“Fantastic with perfect location”

Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion
Ranked #8 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Stockholm, Sweden
“Fantastic with perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

The service at Gray d' Albion was impeccable, the room was spacious with a great bed and very confortable pillows. Although the toilet was a bit too small, it did not matter as I was on my own. The location is superb. Near the beach, great shopping and restaurants, as well as within walking distances to Cannes most famous tourist attractions.
The hotel's restaurant '38' is of great service and high quality food. Internet access is not included in the room rates, which I think is a real pitty for the standard of this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank SaladaVerde
Voyageur_expedia, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
Dear SaladaVer,

First of all, let me thank you for having taken the time to let us know about your satisfaction on the TripAdvisor site, and tell you that I do really appreciate the time you spent to send your comments.

Always trying to offer our guests a quality of service worth the image the Group Lucien Barrière wishes to give (despite the fact that we hadn't fullfill all your expectation - the wirelees internet should be free at the end of the year in our hotel), it is certain that your letter pushes us to continue our efforts as it is always encouraging to notice that everyone’s efforts contribute to make our guests’stay pleasant.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon at the Gray d’Albion,
Yours faithfully

François PORTIGLIA
Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

Nice hotel in great location. Room is smaller than expected but still comfortable. Many annoying details to put off though. No swimming pool or fitness centre. Parking is limited and expensive. Pretentious attitude is reflected in poor service and sky-high prices for room service, minibar and beach service at almost €40 a day. Food is not great but there are many good restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Voyageur_expedia, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Dear PaulMartins,

This mail to inform you that I carefully read your comments that you sent through TRIPADVISOR after your stay at the GRAY D’ALBION HOTEL.

We constantly do our most to offer a quality of service worth the image we wish to give to our hotels, and I deeply regret that the service you were given at the GRAY D’ALBION has not been up to your expectations.

I want you to know that we consider your guests’ comments with importance and use them to take the necessary steps to improve and reach an irreproachable level of service, which obviously, has not been the case this time for the food and beverage service and the general value for money of your stay.

I personally listed what went wrong with the heads of department concerned. Measures have been taken to remedy those problems which again, I regret. Usually, the quality of service of that hotel is held in high reputation but, this time, it has not been at the level of its reputation, and I wish you could accept our apologies.

However, I hope you will still trust us, remain a guest of our hotel, and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again during the low or mid season which is more affordable. If you do so, don’t hesitate to call me for your next reservation. I will personally take care of your accommodation.

Hoping you will give us a chance to show you that the GRAY D’ALBION can be up to your expectations.

Yours faithfully.

François PORTIGLIA.
Managing Director.
Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2011

I go regularly to Cannes on business and always stay at the hotel Gray d'Albion. Staff is very helpful, rooms are well appointed, location is perfect. Pricey but good value.

Room Tip: I recommend the rooms overlooking the garden
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank sil55
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

I am a business traveller, and when I arrive, I'm tired, and just need some room service, some internet, and to get to some time-critical work.

Ordering room service here goes as follows:
Call room service. No answer. (7P)
Call room service. No answer. (7:15P)
Call front desk. No answer (7:20P)
Now the phones in the room are dead because they weren't charged prior to my arrival.
Go down to front desk to tell them we need room service (7:30P)
Told that it's not possible because the people at room service aren't answering the phone.
When asked, "so what should I do to get room service?"
Told don't know, maybe try calling them later.

It's now 8:15, and nothing.

This isn't a big deal. And someone else is paying for the room, which is upwards of $500/night. I don't like to complain about silly things, but paying $500 for a "nice" hotel in Cannes with service that *literally* shrug their shoulders at the idea that you would want to order something off the room service menu (a $40 hamburger) is *nowhere you want to stay.*

I've stayed in a lot of other hotels in Cannes, and they understand that people who come here are not necessarily on vacation, but rather, on deadline and appreciative of good service. I look forward to staying in those hotels again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank sl_fpo
Voyageur_expedia, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
Dear sl_fpo.,

I was very concerned with your yesterday’s comment, posted on TRIPADVISOR website.

We always pay special attention to our customers’ comments and opinions in order to improve service and reach the impeccable standard you are entitled to expect from a hotel like ours. In consequence, I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that occurred yesterday morning. We constantly endeavour to provide the high-quality service that we consider Lucien BARRIERE hotels represent and profusely regret that this incidence tainted your opinion of our hotel.

