“A Nice Hotel but confused on the Star Rating”

Hotel Carlton Beaulieu
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We recently spent a week at the Carlton. Firstly I am confused as to the star rating of 4*. The hotel in my opinion is a very good 2* boardering a 3* rating.
The Hotel is a good bed and breakfast as it does not have a restaurant for dinner or lunch, although it does offer a small selection of snacks in peak season.
The rooms are spacious although I would say dated. The walls are very thin and to say you can hear everyting is an understatement. The hotel is located next to a sports school so if you go in school term time then its hard to relax around the pool
On the plus side the staff are very nice and the pool is clean and very pleasant. Breakfast is a buffet continenal which has a good selection.
In conclusion I would view this hotel more as a bed and breakfast, which leads to the point for a few euros extra you can go to the Hotel Riveria which is in my opinion a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor looks better
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 September 2013

It is amazing how the people at the front desk of an organization can make or break a business. So it was with this hotel where the reception staff were just fantastic. Our stay was for four nights and we used it as a base to visit many resorts along the Cote d'Azur. The swimming pool is a feature we appreciated after a hot day. The hotel is quiet yet located close to the railway station. While the hotel did not serve evening meals there are lots of restaurants handy and the staff give good advice in recommending choices. Internet connection was spasmodic however this was not an uncommon problem elsewhere in France and Italy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This hotel is set in a very pleasant location with garden and a nice pool and minutes walk from the beach and 7 minutes walk from the main street. The rooms are large and comfortable and if you are looking for a good value hotel in a very pleasant location in the area I find this hotel a very good find. It is an older hotel but that is part of its charm. We stayed there several years ago and was happy indeed to return for a longer stay, relax and enjoy the area and use the hotel as a very pleasant base. Parking is available on the street and the hotel also has parking available. The staff is very helpful. Beaulieu sur mer is a quieter spot on the Riviera and has some nice restaurants and good beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marilyn C
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I thought that Hotel Carlton would be great when I first pulled up. It was a wonderful location and looks great from the outside. The pool area is very inviting as well. The staff when I checked-in were very pleasant as well.

Entering the hallways and rooms were a complete different story to the exterior. They are very cramped, dingy and are obviously ageing (not in a good rustic or antique way). The bed itself was ageing, not at all what I expect from a 4-star hotel. The large bathroom had the tiniest shower area but it was acceptable.

My biggest complaint with this hotel was the noise. It was easy to hear people in other rooms and the absolute worst was that my room was close to the elevator. Any time the elevator moved (all day/night) there were loud noises. Being a light sleeper this kept me up all night. When I asked to switch rooms because of this I was simply told no, that all the rooms in that part of the building have the same problem. What annoyed me was that I had to bring in a suitcase from my car one night after working all day, and I was told very rudely by the desk clerk to be quiet because rolling my suitcase was making too much noise. I then went and had a sleepless night because of the noise from the elevator.

I was in the area for work so the free wifi that was advertised was very much needed. Unfortunately, the majority of the time it did not work. I was told that only 10 residents could be on it at one time. When it did work (rare) there was an advertising video that you were forced to watch for 30 seconds. Once this ad was over I could connect to very slow internet. However this would drop after roughly 4 minutes and I was forced to try and connect again and play the 30 second advert again. This would "work" with Android phones and Laptops. It would not work with any Apple mobiles like an iPhone or an iPad. So if you are expecting to use wifi while there I wouldn't count on it.

All of my complaints were not respected when I brought them up. I was not even offered an apology.

So if you expect a comfortable quiet night sleep, or expect to use the internet while there then I would not select this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JoshuaHK
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here three ears running which is obviously a good sign. It's clean with friendly helpful staff with a nice pool if you don't fancy the beach (the nearest is a 2 min walk). Only tip would be get a sea view room as two years running we had sea view and it was a larger slightly lighter room with a balcony. This time none were available so we had a smaller one on other side and although fine it's not quite as cheerful.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 17 June 2013

A wedding in Monaco, a lunch in Eze, another lunch in Fayence and so on. A quiet location, very comfortable room, pleasant staff and car parking. Ideal for walks to St Jean Cap Ferrat. No complaints at all other than wifi was bit hit & miss. We will return to the Carlton for our future stays on the Cote D' Azur

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room with pool or sea view
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John H
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We chose this location because of the proximity to Nice and Cap Ferrat. The hotel should definitely be a 3 star rating not 4. The main problem was the Wifi connection which disconnected every few minutes and then it could often take 20 minutes to reconnect. The Management explanation was saturation of mobile phone usage in the area. The rooms were spacious but there were no toiletries available in the bathroom. I had to ask every morning for a shower cap and tissues. The breakfast was minimal and the kitchen was unable to make a cappuccino for me. There was no other food available at any other time during the day. The staff were helpful but unable to lift the level of service to a 4 star standard. We would not stay here again as the facilities and level of service is not as expected
Melbourne Australia

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu-sur-Mer
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & Spa
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & S...
#1 of 14 in Beaulieu-sur-Mer
#5 of 14 in Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Inter Hotel Frisia
Inter Hotel Frisia
#3 of 14 in Beaulieu-sur-Mer

Been to Hotel Carlton Beaulieu? Share your experiences!