“Great Food and Excellent Wine At Good Prices”

Le Bistrot Gourmand
Ranked #33 of 842 Restaurants in Cannes
Price range: US$32 - US$48
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Since 2007 Guillaume ARRAGON and his team propose you an home made cooking of Mediterranean recipes.Every morning fresh products are selected on the stalls of the producers and commercçants of the "Marché Forville".We work products according to the seasons and avoid those of import so guaranteeing an optimal quality.
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This was the best meal Steak Au Poivre and an excellent 1999 Haut Medoc.
Friendly service, and very good value.
The decor is quite simple and does not look like a tourist trap

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
1  Thank gavin b

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Based on an attractive menu and stylish decor, my wife, daughter and I decided on this restaurant for our last lunch in Cannes before our return home. We were not disappointed in the least.
Le Bistrot Gourmand is very French in many ways, and one should truly go there without any prejudged ideas of what a French restaurant and service should or should not be like, and just enjoy the experience.
The food: The restaurant offers 3 menus. A speedy version for those in a hurry, at €17 for appetizer + entree or entree + dessert, a 3-course meal for €20 and the gourmet 3-course for €30. You can also order "A la carte", which is what I ended up doing.
I looked at the different choices on all the menus at length, but decided on a Wild mushroom ravioli appetizer, followed by the catch of the day (recommended by the waiter), a wild Daurade, which was sublime - note of caution for those not used to this: the fish was served whole, head on, etc. If you cannot deal with your fish coming whole, perhaps this is not the right place for you, but also, I am sure the kitchen would filet it for you. As a matter of fact, when ordering fish in the south of France, expect it to come whole.
For dessert, the server recommended the Tiramisu. I admit I was hesitant at first, perhaps thinking that he recommended it to get rid of it, but boy was I wrong. I asked him if there was something else, he replied "of course there is, I just wanted to make you an honest recommendation". He was spot on. The dessert was delicious, prepared creatively, with crumbled speculos and a scoop of coffee ice cream on the side. Simply awesome!
My wife chose a goat cheese started and also chose the fish. My daughter started with an artichoke starter and chose a rabbit entree (prepared much like a shepherd's pie).
The food was very good, full of flavor and creatively prepared. The portions are not huge, and if that is what you are looking for, then this is not the right place for you.
One recommendation: if you like fresh fish, I would recommend calling a few days ahead and order the Bouillabaisse. You have to give them 24 to 48 hours heads up. It is made with fish from the Foreville market, which means that it was caught that day! That is just what I plan on doing when I go next!
The service: the waiter seems to me to be the owner. He was in charge of the place, and I say that in a good way. I mean that he owned what he did, spoke about the food offerings with pride, and stood behind his recommendations without any hesitation. Some might be taken aback by his direct style, but I thought it was great. He was very attentive, was correct on all recommendations, and was also very knowledgeable about their wine selection,
All in all, it was a great lunch. The location is great, situated right next to the Forville market, and minutes from the waterfront. I would recommend parking at the Forville parking garage. It will set you back a few euros depending on how long you take, but the restaurant is immediately in front of the exit of the garage. The best would be to get to the area around 10 to 10:30am, browse through the market, and then go to Le Bistrot for lunch! What an experience!
The only drawback is that the prices were a little high. But, given the excellent food and the great service, I did not mind. If you want a great, French meal, served with style and honesty, then don't hesitate. Enjoy!

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Yes! Great value, superb presentation, efficient friendly service and a very tasty meal in a smart bistro!
Evidence that Cannes can get it right!
Don't hesitate - book and go!!
We shall certainly be back.
Tip: lunchtime menus are terrific value and the house wine the best we had in Cannes.

1  Thank stephenf8
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This classic bistro serving authentic local cuisine is nestled in the street that runs from the Croisette past the wonderful covered market from where it buys its ingredients daily and adjusts its menus to include the produce of the season.

You can dine inside or on the pavement outside, our preference on a sunny day. The welcome and service are excellent and the menus should suit all comers who want a quick business lunch through a higher level cuisine bourgeois offering. The choices on the €20 are exceptional. We sated with a kir and a free offering of superior tapenard then enjoyed quite wonderful Beignet of courgette flows stuffed with ricotta and a delicious and well present tartare of mackerel. This was followed by a flavoursome marmite de poisson for my wife and a perfectly cooked entrecôte with pomme allumette. For dessert we both had a peach salade topped with a subtle granita of vervain. It was all washed down by a balanced and inexpensive local rose from the very reasonable and varied list. Shop in the market for the best and freshest local foods and the enjoy lunch at the bistro.

1  Thank Woollybear
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Food and service here is excellent, top notch French. This was our 3rd time here and this time we were with 4 friends, so we took a outside table under the awning for 6. Placed our orders, poured the first glass of wine and as the entree arrived, the skies opened. It poured. 'Faster than a speeding bullet' (yes, I know) the staff was moving us (and others) inside where they started us over with fresh beignets and really delicious plats. . . . These folks are pro's in the kitchen as well as in the dining room - they really care about the quality of their food, as well as the pleasure of their guests. At 20 Euros, the menu is incredible! Everyone seemed to be enjoying the food and the atmosphere. Do not miss Le Bistrot Gourmand when in Cannes - and go a bit early to first enjoy the scene at Marche Forville (just around the corner) if you are a visitor to the area.

2  Thank Owner-KonaKai-Resort