“Couldn't care less!”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Couldn't care less!”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Waited 45 minutes between course 1 and 2 which eventually came up burnt.
Apologies at first but when it came to paying it was a different story and sarcastic comments from the owner.
Very expensive mistake. Noticed other clients questioning their bills too.
Don't bother as so many restaurants to choose from.

• Visited September 2013

Galway, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very nice”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stopped here on our way back to the apartment and are glad we did! The staff are friendly and the food is very good for its price range. We sat outside and noticed that a lot of the other restaurants and bars were filled with adults, but Pause has a mixture of families and singles. The atmosphere in the street the cafe is located in is wonderful. Would definitely eat here again.

• Visited July 2013
United kingdom
“Brilliant! You must eat here”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We found Pause earlier in the day as we went to the tea emporium opposite which does a great iced tea in the summer. Pause was packed at lunch time and the food that was being served looked incredible so we went for dinner that night.
The staff are wonderful, very friendly and make you feel welcome. They do an amazing 3 course meal for 19€ we had salad niciose, the biggest plate of mussels in a white wine broth served with bread and fries then a to die for lemon meringue pie.
We are not recommending Pause just for the huge potions, the quality of the food is fantastic, even if you cant finish your plate lol... Value for money for sure, we are sad we didn't find this restaurant sooner as we would eat here everyday if we could :-)

• Visited June 2013
London
“Where the locals go”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

If you go to Pause Cafe for lunch, rain or shine, you will see loads of air kissing (and yes, that includes the men) between staff, guests, friends, locals...everyone seems to know everyone here.

I had eaten lunch and dinner here in October and came back today, eager to try it again and see if the welcome was still as good. And it is. It's fine if you're on your own, I was shown a lovely table at the front, where I could watch the world go by and listen to the people around me. The two middle-aged guys behind me seemed to be plotting to buy a huge property near Mandelieu and transform it into either a high class brothel ('somewhere you can take you secretary and no-one will know') or an events centre - maybe the same thing, really - I saw them again twenty minutes later outside another cafe, having another Pastis and no doubt discussing what to do with the potential earnings from this not-to-be-missed bargain.

But I digress... the welcome at Pause Cafe was as warm as ever, the food tasty (langoustines in puff pastry with a very fresh salad), the wine palatable and although the creme brulee was just a little too sweet for my taste, it was a pleasant, unhurried lunch in a place which is full to the brim with locals, buzzing and, unlike many places in Cannes, totally unpretentious. I think I might go back for lunch tomorrow...

• Visited April 2013
London
“A gem in jaded Cannes”
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I ended up here totally by chance after being told at Da Laura further down the road that they were fully booked (strange, there were some empty tables but I guess they did not want a table for one when they could have had two people instead). What a welcome change at Pause Cafe - the waitress sat me down outside (the weather was balmy), brought me a menu and asked me if I wanted some magazines. That was so kind of her and I was made to feel welcome and valued, even though I was on my own that evening.

The food is great, freshly cooked, tasty and well priced. It was so good I went back for lunch the next day (on my own again). The same waitress recognised me, smiled and offered me a free Kir with the menu (lots of salads, omelettes, croque-monsieur and a few plats du jour at lunchtime). I had one of the the plats du jour - and by the look of things, I wasn't the only one - which was fantastic: scampi with a lime sabayon, quinoa and lots of vegetables, a glass of Rose, a carafe of water and great coffee afterwards - all for the princely sum of just over 21€ which, for Cannes, is pretty good value (a salad at a beach restaurant will cost you €25).

The best thing about this place is that it's full of locals, people come to say hello to the team, the waitresses are charming and the food is good. Definitely on my 'must go again' list.

• Visited October 2012