“Perfect location but quite threadbare rooms”
Review of Hotel Bellevue

Hotel Bellevue
Ranked #80 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The hotel is perfectly located. Just two minutes walking along the path and you are in the center. The staff were polite and friendly but the hotel needs renovation.
To get to your room, you should not go up, but to go down the stairs (in any of the rooms). This is the first time in our practice.
From our window, we did not have any view (see photo). Probably a lot earlier guests smoked in the rooms and it is a very strong odor. Blankets and pillows look unpleasant.
We chose this hotel because of the good price but would go again just in case of repair. Down stairs layout and no view from the window is not possible to change but renewal of rooms must be made. Be careful if you expect to have a view from the window.

Room Tip: To get to your room, you should not go up, but to go down the stairs (in any of the rooms).
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here at the beginning of the week to attend the Cannes Lions festival. Brilliantly the hotel is 10 mins walk from the Palais so really convenient for anyone looking to be central.
I had a room on the lower floor which was a bit noisy at times but bearable. The room was a decent size and had a single and double bed, there was also air-con and a pretty decent shower as well as a nice little balcony.
The room definitely could do with a bit of attention, I had no ceiling light for the course of the stay but I wasn't in the room that much so not too much of a hassle. Getting ready wasn't so easy as there was no vanity table and the mirror wasn't exactly close to the plug point, I did find one close to the mirror on the back of the bathroom door but when unplugging my straighteners from there the plug point came out exposing the wires, safe to say I didn't use it again.
The staff were really helpful and the room was kept clean, my only criticism was I was told at night there would be someone on duty but the door would be locked and they may not be there to let me in, I was given a code to open the door but on my second day I forgot to take this out and when I arrived back at 7pm to change the door was locked and no one was around. Obviously this is my mistake for not having the code but 7pm seems awful early for there to be no one on duty.
Bottom line it's a decent hotel for a few days stay, very basic but the location makes up for the lack of glamour. I would advise to always have the code if you're heading out at any time.

Room Tip: Make sure you keep the access code with you at all times.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here during the Cannes Film Festival in May this year and it was full of annoyances. There was no electricity for any overhead lighting in our room for the entire 5 days. We worked off one table lamp, i.e. no lighting at all in the bathroom or toilet. A member of staff said that apparently this always happens when they are full.

If you book during the festival they will take 100% of the charges upfront. This was not apparent on the website at the time. They've subsequently changed this I believe. When I queried why the whole amount had been taken from my credit card in February, when the confirmation email sent to me stated that the balance was due on arrival, the manager promised to refund me, as he carried on doing on numerous occasions, right up to 2 weeks before our arrival. Nothing happened and indeed we never did get the refund.

On our first morning we had to leave the hotel early and although the details state breakfast is served from 8am the guy on duty shrugged and said, no, not til 8.30am. As a result, we left without breakfast, which we'd already paid for. The manager, Alessandro, said, of course he'd refund us for the missed breakfast, but conveniently the card machine wasn't working each day and they couldn't give cash... It's now a month since our return and though I've reminded them I'd really like my refund I'm being ignored. What a surprise.

This place is in poor condition and the only reason to stay here is the convenience of being a short distance from the Palais. If that is not a concern for you steer well clear. The people running it are conmen. You'll also need earplugs if you're on the ground floor as the front door crashing open and closed in the night will keep you awake.

I recognise that all prices in the area go up massively during the festival, but you really can do a lot better than this.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edittravel
Alessandro07, Propriétaire at Hotel Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Edittravel

Your comment it's the perfect proof of the bad side of Tripadvisor (should say dark side speaking about Film Festival). ;)

"I didn't have my refund" "I don't even care if I'm right or wrong" "the hotel is horrible" That's it
All the rest is a kind of mayonaise you get on just to furnish your arguments.

Anyway, the breakfast starts at 8h00, you left before what can we do? Did you advise the day before? No you didn't.

Remember that you booked a double, we gave you a triple (confort room) for the same price (Yes you didn't ralise that you've been upgraded, because you already came with bad feeling due to your reservation policy) We know you know, of course you don't write that you made call us even by your banker, in matter of fact even he gave us reason for the 100% charge.

You don't write that we changed you the room the day after because of the noise. Still a confort room, still upgraded.