Without going into the specific circumstances of your comment, I would like to draw your attention to a few of the points mentioned in your message :

- Since last Sunday, we have met problems with our telephone switch board, reason why you had such difficulties to reach our room-service. This problem should be solved today ;
- I do apologize for the answer given by our front office attendant ; she should have taken your order. I have met my Front Office Manager, and the employee concerned, who obviously couldn’t give me any explanation about her behaviour ;

Once again, accept my sincere apologies, hoping you will give us a chance to show you during the rest of your stay until next Thursday, that the Gray d’Albion Hotel can be up to your expectations.

I remain,

François Portiglia
Wirral, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

We have been going to this sophisticated hotel for many years and have never been disappointed as this hotel exudes quality in every respect. Every item, be it food, breakfast, or room amenities is of the highest quality-nothing has been sacrificed on a price basis and the service is excellent and unobtrusive, e.g.the bedrooms are serviced twice a day. The hotel is situated conveniently for all transport, amenities and shopping- one of the special features which makes this hotel unique is that guests have a special facility of entrance to a beautiful designer shopping arcade and cafes, which is particularly useful in inclement weather.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robinwirral
London UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

Stayed at this hotel for one night in February for leisure. Overall a great hotel for Cannes and I will certainly recommend.

Location:
By looking at the map I got the impression that the hotel was far away from the beach but in fact it’s almost right on Le Croisette. There is a bus stop for the airport express right outside the hotel if you are travelling to the airport. The main bus station is not far away either and the train station is only 5 minutes walk if you would like to visit Nice or Monte Carlo.

Public Area/Restaurant:
The hotel must have been refurbished lately – the lobby is fresh with some modern arts. Very contemporary and clean. The restaurant is also new and comfortable. Breakfast is great - not a huge selection of food (if you are used to English breakfast, but for continental Europe the selection is great) but good quality. Hot items can also be prepared by request. Good start of the day!

Room:
I stay at a suite on the 8th floor. The biggest selling point of the suite is the terrace and the superb view. It is very spacious and clean, with good touch (such as orchids in room). There is a kettle for making tea and coffee. Very big bed with good quality of linen and it is very comfortable.
If I have to be very picky, the size of the bathroom is slightly smaller than I expected. However there is a shower, a bathtub, a TV and excellent guest amenities so it is more than sufficient.
A strong point of the room: it is very quiet since it’s not direct on the main road.

I would recommend booking a sea view room or a suite to treat yourself in this wonderful and chic city.

Service:
Service in this hotel, especially in the reception, is great. All the members are friendly, helpful and have a “can do” attitude.

Verdict:
A very good hotel. Strongly recommend! You get a feeling that you are actually living in Cannes when you stay at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jtung74
Grosseto, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2011

In general I would say this has been a very nice stay. The location is perfect in order to reach the hart of Cannes and the exhibition centre. The room was very nice, quite, clean and comfortable. I stayed in a double for single use and I enjoyed my king size bed. I had to choose between 6 pillows of different size! If they would have had even different level of "softness" it would have been perfect!
Breakfast in therm of quality and varity of the offer was exactly what I was expecting to have. I would say "without praise or blame". Here comes the first issue. During the service, a couple of "bottles" of cleaning products were on a desk in the center of the breakfast room, right next to the croissant tray, the coffe and the tea. This disappointed me a little. Evidently I didn't have croissant...
On the other hand, what happened at check out disappointed me very much. As I was in the need to move my staff from the room to the underground parking (good but not that cheap) in 2 times, I left one part of the baggage in the room and took the other part into the car. I left the "do not enter" card on the door, in order to avoid the maid to lose time entering my room yet. I took longer than supposed, (anyhow not more than 10 minutes) as they had only on lift working (the other was under maintenance) and I was very surprised when I returned back to my room and found the card "please clean up my room". Somebody of the staff entered my room (with my staff on the bed), not considering at all the "do not enter" card, and decided what to do on my behalf. This is not fair at all and it annoyed me very much. In my opinion it makes no sense at all asking the guests' "instructions", not paying any attention on what they "says".

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business