“Fabulous Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Los Angeles
“Fabulous Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We came to the south of France to go on a cruise departing out of Nice. All of the hotel rooms in Nice were booked, as our check in day was the day of the Monaco Grand Prix, AND the last day of the Cannes Film Festival. We were able to book a room here with our Marriott points.
We arrived on the last day of the film festival, so the immediate area was in the process of winding down from the week's activities. Our welcome was friendly, and we were given a room in a quiet area of the hotel on the 5th floor. We had noticed a noise from some type of pipe, we weren't sure what it was, and as it persisted after we came back from dinner, we called maintenance. Maintenance came right away, and we were told that it was a problem with the AC and they would move us to another room. The room they gave us was a bit bigger, on the 3rd floor, and had a fabulous ocean view.
Rooms are small by American standards (this is France), décor is sleek. Front valet was most helpful in pointing us in the right direction to walk for dinner. Front staff was polite and accommodating. All in all, this was a very pleasant experience, and I think if you were to visit Cannes at a time other than the festival week, this would be a very nice choice in terms of location, quality, and hospitality.
FYI: The cruise port in Nice was about 40 minute drive away. Cab fare ran us a rather hefty 130 Euro.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the street if you want quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

All other things was great, except there was no free wifi in the room. They charge you like about 20 euro for wifi in the room. (They have free in the lobby though) I stayed at melia saria barcelona, starhotel milan, they all have free wifi in the rooms. It is unbelievable for hotel like jw marriot not to have it free everywhere.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Frandy B
Kalliopi_Paroussi, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Cannes, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Frandy B,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to hear that you had overall an enjoyable experience and that our service and facilities met your expectations. .

Regarding your comments on the internet prices, we would like to inform you that we offer average prices with other 5 star hotels in Cannes and other Marriott hotels in rest of Europe.
For the convenience of our guests though we offer unlimited internet in the hotel lobby. We sincerely hope that you were able to enjoy this service.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we sincerely hope you to welcoming you back soon

With Best Regards,

California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed the week after the film festival and the pool was closed. We were offered beach vouchers at check-in and that was appreciated. I found the staff to be attentive, friendly and helpful. As to decor - well it's not my style. It isn't modern unless you think it is 1980. Hallways are all black and chrome but OK that's not for me, maybe you'll like that. The room was large for Europe, bathroom had a small shower and a larger tub that also had a shower. All in all the room was fine but hot water - I'm not exaggerating to say you can put the faucet on full and wait 5 minutes to get hot water coming from the spigot. My other complaint is the wi-fi issue. Charging, I think it was €25 per night is stupid. Yes stupid. You don't charge for TV - why charge for wi-fi? "Because we can" I'm sure. Well I'm not sure that's working out for you. I expect Wi-fi like I expect hot water - not a separate charge. That's a deal-killer for me.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gary R
Dear Jack R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on our TripAdvisor webpage.

We appreciate your feedback in regards to the size of the room, and the service you experience from our employees.

Regarding your comments on the swimming pool, we are happy to find out that you enjoyed the beach vouchers instead.

Concerning the internet prices that you have mentioned we would like to inform you, that we are offering average prices with other 5 star hotels in Cannes. However for the convenience of our guests we offer unlimited intenet in the hotel lobby. We sincerely hope that you had the chance to use this service as well.

Once again thank you very much for getting back to us.

We thank you for having chosen the JW Marriott Cannes and wish you a great summer

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Recently stayed at the JW Marriott Cannes. Hotel is in a perfect condition. I was a little disappointed that the roof top pool was closed, but they gave us a voucher for the beach. Beach was right across the street and a Sandy Beach. Bed was super comfortable, room was large, bathroom large with great soaps and shampoo. Free wi-fi in the lobby only. Staff was very nice, helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were at the end of a long hall and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I'm a Marriott platinum member and we were taken good care of by the wonderful Margaux from the guest relation department. She really answered all our needs.
However, I felt a little cheated by being given the wrong info in advance:
I booked a 3 night weekend at the end of May & beginning of June. When I made the reservation through the Marriott website it was indicated that the roof top pool will be closed till the end of May. During my stay I discovered that the pool won't be opened till the 4th of June! That was unfair as I was expecting to use it in June. They did provide us with free vouchers for the beach but that still didn't make up for not being able to enjoy the selection of the hotel facilities. Big disappointment!!
Secondly, the prices of the minibar items are outrageous!
I stayed in JW Marriott hotels all around the world but never saw such an attempt for a rip off!!
They actually have the guts to charge 8 euros for a can of soft drink!! I understand this is Cannes and a luxury hotel, but 8 euros for a Pepsi??? I could accept 3 or 4 euros which is very high anyway but 8 euros?!
Over all the hotel was ok, it's a pity it doesn't keep up with the smaller details...

