“Very glad for having chosen Le Grand Hotel”
Review of Le Grand Hotel

Le Grand Hotel
Ranked #13 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 June 2009

I don't like old and overdecorated hotels and the Belle Epoque style in general so finding a proper modern hotel in Cannes was not easy. But thanks to trip advisor, I did it.

I arrived at Le Grand Hotel after Swissotel Metropole Geneva which is old, overpriced, unhip and boring like most Geneva hotels. The check in was the fastest I had ever seen, my credit card swiped once and that's it. No forms, passports, signatures and within two minutes of walking into the hotel, I was up in my room. The receptionist lady did her job very fast and to my pleasure there were no fake smiles, "oh you are so welcome", "you are a special guest" kind of talk.

When I walked in to my suite on the 11th top floor I had a big, big surprise. My jaw probably dropped as the room is really and I mean really cool, decorated very tastily with 60's retro style and I had super fantastic panaromic sea views over a huge terrace. For such a long time I had not come across such a nice hotel (excluding Park Hyatt Milano) even though I routinely stay in expensive hotels where you find fake smiles and boring rooms.

Did I tell you the ceiling height is 4 meter or so and the undivided windows are almost as high ? When I say the view is super fantastic this doesn't mean I am a hillbilly who sees sea for the first time in my life and so I over exaggerate. No, the views are of the highest quality to the degree that they can not get any better.

LGH has a very nice location, on La Croisette, the main street in Cannes and the building is not adjacent to the main road but there is a huge garden between the two. This reduces traffic noise to zero and anyway there are not much cars on this road.

The hotel facilities are fine as I have used them. Room service is fast and efficient. The staff have somehow been trained to deliver food and then...run away really fast so if you will tip make sure you have money in your hand otherwise by the time (5 secs ?) you get the banknote out from your wallet they will have made it to the elevator. Once I received breakfast within 5 minutes of placing an order. I do not know if the garcons were hand picked from local athletic clubs but things really work fast here :-)

The bathroom selections are better than other hotels who tend to put alcohol smelling cosmetics. Everything is bulgari so if you do not have your own cosmetics or enjoy collecting hotel cosmetics you will not suffer. I always carry high quality cosmetics thanks to my wife who made me a cosmetics addict so here I only used the soap which is of a decent quality.

Is it all positive in the hotel ? Well, there are almost 15 arabic tv channels but only 3 in english so this is a bit strange for me. The owner may be an arab but why not add in a couple more english channels ??

There is also a small beach here for hotel customers only.

Cannes is an expensive city and should you have money to spend then you will enjoy some serious quality time. This suite is around 800 euros but it is woth that price given how gorgeous it is.

First time in Cannes as I had prejudices against coming here for things would be superficial and French people would be rude and I would suffer for not speaking French and so on. How stupid of me ! Everything and everyone is very nice here. Cannes is Cannes and is not Paris after all.

That's why I like to travel. You get rid of your stereotypes and be more of an international person.

• Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank siberianexpress

Reviewed 8 January 2009

I've stayed at plenty of hotels in Cannes, and although I love the old classics on the Croisette, it's nice to finally be able to stay at a modern, contemporary, design hotel that's also right on the beach.

A bit larger than most boutique hotels, it definitely has the design feel; the furniture, wall and floor coverings, lighting- it's all high end, very contemporary, and gorgeous! The rooms are spacious, have all the modern conveniences, and there's no gold foil in sight! Clean lines, crisp corners, and luxurious touches- I love it!

I also ate dinner at the restaurant and had a very good meal; not the best I've had in Cannes, but much better than I expected given that it was off-season and it's a hotel restaurant.

Very convenient beach access, but because it's the only hotel that's set back a hundred feet or so from the street, it's also a tad quieter than most of its neighbors.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Travel_Guy_76
Reviewed 13 December 2008

Don't be misled by the name. If you expect one of the "grand dames" from the Victorian era then be prepared for a shock - those days, and the hotel that once stood on the site, have long gone.
Don't be sad though! Today's Grand is in fact a medium-sized boutique-style hotel perfectly located on La Croisette, though unlike it's more famous neighbours it's set back in it's own gardens which provide a protection from the 24-hour busy-ness of the main promenade.
Don't visit the Grand for tradition, the style is modern/retro boutique; the service is restrained yet polite. We didn't use the hotel bar and restaurant - there are so many choices at much better value locally. To the rear of the hotel are a number of streets packed with a wide variety of places to eat and drink. Unless you are looking for something very special and up-market then you'll probably find something to suit in this area. We had good dinners/lunches at La Mere Besson, Pastis, il Teatro and Caffe 50.
Even after reading previous reviews we arrived at the front of the hotel to find access by car impossible. There's a car park at the rear but in the dark we knew it was going to be difficult. The staff opened the gates at the front, let us in and parked the car for us - Perfect!
It was good value too. We booked a package through Expedia of flight, car and hotel for £300 each for 4 nights.
We thoroughly enjoyed the stay - ideal for lazy strolls around the town. We'd strongly recommend this hotel for what it is. If you want the glamour and glitz of the big hotels then head off down La Croisette, stay in the big names and pay the big prices.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Coffeeman1960
Reviewed 17 September 2008

the asset is a little 'tired' but location cannot be beat and it has parking. typical cannes bs about ripping you off on beach fees but probably closest nice hotel to the public beach. staff not friendly but competent and room/furnishings nice. at 1/3 the price of martinez & carlton, you more than get what you pay for

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barow44
Reviewed 8 September 2008

The Grand Hotel Cannes is perfectly located in the middle of the famous Croisette and offers amazing views on the Mediterranean sea. The hotel is the only one offering a private garden with palm trees that keeps away the noise from the Croisette.

The Hotel has been fully renovated in a modern 70's style, really nice. Great peaces of design furniture from Philippe Starck and other famous designers. Rooms are very spacious, A/C, internet access, beds are large and confortable. Bugari amenities in the bathroom that are also very well designed.

All rooms with seaview have large terrace with great long chairs perfect to enjoy your breakfast or a cocktail after a pleasant day in the Riviera area.

Great staff friendly and helpful.

The Restaurant offers great mediterranean creative cuisine. The Bar is also a must with orange design armchairs and a very friendly barman.

The hotel has its own private beach with a pleasant staff, great beach facilities including bar and restauranrt. Fantastic design and confortable sunbed for two.

The hotel has also a very convenient car park on the back.

Last but not least rates at Le Grand Hotel Cannes are reasonable especially in comparison with the luxury hotels around.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple