“Disappointing”

Novotel Cannes Montfleury
Ranked #59 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed 8 October 2013

There were a number of disappointments with this hotel, but the positives first:-

Size of my single room, nice big balcony with table and chair.
Bathroom was a large, disabled style wet room
Staff were friendly, always appeared helpful but this often wasn't followed through (sort of a positive!)

Now the negatives:

Dirty - toilet had clearly been used (not flushed).
Ants crawling over the furniture in the bedroom.
Someone else's rubbish in the bin.
Complimentary bottled water was missing from room.
In-room safe didn't work.
Patio door had been left unlocked.
Wifi signal was weak and intermittent (more off than on)
Noisy - my room was on the first floor next to the hotel entrance and next to the internal lifts. I could hear guests coming down the street, into the hotel and those arriving on my floor in the lift. Eventually got to sleep around 1am (& I'm usually a sound sleeper)
Hotel is a taxi ride away from the centre of Cannes. The hotel runs a shuttle service into town, if booked in advance. There didn't appear to be any shops, restaurants or bars near the hotel.

This was a business trip and although I reported the various faults, arriving late, tired and having to be up early the following morning I didn't have the time to follow up. Would have asked to move to another room if I'd had more time.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Smoo3
Eric R, General Manager at Novotel Cannes Montfleury, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you for your review and the time you took to share your opinion about your stay.

It is always very rewarding to read that our guests appreciated the service our staff provides and I will definitely transfer this comment to our team.

Moreover, I’m disappointed to read that there were several aspects that affected your stay in a negative way.

We have addressed your remarks to the housekeeping manager concerning the cleanliness issue and the technical service regarding the WI-FI and safe in order to avoid this matter in the future. We offer 2 complimentary bottles of mineral water on the day of your arrival that should be present in your mini-bar. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards, and for that I sincerely apologize.

As you already stated, it would have been better for you if we changed your room to a room far from the elevator and hotel entrance. It is also required to mention this when you make your reservation so we can block a room that’s suitable for you. Even if you don’t have the time to switch rooms, we are there to help you at any time to move your luggage from one room to the other.

Concerning location: I confirm that the Novotel Cannes Montfleury is situated in a quiet area and at only 10 minutes away from the beach. We also offer a free shuttle service that brings you to the “Palais des Festivals” in less than 6 minutes.

We highly appreciate your constructive comments as it helps us to get better and hope to welcome you soon again for a business or leisure trip!

There are newer reviews for Novotel Cannes Montfleury

Reviewed 7 October 2013

It is very difficult to find the perfect hotel. It's either too far from the beach (as some people have eluded to here), the service could be better, the restaurant is average or the pool comes with a health warning.

Don't get me wrong, the room we had was lovely and it came with a balcony that had stunning views of the mountain (see photos of both), but breakfast was too manic and badly organised, as was the service in the restaurant in the evening. On one occasion, it took nearly two hours to be served a two-course meal.

And it is the little things that make the difference: we ordered a taxi at reception, and when we went down at the pre-arranged time, it wasn't there, because reception forget to process it. Breakfast was plentiful and very good, but as another reviewer has mentioned, table clearance was non existent and the hot water urns always seemed to be empty. You were constantly looking for staff to ask them to help out.

I also didn't read the small print about the pool. During the months of July and August, one has to 'reserve' (i.e., pay) a deck chair otherwise you cannot use them. On the days I was there, the place was rarely full, yet the staff were like zealots enforcing this rule.

Maybe other people don't worry about such trivial things, but for my wife and I, it took the shine of an otherwise wonderful trip to Cannes. But to end on a more positive note: my wife had two massages and thought they were wonderful.

Perhaps I'll rent an apartment next time ...

Room Tip: Request a room with mountain view as those overlooking the pool and restaurant pick up the daytime a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for answering our questionnaire. I appreciate the time you took to share your opinion about your stay.

Concerning location, Novotel Cannes Montfleury is the only hotel proposing a free parking in Cannes and we are at only 10 minutes by walk from the beach. Moreover, we have a free shuttle that brings our guest to the “Palais des Festivals” in less than 6 minutes.

I’m delighted to learn that you enjoyed the room you occupied during your stay with us, but I am very disappointed to read that your experience at the restaurant affected your stay negatively. I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our restaurant manager in order to offer you a more reactive and efficient service.

I confirm that the access to the pool is free as well as the garden area. We charge the sunbeds during July and August like all the hotels in Cannes.

I will pass on your comment regarding the massages to our wellness team and I am sure they will be thrilled to read that you enjoyed it.

Please rest assured that the comfort and the satisfaction of our guests are our first preoccupation. We thank you for your comments and for helping us to improve the quality of our service.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Novotel Cannes Montfleury for your next stay in Cannes.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

This was probably my 4th or 5th time staying at this hotel. It might be generic but you know what you get and the service is very good. The rooms are large and clean. The swimming pool is the largest hotel pool in Cannes and the gardens are pretty. The rooms with a balcony are a great place to have breakfast. There are no nasty surprises when it comes to checking out. The car park is free as is wi-fi. There is no extra charge for having breakfast in the bedroom. And it's only a 10min walk to the beach.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

First of all, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Novotel Cannes Montfleury.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and was pleased with the service and facilities within our hotel.

