“Great place for a late night platter”
Review of le Comptoir Des Vins - CLOSED

le Comptoir Des Vins
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is a great place for a meat and cheese platter if you've already eaten lunchtime and want something to eat in the evening without going for the full three courses. They do a huge plate of charcuteri (cold meats) with a selection of cheese's and a healthy slice of pate for a very reasonable price. The perfect accompaniment to a nice glass of red after a long day on the Cote d'Azure. Prices are very reasonable.

1  Thank t1grm

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had a lovely evening in this small and friendly restaurant. The walls are lined with bottles of wine, so you browse the real thing rather than a wine list and can choose to drink in or to take away. Or both!

All the other customers were French, which reflects the quality of the cuisine but to add to that, the service was both friendly and efficient.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

While on a recent trip to Cannes to visit an elderly Aunt we visited this restaurant. We had looked around and decided on this one as it looked very French. As it turned out it specialises in food from the Lyon district.

The wine is kept in what looks like a cellar and you choose your bottle which start around E14 and then they add E10 corkage on top (E20 on champagne). I believe you can buy wine by the glass from the bar.

We didn't have starters but from what we saw they looked tasty.

The main course food was excellent, my partner and I had duck which was cooked to perfection and my Aunt and brother had Lamb Shank which they thought was a little over cooked. Typical French style the meat was served with just mashed potato or mash potato with cheese on the top. The food was very enjoyable.

We had desert which is listed on black boards, French on one side, English on the other. The desert was very good aswell.

However when we wanted to leave that is when we were let down. I asked the waitress for the bill and after 10 minutes nothing came. I asked the proprietor for the bill and after 5 minutes still nothing came. My Aunt and brother stood up and walked out the door, the bill came pretty quickly then.

That is the only thing I could fault them on but when I ask for the bill I am ready to leave.

The most important thing for any business is collect the money and if someone wants to pay you, TAKE IT, QUICKLY!

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I revisited this restaurant after several years. It retains its charm and excellent cuisine. The proprietor and his staff are attentive and as the name would suggest it has an excellent an extensive wine stock. I shall go back when next in Cannes. It is equally goo for couplesand groups visiting on business or on vacation

Reviewed 8 June 2013

cannes film festival, may 2013. we stumbled upon this restaurant as we could not get a table at another restaurant, la cave, nearby.

we got a table very quickly even though the place was packed with diners.

we were initially served by the owner. all went well as he spoke good english.

the filet mignon steaks arrived and they were not as tender as the owner had promised.

my order of the lamb shank was nice but the meat was dry and i suspect it to be over-cooked and became caramelized. - is this how it is supposed to be done? i suspect not as i saw 2 different diners having what i had and their lamb shank didn't look as dark or caramelized as my serving. i am sharing a picture of my serving of the lamb shank.

the lamb shank's very dark gravy went well with the baguette provided.

the wine, also seen in the picture was average.

after our main course. we tried to order dessert but the lady serving us did not speak any english and did not and could not answer our questions about the desserts. she did not attempt to get help from anyone else from the restaurant and kept gaving us an upset look and she was quite loud. it is not our fault you cannot understand us/ our English.

an unlikely re-visit.