“Not up to JW standards but not bad either”
Review of JW Marriott Cannes

JW Marriott Cannes
Ranked #15 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed 13 September 2011

In writing this review, I can't really think of anything that stood out and I was there a week ago. Breakfast was o-k. Not much to report back. Just standard fare. You'd have to flag the waitress down to get eggs or omelets. There's a Sixt car rental place practically next to the reception so that was very convenient for renting a car and exploring the French Rivera. Staff was o-k. As a platinum guest, you get free breakfast and free internet as well as a welcome gift. We went up to the deck and the pool was tiny. There is a great view of the city from the roof top deck but I wouldn't stay at the hotel for sun and definitely not for the pool.

I wouldn't consider this hotel a 5 star hotel that I just want to lounge at the entire day. The price is not worth what you receive in return. In terms of location, there's shopping around and that's pretty much it. If you're looking for activities to do, you can well, just walk around, enjoy the breeze and look at the dinner menus.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aiyagirl

Reviewed 12 September 2011

I moved from a small 4 star nearby boutique hotel to this property once the room rates dropped, following the conclusion of the Cannes Boat Show, as I wanted a full service 5 star hotel for my last few days in Cannes. I wish I had never moved. This is definitely not a property that measures up to JW Marriott standards. The interior of the lobby and hallways is tacky and worn and the beds in the rooms are lacking support and uncomfortable. The entire hotel needs a facelift! I was very dissappointed. Much better value can be found in Cannes.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank globegal
Reviewed 10 September 2011

This is an okay hotel in a great location, but it definitely lacks the qualities you expect from a JW Marriott. The drink and snack prices are outrageous, which is why you never see anybody sitting in the lobby or drinking/eating by the pool.

The rooftop pool has fantastic views of Cannes and the bay, but the area needs to be spruced up and the whirlpools repaired.

The hotel looks and feels a bit tacky for the Croisette and Marriott. It is supposed to have a sleek onyx and silver theme, but it seems more like black plastic and silver plastic.

The rooms are very nice, but the television did not work for four out of five days we were there, and a light switch was broken too. The rooms and lobbies are decorated with huge photo posters of film stars, and these looked great.

The breakfast buffet was mediocre. I arrived here from the Paris Marriott Champs-Elysees - that hotel knows how to do breakfast. They should take the JW away from Cannes and give it to the Champs-Elysees.

3  Thank Robin T
Reviewed 9 September 2011

This is certainly not upto Marriott standard by any means. The service is poor and the rooms are of a fair standard. We stay is April just before the film festival and as far as the hotel was concerned teh film festival wa simporant and we were not. The room was on the top floor and they were building on the roof from early morning till late at night.When we complained we were told sorry and they could not move us .
I have stayed at other hotels in Cannes at this time and never had a problem, would not go back here again and did not like the hotels methord in dealing with a problem

Room Tip: not when hotel in busy
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank stephen1102
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I'm spending my last night here on a three-night stay for a conference which is conveniently being held in the hotel. This has been very helpful, as the meeting was held in the theatre in the lower levels of the hotel, and meeting rooms on level 1.
This used to be called the Hotel Stephanie, and has been recently renovated. The brown decor is quite warm, but some parts of the hotel are still looking a little tired.
The hotel is right on the Cannes Croisette, so strolling along the promenade is very pleasant in the evenings, with many pedestrian streets with shops and cafes/restaurants just behind the hotel. Walking about 15 minutes towards the castle though is more interesting for dinner in the Old Town section.

The hotel lifts are terrible. Sometimes only one works. Some of the buttons don't light up, and they are SLOW. With lots of people going up and down from the conference, it was often faster to walk the stairs. The rooftop terrace is very pleasant, but should offer more shade.
Beds are comfortable, bathroom is good (shower is excellent with large shower rose, and also handheld hose) but internet connection is expensive. 44 Euro for 3 days is ridiculous, when you can get free wifi in London hotels.

In summary, expensive for what you got. It is on the Croisette, so I suppose I should have expected that.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank kittycat888
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We stayed in the JW Marriott Cannes for 6 nights using Marriott reward points. We are also Gold Marriott members. I must explain that we had just finished a 5 night stay at the Marriott in Vienna. The 2 hotels do not compare service wise. Marriott should review their rating systems, since the JW Marriott Cannes is rated a category 7 while the Vienna Marriott is only a category 6! While the JW Marriott Cannes is in a fantastic location, the hotel itself needs some improvements. The biggest need for improvement rests in the restaurant. While the breakfast we received was free to us because of our gold level, others paid over 38 Euros for mediocre food, the worst service, and the honor of being ignored! Most of the wait staff seemed to be there to set tables and avoid all eye contact with guests. Ordering something required yelling at someone as they walked by. The scrambled eggs on the buffet were horrible, so we ordered hard boiled eggs, which came out raw, followed by poached eggs, which were also raw. Don't get me wrong. I know the french undercook eggs compared to Americans. I'm trained as a professional chef, but the whites were raw! We did not eat any other meals at the restaurant, so I can't say how lunch and dinner were, but why would we? As far as the rest of the hotel, parking was 38 euros a day...insane, and we got charged even if we found street parking. They were quick to remove it from the bill, but it never should have been there in the first place. The rooms were pretty, but in need of some repair (loose towel rods, a slow water leak in the bathroom). The front desk staff were some of the only professional ones there. I wonder if they were brought in by Marriott, who only recently took over the former Palais Stephanie. However. I must say that the room was always tidy and the housekeeping staff friendly.The gym was ridiculous- 3 cardio machines and a water cooler which was missing cups some days and when the cups arrived, the water tank was gone....all a staff/service issue. We were just lucky that nobody else wanted to work out while we did. Finally, the pool. I know they recently renovated, but I'm not quite sure what they did. The area is cramped. The pool is tiny and not at all appealing. It is gated all around. I guess this is a safety issue because of a lack of lifeguard, but I'm not sure. At least it was free, since there is no free beach to use. All in all, it was fine for us given that we used Marriott points, but if I was going to pay cash for a hotel, I would chose another.

1  Thank CTCindyH
Reviewed 25 August 2011

When I got to this hotel, it was after a long flight from America to there and I have never slept better! The bathroom, as huge as it was, was interesting. They had an 'unusual' shower but the rest was great. The one thing I would have to complain about would be the view because quite frankly, there isn't one - just open land used for construction dumpsites. Otherwise great service and restaurants (both breakfast and dinner). Would most definitely recommend this hotel!

1  Thank Aisia A