“Not living up to expectations”

Hotel Barriere Le Gray d'Albion
Ranked #9 of 126 Hotels in Cannes
Reviewed 11 November 2010

This hotel has prices at a premium level, I paid 308 EUR per night for an Executive room. The room was small and really nothing special, and the bathrooms are in need of renovation. The claimed "partly seaview" is maybe technically true, but I almost had to lean out over the balcony railing in order to get a small glimpse of the sea between the buildings concealing it.

The hotel does not deliver what they promise. In the leaflet given at arrival it says "The bar - snack on demand" but when asking for a snack in the bar only drinks were available. When having paid to watch a movie, it turned out that the pay-TV did not work. The staff could not fix it, but charged for it anyway! I had booked a room including breakfast buffet - it turned out that the breakfast buffet was very basic and there was no hot food on it. So in order to get some hot food for breakfast, from the second day onwards I paid 33 EUR for room service breakfast with egg and bacon - after having paid 308 EUR for a room including breakfast.

Like the hot breakfast, many other things are also charged extra. Even the little shampoo bottle and the plastic comb in the bathroom come with a price tag. The minibar does not have some basic things like a chocolate bar - instead I had to pay 8,50 EUR for 55g of cashew nuts.

Finally, during my stay the elevators were under renovation. Out of three elevators one was under replacement - understandable - but the second one could not be called to the upper floors. So in the morning everyone going down had to use one single elevator. Stopping at almost every floor 0-9, and having to wait for it to arrive, it took me between 4 and 8 minutes (!) to get from my 9th floor room to ground level. I understand that a hotel needs to exchange elevators, but to partly disable one when there are only two operational ones is a really bad move.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,342)

Reviewed 4 September 2010

It has been a while since we stayed, but we had a lovely time at the hotel.

The room and furnishings looked very new (I think there was some recent refit throughout the hotel), and the bathroom was beautiful.

As others have said, the hotel is modern (with a classic Cannes grand lobby), and the staff are friendly and helpful. It is a very short walk to the beach, the train station and a large number of reasonably priced eateries. Service was good. We weren't too impressed with the room cleaning - the clean appeared to be done superfast, with not much attention to the bathroom (a must for us) and not always changing the bed linen.

Oh I wouldn't recommend adding breakfast to your booking. We always like to have breakfast included in our booking, but it added around £30 per night to my booking - the cheapest I could find it anywhere. It certainly wasn't worth the cost, there are cafes and a great supermarket nearby (Monprix - which has fresh cheap bakery products) for a nice relaxed breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trippingLondon
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We spend 6 nights here last September. We got a bargain deal on Booking.com and then they upgraded us for free on check in. The hotel is really modern, the staff are friendly and helpful and the room was stunning. It is located on Rue d'Albion and a 30 second walk to the beach and a two minute walk to the train station providing easy access to Nice, Juan le Pins, Antibes, Monaco etc. We didn't dine in the hotel at all as there are so many excellent restaurants close by, most providing 3-course value menus for around €25 - Caveau 30 is a must!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2010

We had a wonderful stay. The room was comfortable with a contemporary elegant style. The front desk staff were all friendly and accommodating. The hotel was conveniently located close to the beach, restaurants, and shops; and the public train system was within walking distance. We got a great price on the room because of an internet special, so keep your eye out for deals on room prices. One downside was that we had to pay for internet access.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2010

I am a regular client of the Barriere group hotels and have always been happy with their standards.
However the Gray d'Albion is the exception that has dissapointed me incredibly!!
let's start with mentioning that because of business reasons we were upgraded to the 9th executive floor...the best apparently!
We get into our 2 communicating rooms just to find layers of dust everywhere! I just kept sneezing because of it. When I mentioned it at the reception they said that the hotel had been closed for 2 weeks for "improvements"!!
after they finally did some dusting and I go to take a bath I realize once I'm in the bathtub that the water is yellow orange....like orange juice!!! It was a nightmare looked like a horror movie!! The plumber came and apparently they had this problem as a consequence for the works they had been doing while the hotel was closed. The orange juice water was on every room in the executive floor!!! they never even tested the water to try that it was ok for the guests!!!
I dreamed of this vacation to take long relaxing baths and ended up taking fast showers to get out of there as soon as possible!! The bathroom is sooo old and ugly!
Other than that...we had expired coke in our minibar, the room was not yet done at 2pm, they charged us for drinks or coffees that we never had, the card for the elevator that brings you to your floor was never working, the phone in one of our rooms was not working, the elevator got broken in the night and we had to use a secondary elevator, we asked for room service everynight and 3 out of 5 nights they brought us the wrong food...
I really think this hotel is a rip off and does not deserve the ranking they gave him. If you are used to cleanliness and high service avoid the Gray d'Albion!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank debparisParis
Reviewed 5 September 2009

We visited the hotel in late July and although we enjoyed our stay sadly we were disturbed by noise from other guests. We complained and in response were offered a suite with sea view for the cost of a basic room. We took them up on this offer and have just returned having had a fabulous second stay at the hotel. We were given a beautiful suite overlooking the sea with a lovely bottle of wine to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were impressed by the response to our complaint which we feel was a very generous offer. It shows that the management of this hotel is first class; they really care about their guests. We were also very impressed with the customer service we received during our stay; the staff were lovely to us.
So well done and thank you so much Gray D'Albion for the excellent treatment we received from you and for making this holiday our best ever.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gandj50
Reviewed 2 September 2009

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Gray d'Albion for 2 nites last week. It was great ... Great Air conditioning, location, concierge service, the bed was very comfortable, private beach was great .... Cordial staff ... they were so friendly and helpful.. No complaints at all about Hotel Gray D'albion. I'd definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple