“Worst Hotel ever”

Hotel Carlton Beaulieu
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Reviewed 18 April 2014

WIFI does not work in bedrooms, bathroom mould round windows, male receptionist rude,arrogant and unhelpful, cold shower - excuse was everyone had returned from the tennis - same following morning at 8am and if I recall the tennis had not even commenced! I asked to change rooms - told it would be 30 euros extra per night said yes please told following morning not possible - fully booked and it was not fully booked - asked for the air conditioning to be switched on as it was rather humid - not possible as some clients still feeling the cold and it was not possible to have both on! Noisy can hear everything from upstairs and next door rooms and the kitchen, breakfast cheap at 11 euros but the reason is 11 euros is there is little and the day before leftovers. If you are thinking of booking this hotel a campsite with a tent would have more comfort - I even contemplated sleeping in a sun lounger as the pads on it more comfortable than the beds! Don't waste your money! Faulty Towers in Beaulieu sur Mer.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jacqui D

Reviewed 12 January 2014

My daughter and I really liked the location, staff and exterior of Hotel Carlton and the room was as described by many other reviewers: good size, clean but in need of a renovation.
Biggest issue - there is no wifi access anywhere except the lobby which has plenty of seating but is chilly in January!
We greatly enjoyed café au lait and hot chocolate each morning in the sitting rooms where the bar is also quite nice and well stocked.
I agree that a 4 star rating is not appropriate for Hotel Carlton unless you just consider the staff!

Room Tip: The higher floors will allow windows to be opened safely. We were on the lowest floor and were advi...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kyfarmgirl57
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The hotel is set in a nice location not far from the beach or town center, the rooms are a good size and very clean, it is not modern but very "french".....the pool is a nice addition and again very clean.
I would personally skip breakfast here and have it in town, we found a lovely patisserie in town which served gorgeous cakes and cappuccino....
Also watch this area as I had my purse stolen from my handbag somewhere between the train station and Monaco. The guard at the station said this is a very bad area for pick pockets so it might have been nice if someone in the hotel had mentioned this....
The train system is very easy to use so I would recommend this as taxis here are very expensive....€60 from Nice to Beaulieu....

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rita G
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We recently spent a week at the Carlton. Firstly I am confused as to the star rating of 4*. The hotel in my opinion is a very good 2* boardering a 3* rating.
The Hotel is a good bed and breakfast as it does not have a restaurant for dinner or lunch, although it does offer a small selection of snacks in peak season.
The rooms are spacious although I would say dated. The walls are very thin and to say you can hear everyting is an understatement. The hotel is located next to a sports school so if you go in school term time then its hard to relax around the pool
On the plus side the staff are very nice and the pool is clean and very pleasant. Breakfast is a buffet continenal which has a good selection.
In conclusion I would view this hotel more as a bed and breakfast, which leads to the point for a few euros extra you can go to the Hotel Riveria which is in my opinion a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor looks better
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

It is amazing how the people at the front desk of an organization can make or break a business. So it was with this hotel where the reception staff were just fantastic. Our stay was for four nights and we used it as a base to visit many resorts along the Cote d'Azur. The swimming pool is a feature we appreciated after a hot day. The hotel is quiet yet located close to the railway station. While the hotel did not serve evening meals there are lots of restaurants handy and the staff give good advice in recommending choices. Internet connection was spasmodic however this was not an uncommon problem elsewhere in France and Italy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This hotel is set in a very pleasant location with garden and a nice pool and minutes walk from the beach and 7 minutes walk from the main street. The rooms are large and comfortable and if you are looking for a good value hotel in a very pleasant location in the area I find this hotel a very good find. It is an older hotel but that is part of its charm. We stayed there several years ago and was happy indeed to return for a longer stay, relax and enjoy the area and use the hotel as a very pleasant base. Parking is available on the street and the hotel also has parking available. The staff is very helpful. Beaulieu sur mer is a quieter spot on the Riviera and has some nice restaurants and good beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marilyn C
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I thought that Hotel Carlton would be great when I first pulled up. It was a wonderful location and looks great from the outside. The pool area is very inviting as well. The staff when I checked-in were very pleasant as well.

Entering the hallways and rooms were a complete different story to the exterior. They are very cramped, dingy and are obviously ageing (not in a good rustic or antique way). The bed itself was ageing, not at all what I expect from a 4-star hotel. The large bathroom had the tiniest shower area but it was acceptable.

My biggest complaint with this hotel was the noise. It was easy to hear people in other rooms and the absolute worst was that my room was close to the elevator. Any time the elevator moved (all day/night) there were loud noises. Being a light sleeper this kept me up all night. When I asked to switch rooms because of this I was simply told no, that all the rooms in that part of the building have the same problem. What annoyed me was that I had to bring in a suitcase from my car one night after working all day, and I was told very rudely by the desk clerk to be quiet because rolling my suitcase was making too much noise. I then went and had a sleepless night because of the noise from the elevator.

I was in the area for work so the free wifi that was advertised was very much needed. Unfortunately, the majority of the time it did not work. I was told that only 10 residents could be on it at one time. When it did work (rare) there was an advertising video that you were forced to watch for 30 seconds. Once this ad was over I could connect to very slow internet. However this would drop after roughly 4 minutes and I was forced to try and connect again and play the 30 second advert again. This would "work" with Android phones and Laptops. It would not work with any Apple mobiles like an iPhone or an iPad. So if you are expecting to use wifi while there I wouldn't count on it.

All of my complaints were not respected when I brought them up. I was not even offered an apology.

So if you expect a comfortable quiet night sleep, or expect to use the internet while there then I would not select this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JoshuaHK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu-sur-Mer
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & Spa
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & S...
#1 of 14 in Beaulieu-sur-Mer
#3 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Welcome Hotel
Welcome Hotel
#1 of 12 in Villefranche-sur-Mer

Been to Hotel Carlton Beaulieu? Share your experiences!