The reason we don't had electricity was because of the urgent works where execute on the building, we apologize but just the light bulb was gone, 2days all the rest worked ) and we wonder who between me and my wife could have tell you that it'salways happen when we are full (speaking about staff) ( A little lie always to decorate your comment)

Thank you anyway for writing that we are close to the Festival Palace at least something good we have and for the price, yes it's expensive, yes a lot, but we are probably the only 2 stars in Cannes that don't make a minimum stay policy...........think about it.

SIncerely

Alessandro

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I Gerry Mc Loughlin stayed at Bellevue Hotel for 5 Nights between 21st and 26th February 2014. I was extremely happy with my stay there. The owner Alexander was very nice. I would highly recomend anybody traveling to Cannes to stay there. If I or my wife or family go to Cannes again we will certainly stay there. Full praise to the lady who served breakfast. Very conveniant to Centre of Cannes.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed there for 3 nights with a Groupon (half priced stay) and that was fine. Great welcome, you can park a front the hotel to unload your luggage's and they will help you. But then you have to park in the street (free parking though). I found a place in the street near by very easily. I stayed in room 22, a family bedroom, double bed and single bed. Double bed mattress was comfortable. The room was rather small but because I was on my own it didn't matter. The bathroom was also small, the shower worked very well. The room had a balcony with a table and two chairs. The room was noisy: noise from the outside and from inside. The walls are thin. Ear plugs are a great help. During my stay it was really hot, the A/C was not very efficient but it was worse without. The room is located downstairs, where is the patio where the breakfast is served. Breakfast was really good, fresh bread and fresh croissants from the oven, freshly squeezed orange juice with is not common but the jam was dreadful. If you wish you can have cornflakes, ham and cheese, honey and nutella. The room is therefore next the tiny kitchen where an employee will serve you breakfast, you can hear people ordering their morning beverage but there was not many people taking the breakfast, so that was fine. The hotel is 5 minutes walk from the harbour, restaurants etc..., really well located. There was a sewage smell during my stay they were working on. They did some repairs in room 20 or 21, they told me they didn't know where the smell came from. Sometimes it was strong so quite unpleasant. Overall positive but I would not have liked to pay the full price. I think is expensive for what it is but I guess it's Cannes.

Room Tip: Rooms 21 and 22 are located by the kitchen and the breakfast room. Not sure of the number of the oth...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

For the price you pay for this hotel there really aren't any complainants. It is in a brilliant location just a short walk away from all the restaurants and shops. It really surprised me how modern the bathrooms were and the staff are all very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My partner and I used this Hotel for 3 nights in June 2013
The location was as others have said very convenient to the marina and prom in cannes
The room oitself appeared to have the basics expected of a 3 star in France (shower, toilet, aircon, no tea and coffee facilities and no hairdrier)
We were promised a balcony and satelliete TV - the balcony was the size of a floor mat and was overgrown with plants, the TV worked and showed french channels only which wasn't a problem as we weren't there for TV
The main problems were that the Hotel was located between a hospital, the train station and a police station so it was noisy at night
Breakfast was served literrally outside our bedroom door so it was noisy in the morning
The room smelled horribly (we located the smell to a throw over the bed and asked for this to be changed however the room does not get serviced daily and it was not changed until two days into our stay - in the meantime we had to throw the throw on the balcony)
The bathroom toliet had a whole in the wall (covered badly by a toliet brush set in front of it)
The light in the room did not work (although we stole a light bulb from above the bed and changed it)
The room wasn't our main problem unfortunately on arrival the heating system for the water had broken down (although we were not told) When we discovered we had no hot water we went to see the Management and were initially told the problem was across the whole hotel and it would be resolved - on the second evening of our stay the hotel manager came to our door and explained the water would not be fixed until the third day - he refunded us half of our money - on the third day we had no water at all!

I have stayed in Cannes in 3 star hotels previously and I wouldn't use this hotel again

Room Tip: Don't choose a room on the lower floor as breakfast is served outside your door
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Alessandro07, Propriétaire at Hotel Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear CMCNireland,

I totally remember you and I totally remember your stay that was horrible.

I do remember because it was the worst week we had this year with of course all the problem you mention on your comment.

We had also bad luck because the problem with the blanket was just a misunderstanding between me and the cleaning woman that didn't realise that the blanket was outside on the balcony, so she came in the room and she didn't find it.

We thank you to recognize that we refund you a part of your stay but we would like to check with a detail, we are not a 3 stars hotel but a 2 stars.

We will be grateful if in some way you could tell us which way you booked the Hotel to be sure that this kind of misunderstanding never appears again.

Best regards