“Worst experience in a restaurant ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Spago - CLOSED

Spago
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating
London, United Kingdom
“Worst experience in a restaurant ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

We arrived at 9pm and were shown our table which was very nice on the terrace with a view of the sea. We gave our order at 915pm 2 starters and 2 main courses. Our drinks arrived at 930pm. At 10pm we asked where the food was as we were getting very hungry. The waiter shrugged and unapologetically said the kitchen is very busy tonight. At 1030pm and at 11pm we were given the same answer and each time we asked he seemed to get more aggressive with us. There were a few tables around us that were also without food for 2 hours. At 1115pm our main courses arrived and when we mentioned they had forgotten the starters our waiter again shrugged and said sorry but in a very curt and insincere way then walked off in a hurry. Another waiter then took over our table and told us he would not charge us for the starters (wow thanks!) and offer us a couple if shots on the house. The food was rushed, not tasty and looked like it had been taken from another tables order (messy, not full portions) but we were so hungry at that point we ate it. The escalope was chewy and the spaghetti vongole was bland. When we had finished our new waiter came back and after taking our dishes away asked if we would like desert. We asked if it would take another 2 hours and he shouted at us and said if you don't like it just leave. This aggressive rudness shocked us both and after a minute I decided to follow his orders and leave. I walked towards the exit and the same waiter started shouting at me like a rabid dog asking me where I was going. I replied calmly that he had asked me to leave so I was leaving. He the ran to block my path and grabbed my arm. Feeling I was now under physical attack I pushed him off me and as I was doing that my phone flew out of my hand. The waiter ran off shouting and screaming that I had attacked him and he was calling the police even though he had instigated it and nobody was hurt at all. Just after I had found my phone on the outside pavement the police arrived. They were very understanding as I calmy explained the whole story and the waiter continued to shout at everyone. The whole time he had been waiving the bill in my face and finally I told him the reason I hadn't paid it was because it wasnt our bill ! They had forgot to take off our 2 starters, the police shook their heads in disbelief. I paid for the 2 mains and we left. The funniest thing was the waiter saying that we were not welcome back ! I wouldn't go back there if were the last restaurant on earth!!!!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank ray f

St-Paul-de-Vence, France
“2 thumbs up”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

The food was absolutely delicious. The risotto was bursting with flavour! The service was efficient and very friendly. The view of the sea is magnificent from the terrasse and the interior is decorated with a lot of class. Will definitely go back.

• Visited July 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
“missed opportunity!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

probably one of the best locations on the cap d'antibes, lovely view out to sea. ruined by a money-grabbing attitude and very average food. Be careful with the wine list,its very cunningly laid out, we thought we were buying a bottle of Sancerre for 29 euros, turns out that was for half a bottle and we actually paid 50 euros for a full bottle that you could buy in a supermarket in UK for less than a fiver! Food was not great for the price, the waiter tried hard to sell us a lobster (fresh in he said) with tagliatelle for 42 euros. It may or may not have been fresh, but it was definitely overcooked and tough (and very small). Overall, poor quality experience and poor value for money. Shame really, it could be fantastic.

• Visited June 2013
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Great Situation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

This new luxury restaurant has a great outlook across Salis Beach toward Nice, The Alpes and Cap Ferrat.
The furnishings are plush with large armchairs quality fittings.
The cuisine is Italian with French influences and includes many authentic pasta dishes.
The portions are so large many diners will be satisfied with one course, which is a pity because all of the courses offer interesting and fulfilling dishes.
It is possible to get "un pour deux" and share a starter but this only works if two diners have selected the same dish.
Don't be put off by these details however the food is very good indeed and well worth the fairly high prices averaging €70 per head for two courses, wine and coffee.

• Visited February 2013
“Too expensive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

If you have not got it do not put it on the menu!!!! The wine very over priced. The glass of wine was undrinkable.Nice view.