“Good location for day-tripping the Nice area by car”

Hotel Baie des Anges
Hotel Baie des Anges
Ranked #13 of 86 Hotels in Antibes
“Good location for day-tripping the Nice area by car”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We have booked this hotel on Booking.com, for 10 nights stay. The hotel description indicated that it was a newly renovated property, with reasonable rates. We booked a Standard Double room, with the following confirmed description: "Located in an annex, this South facing room offers flat screen TV, free WiFi and private bathroom." The property and room pictures posted on the web site looked very nice.

The surprise came upon our check-in. We were given a rather dated efficiency unit, with a pullout sofa bed, in the un-renovated building of the "annex". By the way, there was also a closed up kitchen wall-unit, which, we were told, we could use for an additional $8 Euros per day. We protested, showing our confirmation, which said nothing of the sort of unit they gave us. Unfortunately, they didn't accept our complaints and stood firm by their position. We ended up paying an extra $29 Euros per night for a unit in the newly renovated building.

Overall, the hotel is well located as a hub for touring the area by car. It's about 10 minutes drive from the center of Antibes. The property has nice grounds and 3 pools with a beautiful view of the bay of Nice and surrounding mountain ranges. Parking is plenty and free. Their buffet breakfast at $18 Euros per person is, in our opinion, overpriced.

Regrettably, the attitude off the hotel staff re-confirmed the generally unfavorable reputation of French "hospitality", which is anything but. We have experienced similar, uncaring, almost arrogant attitudes at many other places during our trip. Somehow they don't seem to realize that tourism, hospitality and customer service is what gives them the business and their jobs. Pity.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alex R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Essex
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Sorry everyone but I need to post this review so that I can offload all my winges, so for those who don't have the time or inclination I will do a quick summary. We stayed in late September 2013 for 6 nights. Despite its 4 star rating I felt this was much more like a 3 star hotel. The public areas are very tasteful and the rooms have all been recently refurbished but in my view not to a very high standard, but they were a good size, bright and clean enough and with brand new comfy beds and fresh linen. The bathrooms are quite small. Most members of staff were helpful and courteous but not all are particularly confident speaking in English (but why do we expect they should?)

This hotel is a good base for the area, but it is tucked out of the way. You can walk to the beach (pebbles) in about 10 minutes or drive to the lovely town of Antibes in about 10 mins where there are sandy beaches. For those of you worried about the two theme parks nearby (Aquasplash and Marineland) you need to know that they are visible in the distance and, when operating, can be heard a little bit from the hotel (the pools and outside eating area are on the same side, and some hotel balconies overlook that way, those that don't overlook the car park). However, the night we arrived was the last night the parks were operating as it was the end of the season, so we had no problem with them.

I would suggest you need to have a car (the hotel has on site parking).

Sorry, that was quite a long summary. Now if you want the detail .....
We arrived after 8pm following a very long, tiring 10 hour drive. There was only one member of staff on reception and I'm sorry to say that my very basic French wasn't up to the mark, but the gentleman did speak very good English. There was a query about our date of departure, but that was due to the way we had made our booking and we were asked, politely, if we could resolve it the next day when there would be more reception staff and this was sorted out very satisfactorily. We were given our key cards and shown to the Building where our room was located. At the entrance we were told to find the elevators (located in the middle of the building) and make our way to our room. This was not a very warm welcome as the corridor was dark and appeared to be unlit, however, as we started walking motion sensor lights came on. When we made it to our room, 2320, I was extremely disappointed as it was not as nice as I'd expected and the bathroom was small, the bath had a footprint in it and the sink had a bad crack. After several trips to the car to get our bags as we weren't offered any help or even a trolley we switched on the aircon and discovered this didn't work either. It was now time for a very large drink. On our way to the bar we stopped at reception to report the problems with the room and were told that the aircon would be sorted by 10pm and they would let housekeeping know about the bathroom. The bar staff were always helpful and pleasant and we enjoyed a bottle of red wine on the terrace with the most amazing view of the moon reflecting on the sea (magical). (This was the only time we were aware of the theme parks and it wasn't too bad.) Returned to the room at 10.30 only to discover that nothing had been done, so contacted reception and spoke to another gentlemen who was doing the night shift - sadly we didn't see him again and didn't get his name as he was excellent and so helpful and knew what good service should be - he immediately said he would change our room which he showed to us first to make sure we were happy with it. It was a room for the less able, but since it had a huge wet room, I was more than happy to move to it. I have to say the bed was superb and I slept extremely well during my stay.

Breakfast is buffet style and there is a good selection, but if you arrive late the choices may be limited as they don't replenish as much as they might. Also if you choose a table not laid you may have to do a bit of self service. Breakfast was included in our package as I don't think I would have paid the €18.

Hairdryer in bathroom packed up after 30 seconds the first time I used it - just as well as I'm pretty sure it was dangerous, but both room service and reception provided a hand held dryer on request and with minimal fuss.

We had to ask on more than one occasion for room service to replace the tea bags and milk and cups (paper ones) in our room. Water was provided on the first night free of charge but had to be paid for after that. No problem with that, but it would have been nice to know with a note in the room. In fact there was very little information about the hotel, spa, or local area in the room. There was information about the local area available in reception and Phillipe was very helpful providing a local map and pointing out areas of interest.

We had to have our key cards re-programmed twice during our stay.

I was looking forward to using the spa and booking a treatment, but the lovely lady Roberta from reception was only able to provide a basic look around and to let us know that you need to rent towels, gowns and flip flops. Around the pool I did feel that as a hotel guest I was a second class citizen next to the spa guests who all had gowns, flip flops and bags provided (I think).

We had one evening meal at the hotel which was really lovely and our waiter was very helpful and friendly.

This could be such a lovely hotel and I was so disappointed that it just didn't meet my expectations despite my research. I loved the Antibes/South of France area and would definitely return but probably not to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Madeleine13
Reviewed 30 July 2013

3 great pools. Salt water, but not so bad.
Great Spa Pool. Kids enjoyed it, but need to be careful to be clear on the rules for kids.
Beautiful family room, great balcony, great view.
A few teething problems as they just re-opened 3 days before we arrived
Fantastic Staff. The Staff were excellent, courteous and helpful.
Beautiful restaurant terrace and Bar.
Restaurant was a bit expensive, food good, but same each day, and they could have had more of a snack menu to offer also, particularly as only offering 3 course kids menu ?????? My kids don't want 3 courses.
A little bit far from the old city, so the hotel should organise a cost effective shuttle service.
I would go back. I will go back.
Advice - Careful that the Spa rules don't spoil your reputation for being friendly and welcoming to tourists, families and visitors who are not just interested in the Spa.

Room Tip: Family Room at the front with pool view is the best family room we have ever stayed in. Has everyth...