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elad G
Dear Elad G,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on our TripAdvisor webpage.

It was with great pleasure to read that Margaux, was able to make a memorable difference to your stay. We thank you for taking note of her name and for sharing your experience online.

Regarding your comments on the swimming pool, we do acknowledge your disappointment. Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience you went through as described. We were happy though that you were able to use the complimentary beach vouchers offered instead.

Concerning the minibar prices that you have mentioned, we would like to inform you, that among our competitors in Cannes, the 5 star hotels, we are offering average prices. Comparing ourselves with other Marriott Hotels in the rest of Europe the prices are also very competitive.

Dear Elad G, we would like to ensure you that all your comments in detail have been shared with the our Management.

Once again thank you very much for getting back to us. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the JW Marriott Cannes as we would like to extend to you the hospitality and demonstrate to you the high standards of service we are better known for.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was in town for an event and this was one of the partner hotels so I received a discounted rate. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to check into my room until after 3pm. When I was able to check in, someone from the desk walked the key over to me without any information. I learned from a friend also staying in the hotel that the rooftop pool was CLOSED. They didn't even have the courtesy to inform their guests. Another person didn't find out until she took the elevator up to the roof and saw construction happening. The front desk also didn't inform me that beach passes were available for free since the rooftop pool wasn't open. A few days into my stay, an undated letter appeared stating that construction to remove equipment was taking place but the letter NEVER stated explicitely that the pool/roof were closed.

It's annoying that free WiFi is only in the lobby area. At the price they charge for the room, WiFi should be included in every room. Since the roof was closed, I tried to barter for free in room WiFi but they weren't having it.

The hotel décor is modern (think black, gold, disco-esque) and the rooms are large. There are robes, slippers and safes in the room. Minibar is also in the room but there are no prices. I didn't find out until check out that the candy bar and juice I had cost 7 euros each!! There is a shower and bath in the room. I never used the shower because it's small (on par with your typical French hotel bathroom). The tub is quite slippery and difficult to get in and out of. There was some noise and door slamming early in the morning in the halls so beware if you are a light sleeper.

The location is good but there are probably better options in a similar price range on the Croisette. The concierge was helpful and I feel like the desk staff is nice enough, but they didn't go out of their way to make it a great experience. I agree that it's NOT a 5 star hotel. I would not come back here if I was in Cannes.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank LVJ1980
Kalliopi_Paroussi, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Cannes, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear LVJ1980,

Thank you very much for taking the time comment on your recent stay with us.

We were very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations and we would like to sincerely apologize for the experience you went through as described.

We totally feel your disappointment for the fact that our pool was not available. Please be rest assured that we had indeed communicated this information into our website as well as to travel partners well in advance and we are very sorry to find out that you have not been informed at all regarding this prior to your arrival.

Regarding our prices that you have mentioned, we would like to let you know, that among our competitors in Cannes, the 5 star hotels, we are offering average prices. Comparing ourselves with other Marriott Hotels in the rest of Europe the prices are also very competitive.

Please be informed that we have shared all your comments in detail with the Management for a further review.

It goes without saying that the hotel places great importance on the comfort of each and every guest and we do value your feedback so we can continually monitor our service standards.

Somerset, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Being Marriott Gold Elite member I expected the best at this property for my 5 night stay.. Room comfortable but corridors dark and dingy. We always ask in advance for extra towels and pillows but not provided. Had to ask each and every day. Housekeeping left a lot ot be desired with soap not even being changed. Several times the toilet paper was replaced with 1/2 used rolls! Glasses taken away and not replaced and kettle never emptied of water. Room service staff entered our room after knocking, without our permission, and for no reason as nothing had been ordered or needed to be removed. The only night we did order food in our room, we both got very sick. Breakfast buffet a joke for a "5" star hotel, with very little choice and poor quality of food. Please do not go here thinking you will have English speaking TV outside of the news. Only Sky, BBC, CNN news, nothing else. We had to order 18euro movies in order to have entertainment should we not wish to sleep early. Noisy in the streets outside and in the corridors. Could not use the rooftop pool due to the film festival so have no opinion of that, unfortunately. Our elevator was shared with staff moving furniture etc. Very poor communication with the staff at this hotel, probably would not be the case if you were a celebrity of course.
Would never stay here again. Much better hotels in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Topolli
Kalliopi_Paroussi, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Cannes, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Topolli,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the JW Marriott Hotel.

We sincerely apologize for the experience you went through as described in regards to your stay.

Looking back, we certainly appreciate that you shared your comments already through a private message and you gave us the opportunity to present our excuses and to make it up.

As already informed you we have shared your feedback with the Department Heads for a further review.