, he offered you the option of changing room, but it was just an option, not an obligation...

I have to admit that we gently smiled when reading that you had to wait 40 minutes for your car when checking-out at 10a.m when it was not that busy. But even during the busiest times, you would barely have to wait for such a long length as we do not like to make people wait. So be sure that either the Concierge or myself or even the General Manager (it has already happened) are willing to give a hand to the valet rather than letting our Guests wait too long. I find it strange that you also complained about the 20euros charge for the car park because you probably forgot that it has been kindly offered to you by the Front Desk Manager upon check-out along with the city taxes as you were not satisfied. I will not even dare mentioning the bottle of rosé we sent up to your room in order to "excuse us" for your boyfriend's wrong settings that would not allow him to get connected...

On the other hand, there is a strange thing you remember: we promised we would refund you! How could we possibly refund something that you did not pay to us?? As mentioned earlier, you fully prepaid your stay - with a non-refundable policy by the way - to a Travel Agency. We indeed told you to contact them, which you probably did because you wrote "phone call after phone call..." Apparently not to us as we are not aware of those phone calls. With someone available at the Recpetion 24/7, you will understand that a phone call is hard to miss... But if the Agency you booked your stay through still did not refund your money, it is maybe because they are simply applying the non-refundable conditions that your rate was eligible to.

I am also sorry that you had to discover on site that the French Riviera was a busy place in summer, so are its beaches. But I am pretty sure that - while enjoying the rest of your stay in some other place - you figured out that the rates as well as the occupancy were the same anywhere else.

I also usually wish to see our Guests again, even the ones that would leave bad comments on TripAdvisor but I will just wish you some wonderful moments anywhere in the world.

Regards,