Be sure that your nice comments about the service, the room that you occupied, the swimming pool, our free underground car park and WI-FI will be transmitted.

I confirm that we are situated at only 10 minutes by walk from the beach and 6 minutes from the “Palais des Festivals” with our free shuttle service.

I’m very pleased to read that you have chosen Novotel Cannes Montfleury to accommodate you during your visit in Cannes and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you for the 6th time at our hotel and many more!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

French hospitality used to be one of the best ? now it is just the past. It seems that it is a hotel for groups, so come early for breakfast or very late, otherwise clear your own table, look for your own cutlery and go hunt for your food. This was not an accident it happened 2 days in a row. Not enough staff. The staff is very willing but there is so much they can do in front of over a hundred of hungry people. The company has lost his soul. Cut cut cut cost, return on investment. But we are still paying a high cost. Still they have no shame to give golden parachute to their top executives that after just a few years get fired or leave because they did not get the CEO job and still take a big check.

Room Tip: Check if they have a group in house
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JP D

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

The Novotel Cannes Montfleury is a leisure/business orientated hotel. Sometimes we accommodate groups, but at any time, this may not affect the service that we are providing. We have passed on the remarks to our restaurant manager in order to strengthen their team training, and deeply regret that you were disappointed.

Most of our staff has been working with us for a long time. Hotel management feels that they are always hearing with great attention any customers’ comments. They would be of course at your disposal to discuss further any complaints or comments and will be happy to assist any disappointed customer to renew their experience with them in order to demonstrate their willing to serve them in the best way we always do.

All your comments have been taken well onto account and be assured that we will do our utmost to fully satisfy your next visit.

I do hope that, despite these issues, we will be able to welcome you again as a client of Novotel.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Booked 2 nights - Survived just 1. We were given a small room in the 1st floor instead of the requested high floor family room. It was quite usual conversation at the reception that is the only room left and take it or leave it. It happened to be right above the garage and with the cars in and out whole night was a quite short sleep. Beds are uncomfortable, not 4 start hotel level. Soundproofing of the room would not be a luxury. Bottom line with such papport qualité / prix we left the next morning.

Room Tip: Avoid 1st floor montain side rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank art1245

Thank you for answering our questionnaire. I appreciate the time you took to share the difficulties you encountered during your stay.

We do our utmost to find the best product to every of our guests. All our family rooms have the same surface. We never downgrade the type of room booked by our clients. Unfortunately this time of the year being the busiest; we do not have very much flexibility to upgrade most guests.

I took good note about your comments regarding the room, which will be addressed accordingly. We continuously strive to meet our guest’s needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you another time at the Novotel Cannes Montfleury.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Lovely stay in Cannes - was given an awful room by an extremely rude man at reception, but thank god he was the only rude person we encountered during our week in Cannes, the next day we were kindly upgraded to a lovely large room overlooking the pool. The shuttle service was extremely useful though we walked a couple of times, was nice to enjoy the stroll when we had time - be warned, it is uphill! We chose room only as we are not early risers, but we looked forward to breakfast everyday somewhere new - usually around Rue Meynadiere... Lloyd at the bar in Novotel was extremely kind and helpful and bent over backwards to make sure we were happy! We are 4 oriental girls from London who were enjoying Cannes immensely and cannot wait to come back again!

Room Tip: There are building works to one side of the building so ask for a room further away.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank NeeNee18

First of all thank you for taking time to relate your stay at the Novotel Cannes Montfleury and I hope you enjoyed your visit in Cannes.

Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. We have addressed the arrogance issue, and spoken with the reception staff in question. On the other hand, Lloyd will be thrilled to read that his work was so well appreciated.

I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your upgraded room overlooking the pool and garden area.

I hope during your next visit you will try out our American buffet. It consists of a various amount of hot drinks, orange juices, 4 different sorts of breads, pastries :brioches, croissants and ‘pains au chocolat’ freshly baked every morning at the hotel, fruits, sausages, bacon, eggs, waffles, and so on. And this all you can eat!

We are delighted that the Novotel Cannes Montfleury lived up to your expectations and hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Nice clean hotel with friendly and helpful staff only downside for me was the location of the hotel. The hotel does run a free shuttle service to the beach/shops/restaurants but for me it's nice to be in walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Eric R, Directeur général at Novotel Cannes Montfleury, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Novotel Cannes Montfleury.

Your kind comments with regards to our staff are highly appreciated.

Concerning location: The Novotel Cannes Montfleury is located in a quiet area and at only 10 minutes by walk from the Croisette and 6 minutes from the Palais des festivals with our free shuttle. Unique in Cannes is our free underground parking lot.

I am very pleased to read that your experience at the Novotel Cannes Montfleury was a success and I look forward to welcome you again for your next stay in Cannes.